It is currently December 14th, 2017, 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 2:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 2:28 am
Posts: 123
Location: Michigan
Please no exact locations. What are the top 10 Herping locations you have on your bucket list. Lets try to keep it to only 3 or 4 in some other country.

Maybe you have a yearly list in addition to your bucket list. Might be fun to list the species that made you add the location to your bucket list.

VAS

Lets keep it fun.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 3:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 2:28 am
Posts: 123
Location: Michigan
I will get it started.

1. Re visit Snake Road
2. Southern Arizona
3. South Florida
4. Smokey Mountains (Salamanders)
5. Extreme South East California
6. Road cruising Kansas
7. Mexico
8. Costa Rica
9. Australia
10. Africa

I'm sure my list is going to be lame compared to most...lol

VAS


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 12:53 pm 

Joined: March 30th, 2014, 12:16 pm
Posts: 566
Location: Okaloosa ca, Fla.
Not necessarily in this order but here's my top 10.
1) Re-visit ANF during spring time
2) Arizona
3) Georgia
4) Central Florida
5) South Florida
6)Louisiana
7) Re-visit Australia
8) Re-visit Okinawa
9) Tanzania
10) Brazil

I want to revisit over-seas places that I have been instead of visiting new ones, because when I was in those places I was too young/inexperienced to really know how to herp in those places - and so looking back I feel my experience was wasted :|.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 1:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: August 10th, 2010, 10:25 am
Posts: 117
Location: southwest US - NM
Sulawesi
Papua/New Guinea
India
Guyana
Australia
Costa Rica
Tanzania
Louisiana
Big Bend region (revisit)
Southeast US ( SC/GA/ANF ) -revisit



-N-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 2:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 2:28 am
Posts: 123
Location: Michigan
simus343 wrote:
I want to revisit over-seas places that I have been instead of visiting new ones, because when I was in those places I was too young/inexperienced to really know how to herp in those places - and so looking back I feel my experience was wasted :|.


I know what you mean by being to young and inexperienced during childhood trips.

VAS


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 3:02 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Posts: 405
Location: Pasadena, CA or Mission, TX
1. Baja (Bipes, Bogertophis rosaliae, all kinds of cool island endemics, from rattlers to a rare kind of longnose, and the hunt for Isla Catalina's kingsnake)
2. Great Smoky Mountains (salamander capital of the world)
3. Madrean Sky Islands (I want to relive that Huachuca Mountains chapter from Kauffeld's book)
4. Peninsular Malaysia (blue coral snakes, all kinds of awesome agamids, pythons, cobras, and the sense of discovery that I feel whenever I flip through Grismer's two most recent books)
5. Peruvian Amazon (rainbow boas, rhyme-defying coral snakes, and overall a diversity that is beyond the imagination)
6. Madagascar (mantellas, bizarre geckos, strange turtles and tortoises, and incredible levels of endemism)
7. Australian desert (venomous snakes, the lizards that Eric Pianka wrote about, and weather even hotter than what I'm used to)
8. Costa Rica (I want to rediscover Incilius periglenes; it's gonna happen!)
9. Southwestern Mexico (the coolest Phrynosoma, awesome Crotalus, and even cantils and other kinds of pitviper; and given that Phrynosoma and American pitvipers are my favorite herps, I'd be in paradise)
10. India's Western Ghats (to me, this is one of the final explosively diverse, endemic-species-rich, and ultimately under-explored places on Earth, and the herps are just fascinating)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 7:34 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Posts: 3297
Location: San Antonio, TX
Maybe we should define the boundaries of your dream area? It isn't really fair to compare the Snake Road to the whole continent of Australia, is it?

My "regions" I would like to visit (if it was safe) would include:
- New Guinea
- the steppes of Central Asia (Kazahkstan, Turkmenistan, etc - big area, I know)
- Southwestern Australia
- north Central Australia (drive/herp from Alice Springs to Darwin)
- Colombia
- somewhere in the Sahel of Africa
- tropical West Central Africa somewhere (Cameroon, Congo?)
- Iran
- the eastern Amazon somewhere (Brazil - I know....big area again)
- the Guyanan shield somewhere (Suriname?)

