Salamander IDs (Marin County)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

IReallyLikeHerping

Salamander IDs (Marin County)

Post by IReallyLikeHerping »

I had a conference a couple weekends ago in San Francisco for work. Luckily, I was able to slip away with 3 or 4 co-workers to walk around Marin country for a couple hours. Coming from Utah, I was eager to see something new. I apologize that these aren't macro shots (just cell phone), but any help IDing a couple of these would be appreciated.

Coast range fence lizards (Sceloporus occidentalis bocourtii) were basking up the trail, when the cool shade transitioned to warm sunshine.

Found this coast garter snake (Thamnophis elegans terrestris) several paces off the trail, out of view from the main trail. Apparently Muir Woods attracts the type of "nature lovers" that enjoy stoning wildlife. This guy was barely alive and moving, with obvious trauma to his head and neck.

A nice California slender salamander (Batrachoseps attenuata) found under a log just off the boardwalk.

Here's where things get a little fuzzy for me. Found this really dark, apparently newly-metamorphosed salamander under a rock at the edge of a creek. The area under the rock was semi-submerged by the creek, as was the specimen. I'm leaning toward Oregon ensatina (Ensatine eschscholtzii oregonensis)...?

This is the most intriguing one to me. This larvae phase salamander was found further up the hill than the others, actually close to where the garter was found. It was on a steep hillside where a creek had run down, but mostly dried, leaving behind only a couple small pools. She was sitting in the sunlight at the bottom of the pool. Her size is somewhat larger than the others, and she has a small set of gills, not easily seen in this image. She's also lighter in color, being a light brown or tan, as opposed to nearly black like the two above. I thought this was possibly a newt larvae, but that's a guess, and I wouldn't have an idea on the species. What you think?
IReallyLikeHerping

Re: Salamander IDs (Muir Woods)

My apologies for the links....not sure what I did wrong on that. Do these links not qualify as URLs when I place them between the URL tags?
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

What you want to do is use IMG files.
If you upload your photos to Photobucket, you can simply copy the image from there and paste it into your message here.
IReallyLikeHerping

Fixed. Awesome. Thanks, Steve.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

You're welcome.
Glad I could help you with photo posting, because I don't know squat about salamanders - can't help you there! :lol:
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

The salamanders, including the larva are California Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon ensatus)

Derek
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

You may want to remove the location of your finds, as locality data on the forum is limited to the county level.

Also, California Giants are Species of Special Concern in California, which means that touching or handling of the species is prohibited.

Thanks, IReallyLikeHerping

Derek
IReallyLikeHerping

I wasn't expecting it to be Dicamptodon. Doesn't really look like one, but again, I haven't really herped this area before. Thanks for the ID.
El Garia

Re: Salamander IDs (Marin County)

Post by El Garia »

Although they're not encountered as often as slenders, newts, and Ensatinas, they are common throughout their range, in the appropriate habitat. Still, very nice finds :)