Herping Japan?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DracoRJC

Herping Japan?

Post by DracoRJC »

I've found myself super curious lately about the herps of Japan. Andrias have always been one of my bucket list species since I was a kid, and some of the rat snakes, smaller salamanders, and pit vipers are pretty neat there as well. Anyone care to share any pictures or experiences from Japan?

Ryan
LouB747

Re: Herping Japan?

Post by LouB747 »

While I live in SoCal, I fly for a Japanese airline and spend at least 4 days a month in Japan. I'm actually in Japan now and looking to have a look after I finish typing this. Anyways, I'm always in the Tokyo area, near the airport (Narita). The snake species here are a bit limited. Most of the cooler finds are down south in Japan. I believe the island of Okinawa having maybe the best species. Anyways, I make do with with I have access to. The season here in Tokyo is just starting. I found this Japanese Rat Snake, a lifer for me, on my last trip here about a week ago.

And here's a Japanese Keelback I found late last year.

While these were found on the road, I find most my snakes under AC.

Oriental Odd Toothed Snake

My favorite snake in the Tokyo area is the Forest or Burrowing Rat Snake (Euprepiophis Conspicillatus)

And there's the occasional viper here as well....

Anyways, there are some snakes here. Again, most of the cooler looking ones are further south.

Lou
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Re: Herping Japan?

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

And while you're in Japan, do make a side trip to that little island not far to the south. Also quite good for herping, I hear :-)