Of course, I'll herp anywhere I can, but those are some places that would be fun.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 12:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 1st, 2014, 7:11 pm
Posts: 83
Madagascar
New Guinea
Guyana
Brazil (atlantic forrest/pantanal)
Colombia (choco)
Mexico
AZ
Uganda
myanmar
India


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 5:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: May 5th, 2011, 2:15 pm
Posts: 335
Location: The beautiful Texas Hill Country
In no particular order... I'll try and keep this outside the US.

Baja California Sur (Bipes, enyo, cape gophers, rosy boas)
Anywhere in the Sierra Madre Occidental (Heloderma, boas, montane crotes - especially green klaubs!)
Japan (giant salamanders, habu, and the food!)
Komodo (couldn't leave this one out!)
New Zealand (tuataras, nautilinus, not to mention the birds and entertaining my love of Tolkien)
Thailand (retics, kings, and corals)
Western/Central Australia (kimberlys, perenties, frilleds, black-heads, knobtails)
New Guinea (crocs, green tree pythons)
Costa Rica (I say this over the rest of the neotropics for the chance to see Pelamis)
Madagascar (duh)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 7:22 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 29th, 2014, 10:10 am
Posts: 167
Location: Ukiah, CA
1. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (Sam Jocinto Mt. - Idyllwild)
2. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (common)
3. Northern Mojave Rattlesnake
4. Tiger Rattlesnake
5. Arizona Black Rattlesnake
6. Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
7. Sidewinder Rattlesnake (any sidewinder)
8. Black-Tailed Rattlesnake
9. Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
10. Timber Rattlesnake


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Posts: 405
Location: Pasadena, CA or Mission, TX
John Delgado wrote:
1. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (Sam Jocinto Mt. - Idyllwild)
2. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (common)
3. Northern Mojave Rattlesnake
4. Tiger Rattlesnake
5. Arizona Black Rattlesnake
6. Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
7. Sidewinder Rattlesnake (any sidewinder)
8. Black-Tailed Rattlesnake
9. Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
10. Timber Rattlesnake


With the exception of the WDB, those are all on my list of "yet to see in this lifetime" snakes as well, but the point of this post was to put places, not species.

-Gene


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 11:52 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 29th, 2014, 10:10 am
Posts: 167
Location: Ukiah, CA
The Real Snake Man wrote:
John Delgado wrote:
1. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (Sam Jocinto Mt. - Idyllwild)
2. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (common)
3. Northern Mojave Rattlesnake
4. Tiger Rattlesnake
5. Arizona Black Rattlesnake
6. Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
7. Sidewinder Rattlesnake (any sidewinder)
8. Black-Tailed Rattlesnake
9. Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
10. Timber Rattlesnake


With the exception of the WDB, those are all on my list of "yet to see in this lifetime" snakes as well, but the point of this post was to put places, not species.

-Gene


Hmmm ... ya, I see that now. Okay ... I'll go ANYWHERE they ^^^ are ... all 10 locations...!!! :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 5:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:19 pm
Posts: 477
In the United States-

10. Flint Hills - KS
9. Red Hills - AL (A particular salamander)
8. Appalachicola National Forest - FL (The diversity)
7. Lower Peninsula - MI
6. Hyde County - NC (Red things)
5. Chihuahuan Desert - TX and NM
4. Ouachita Mountains - OK and AR
3. North Georgia Mountains / Piedmont - GA
2. Great Smokies - NC and TN
1. Madrean Sky Islands - AZ and NM

Outside the United States-

10. Socotra - Yemen (The most Alien Place on Earth, with some cool Blindsnakes, Racers and Geckoes)
9. Grande Terre and Loyalty Islands - New Caledonia (Land of Giant Geckoes, Sea Kraits and where they shot parts of Walking With Dinosaurs)
8. Fraser's Hill - Malaysia (Asthenodipsas, Coral Snakes, Frogs, Amphiesma, the whole package)
7. Dinaric Alps and Pindos Mountains - Slovenia, Montenegro, Greece (Vipera berus, Proteus, beautiful lakes and great land)
6. Udzungwa Mountains - Tanzania (Some incredible snakes there like Adenorhinos barbouri)
5. Ashmore and Hiberia Reefs / The Kimberly - Australia (Sea Snakes and Lizards. Also Pythons)
4. Owen Stanley Range - Papua New Guinea (Possibly one of the most under appreciated places for herp diversity, tons and tons of new amphibians described there)
3. Sierra de los Cuchumatanes and Sierra Madre de Chiapas - Guatemala and Mexico (A goldmine of cool vipers, salamanders and lizards. Where Bolitoglossa jacksoni was found, amongst other curious creatures)
2. The Choco and Magdalena Drainage - Colombia (Insane diversity of Frogs, including Atelopus. And several species of Atractus, my favorite genera of snake)
1. The Tepuis of the Guiana Shield (in particular Cerra de la Neblina, Mount Roraima and Auyan Tepui) - Brazil, Guyana and Venezuela (Perhaps of the last true "lost worlds")

