Question re future Interstate 11

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

blacktara

Question re future Interstate 11

Post by blacktara »

A herper friend of mine texted me today saying they had heard that the future I11 project now involves a route that would convert one of Arizonas most famous herp roads to four lane interstate. Anyone know for certain what the plans are to link I10 to route 60 and if the famous herp road will or will not be involved?
ThamnElegans24

Re: Question re future Interstate 11

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Yes, yes it will. That whole road will be gone.
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

Any idea when this is supposed to happen? I'd like to be able to back on that road one more time for old times sake if nothing else
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

I would like to chime in with a question that I admit probably sounds naïve, but if data has been collected in this location, and IF it has been documented that endangered species (or those of special concern) are present, wouldn't that be a consideration in their development of the area?

My next question, of course, would be to ask if there are any endangered or SC species in the area?
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

MCHerper, there are Gila Monsters and Desert Tortoises in the project area, but it won't make a difference.

Blacktara, I spoke with someone who works in the Right-of-Way department of Arizona DOT today about this. He said that Congress still hasn't approved the funding for the project. He doesn't think it will be done anytime soon. In fact he told me that I will likely be retired before they ever get started. Right now ADOT's primary concern for the next 4 years is the South Mountain Freeway. And then widening the I-10 to 6 lanes all the way between Phoenix and Tucson. It looks like your road should be safe for at least a few years.
chrish

Post by chrish »

It might reduce traffic on some of the other surface roads in the area as well. That can be positive, but it is a pity they have to follow the existing road. In a perfect world (where there have to be freeways, that is), they would just build the new interstate a few miles east/west of the existing road thereby reducing traffic on the existing road even more.
VAS

Post by VAS »

Is there a site too see the proposed I11 overlaid the existing roads?

VAS
simus343

Post by simus343 »

chrish wrote:It might reduce traffic on some of the other surface roads in the area as well. That can be positive, but it is a pity they have to follow the existing road. In a perfect world (where there have to be freeways, that is), they would just build the new interstate a few miles east/west of the existing road thereby reducing traffic on the existing road even more.
You would still get habitat fragmentation and reduction of fauna on the current road by road kills on the new road built through the undeveloped area.

Something for those living in AZ worth bringing up to their governor would be an eco-passage. It would cost a little more to raise the road on-top of mounded dirt though. Tallahassee FL has the Lake Jackson eco-passage to channel wildlife to culverts to allow the animals to cross under the road instead of over it. While it may not be good for the animals for stress or whatever (I've heard various arguments made against it that I just can't comprehend the logic of said arguments), it's better than being pancaked in my opinion.
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

Thanks all for the input and comments
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

chrish wrote:It might reduce traffic on some of the other surface roads in the area as well. That can be positive, but it is a pity they have to follow the existing road. In a perfect world (where there have to be freeways, that is), they would just build the new interstate a few miles east/west of the existing road thereby reducing traffic on the existing road even more.

I'm not sure NEW roads are any better. Our hobby benefits from roads less traveled, in that it makes animals easier to see. Carving up undisturbed habitat for a new road may actually be worse. Many species don't like any roads from the already mentioned fragmentation.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Something for those living in AZ worth bringing up to their governor would be an eco-passage.
AzGFD already has a great working relationship with AzDOT on wildlife crossing issues. AZ is pretty well-known for some very expensive, but very effective deer and elk passage infrastructure recently installed (e.g., http://www.solar-traffic-controls.com/p ... rApr07.pdf). So there's no need to go straight to the governor - "his people" are on it.

What herpers could do, however, is try to ensure AzGFD & AzDOT are looking at wildlife other than (in addition to) huntable ungulates.

There is an annual conference where state, federal, and academic wildlife and transportation folks get together to discuss and present information on diverse wildlife crossing issues (ICOET, e.g. http://www.icoet.net/ICOET_2015/index.asp). Where it is held often influences what is discussed - in New England and also the southeast there is more awareness and effort on non-game, especially small-animal, crossing needs. More, compared to a lot of western states which are far more big-game-centric. Designs, materials, and techniques are all part of the mix. Getting it right is complicated, expensive, and can be difficult (e.g., animals have vastly different behavioral & perceptive constraints on what will serve to get them across a highway - for instance mule deer and elk are VERY different from each other, in terms of what kind - how expensive - of a wildlife underpass they are willing to enter). It's not as simple as "build an eco-passage". Not even close.

FYI, ICOET was held in AZ in 2013. I recommend your chapter enter into a long discussion with AzGFD. Long, as in half - or more - of a decade. Who knows what good might come of it. Herpers could for example help with post-construction effectiveness monitoring, and pre-design justification (inventory & survey work). Also, don't be afraid to invoke lost recreational opportunities as part of mitigation desires, if your favorite cruising road gets "majorly upgraded".

cheers,
Jimi
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

That sucks to hear. More people everyday, I don't suppose these issues will go away anytime soon.