Retic Underwater Video

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

Retic Underwater Video

Post by LouB747 »

Just back from another Singapore trip. Found 11 or 12 O Whips in about 2 hours. Mating season I guess. 2 snakes within 5 feet. 3 within 100 feet. 2 hooked up. Do snakes use pheromones to attract each other? I'm guessing so!

Found a nice small retic.

Got great video. Finally the GoPro was the camera of choice!

Lou
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Re: Retic Underwater Video

Post by Scott Waters »

GREAT! I just shared this via FB and Twitter (Herp Nation).

scott
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Awesome.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Awesome indeed!!!
chrish

Post by chrish »

That is awesome indeed.

This frame from your video maybe one of the coolest herp shots I've seen in a while -

orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

chrish wrote:That is awesome indeed.

This frame from your video maybe one of the coolest herp shots I've seen in a while -

+1.....

Great video...love the u/w parts, Lou!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

That was really lovely to watch. Thank you for posting it.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks for all for the nice comments. Scott, thanks for sharing. Maybe one of my videos will actually get some views!

Yeah, I like that view looking up to. It was actually harder to get than you might imagine. I had the GoPro on a pole, and stuck it in the water. Then I tried my best to lean back and get myself out of the video. With the GoPro, you can't see what you are recording, so I was really pleased with the outcome. Also the GoPro doesn't record much sound while underwater, so I had to record separate audio and edit it back in.

It's nice to be able to share an experience, and that's what I try and capture.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch.

Lou
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

I haven't seen anyone mention to you that, during the newest episode of "Naked & Afraid" someone killed a Malaysian blue coral snake, nearly getting killed in the process.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I'm guessing that's a rerun. An episode called, "The Pain Forest" shot in Malaysia. Discovery Channel actually contacted me after seeing my YouTube video, shown below. I sold them the rights to use my footage on the show. All of the intro, as well as a lot of the shots when he finds the snake, are my footage.

I didn't know at the time how badly Discovery Channel needed the footage. They didn't say that someone on the show actually found and killed one. Had I known that, maybe I could have gotten more for my footage. They basically had no shots of the snake before it was killed. So they edited in a lot of my shots. There weren't many blue coral videos on YouTube at the time. There still aren't. Anyways, they sped up some sections, added a hiss, etc. That crossing shot was a little unnerving as I tried to keep the camera still (GoPro on a 2 1/2 ft pole) while the snake passed. What you can't see is where the snake goes. As he passes the camera he turns towards me and passes very close to my feet (in sandals).

Anyways, seeing on TV was really cool for me. It brought me back to the time I found it. It was my first blue coral and a full grown adult at around 5 feet.

Good times!!!!
Lou
Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

very cool! which gopro are you using? I have the Hero 2, and its macro capabilities suck....
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks Kevin. I use a Hero 3 Black. Black being the one with the better lens and higher resolution. I always shoot at 2.7K 30fps. It looks way better than 1080. Even when you take the 2.7 back down to 1080. I find I can shoot about 12 inches away from the lens. Any closer and it's blurry. Also, you can take the 2.7k and crop to 1080, effectively zooming a little. 2.7K is 2704 X 1524 pixels. I didn't do that in this video though. All my newer videos are shot on the GoPro. Definitely not the best camera for herp vids, but I try and make it work. It definitely impressed me this time though!