Honorable Mentions - Pontic Mountains (Turkey), Cordillera Central (Dominican Republic), Sierra Madre de Occidental (Mexico), Ankarana (Madagascar), Cardamom Mountains (Cambodia), Assam (India), Serra do Mar (Brazil), Western Ghats (India), Albertine Rift Valley (Democratic Republic of Congo), Mount Kinabalu (Sabah)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 8:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: March 31st, 2013, 4:40 am
Posts: 136
Location: Pune(India)
For this monsoon season here is my list of snakes to find:
1: painted keelback (Xenochrophis cerasogaster)
2: rainbow water snake (Enhydris enhydris)
3: Lesser black Krait (Bungarus lividus)
4: Green cat snake (Boiga cyanea)
5: Monocled Cobra (Naja kaouthia)(from south west bengal - these are known to spit venom)
6: Hump nosed pit viper (Hypnale hypnale)
7: Greater Black krait ( Bungarus niger)
8: Calamaria Reed Snake ( Liopeltis calamaria)
9: Castoe's Coral snake (Calliophis castoe)
10: Striped Coral snake (Calliophis melanurus)

Also if anyone is planning to herp in Northern Western ghats, PM me I will be there herping almost throughout the monsoons. Except for 2 trips to East India(West Bengal and Manipur(along Burma border)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 8:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Posts: 3297
Location: San Antonio, TX
John Delgado wrote:
1. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (Sam Jocinto Mt. - Idyllwild)
2. Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (common)
3. Northern Mojave Rattlesnake
4. Tiger Rattlesnake
5. Arizona Black Rattlesnake
6. Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
7. Sidewinder Rattlesnake (any sidewinder)
8. Black-Tailed Rattlesnake
9. Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
10. Timber Rattlesnake


Bucket list? You could knock out this list in three short trips and be done by June! Are you not well?

And it was locations, to be fair to the OP.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 9:08 am 
User avatar

Joined: March 31st, 2013, 4:40 am
Posts: 136
Location: Pune(India)
The Real Snake Man wrote:
1. Baja (Bipes, Bogertophis rosaliae, all kinds of cool island endemics, from rattlers to a rare kind of longnose, and the hunt for Isla Catalina's kingsnake)
2. Great Smoky Mountains (salamander capital of the world)
3. Madrean Sky Islands (I want to relive that Chiricahua Mountains chapter from Kauffeld's book)
4. Peninsular Malaysia (blue coral snakes, all kinds of awesome agamids, pythons, cobras, and the sense of discovery that I feel whenever I flip through Grismer's two most recent books)
5. Peruvian Amazon (rainbow boas, rhyme-defying coral snakes, and overall a diversity that is beyond the imagination)
6. Madagascar (mantellas, bizarre geckos, strange turtles and tortoises, and incredible levels of endemism)
7. Australian desert (venomous snakes, the lizards that Eric Pianka wrote about, and weather even hotter than what I'm used to)
8. Costa Rica (I want to rediscover Incilius periglenes; it's gonna happen!)
9. Southwestern Mexico (the coolest Phrynosoma, awesome Crotalus, and even cantils and other kinds of pitviper; and given that Phrynosoma and American pitvipers are my favorite herps, I'd be in paradise)
10. India's Western Ghats (to me, this is one of the final explosively diverse, endemic-species-rich, and ultimately under-explored places on Earth, and the herps are just fascinating)

Western ghats are explosively diverse(I know of spots where you can find 10-15 species of frogs in single hour and in a short trip 3 days you can cover 50-60 species of herps) but they are not under-explored. in last 10 years they are being almost continuously surveyed. The result of this has been discovery of 60-70 new species of herps in last few years. Just in last 15 days 1 new lizard(Cnemaspis) and 1 caecilian have been described. There few new species of snakes waiting to be described soon, few dozen species of lizards, frogs and caecilians from western ghats. Work on all these should be done in next few years.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 9:50 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 11th, 2010, 10:19 am
Posts: 358
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
VAS wrote:
9. Australia
10. Africa


That's a third of the world covered, then.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 10:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Posts: 3297
Location: San Antonio, TX
Martti Niskanen wrote:
VAS wrote:
9. Australia
10. Africa


That's a third of the world covered, then.


You're right. Those people are on to something! Why limit myself?
My new top 10 places to herp list is:

1 - North America
2 - South America
3 - Africa
4 -Australasia
5 - Asia
6 - Europe
7 - Antarctica since Penguins are reptiles
8 - all the islands in the Indian Ocean
9 - all the islands in the Pacific Ocean
10 - all the islands in the Atlantic Ocean

Or I could go old school and choose
1. Gondwanaland
2. Laurasia


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 12:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Posts: 405
Location: Pasadena, CA or Mission, TX
Chaitanya wrote:
Western ghats are explosively diverse(I know of spots where you can find 10-15 species of frogs in single hour and in a short trip 3 days you can cover 50-60 species of herps) but they are not under-explored. in last 10 years they are being almost continuously surveyed. The result of this has been discovery of 60-70 new species of herps in last few years. Just in last 15 days 1 new lizard(Cnemaspis) and 1 caecilian have been described. There few new species of snakes waiting to be described soon, few dozen species of lizards, frogs and caecilians from western ghats. Work on all these should be done in next few years.


What I meant in saying that they were under-explored is that there is still a lot of discovery going on. I know that most of it is either done or being done, but after explosive discovery there is still usually some significant (although slower) discovery waiting to happen, and then a lot of field studies to really get the natural history down. And compared to somewhere like the US, that's what I'd call "under-explored". I do get your point, though, and I envy your opportunities.

-Gene


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 6:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 31st, 2013, 4:40 am
Posts: 136
Location: Pune(India)
The Real Snake Man wrote:
Chaitanya wrote:
Western ghats are explosively diverse(I know of spots where you can find 10-15 species of frogs in single hour and in a short trip 3 days you can cover 50-60 species of herps) but they are not under-explored. in last 10 years they are being almost continuously surveyed. The result of this has been discovery of 60-70 new species of herps in last few years. Just in last 15 days 1 new lizard(Cnemaspis) and 1 caecilian have been described. There few new species of snakes waiting to be described soon, few dozen species of lizards, frogs and caecilians from western ghats. Work on all these should be done in next few years.


What I meant in saying that they were under-explored is that there is still a lot of discovery going on. I know that most of it is either done or being done, but after explosive discovery there is still usually some significant (although slower) discovery waiting to happen, and then a lot of field studies to really get the natural history down. And compared to somewhere like the US, that's what I'd call "under-explored". I do get your point, though, and I envy your opportunities.

-Gene

Compared to US, yes western ghats are under explored but compared to Western Ghats Eastern ghats are even less explored. In Eastern ghats there are is a serious threat to biodiversity from commercial mining. There are far fewer surveys done in that region and has similar bio diversity as the western ghats. I am attaching a url to one of the surveys done in South Orissa(Eastern ghats) (there are some mistakes in scientific names of herps). When I was talking with some of the people who have been working in Eastern ghats they told me there is are lot of amphibians and reptiles waiting to be discovered in that region.

Link to survey of South Orissa


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 8:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Posts: 405
Location: Pasadena, CA or Mission, TX
I wasn't aware of that, but I remain unswayed about how awesome it is until I hear that the Eastern Ghats also have Nasikabatrachus! ;)

-Gene


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 9:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 31st, 2013, 4:40 am
Posts: 136
Location: Pune(India)
The Real Snake Man wrote:
I wasn't aware of that, but I remain unswayed about how awesome it is until I hear that the Eastern Ghats also have Nasikabatrachus! ;)

-Gene

I know some spots in Kerala where you can find Nasikabatrachus, but you will have to time the trip during onset of monsoons. They are on the ground only for 3-4 weeks of year and after that they vanish for rest of year. I want to visit Eastern ghats for 2 Species of Snake(Coluber bholanathi and Lycodon jara) , 2 Species of Lizards(Geckoella jeyporensis, Eublepharis hardwickii) and 1 Tarantula(P. metallica). There have been some interesting discoveries from Eastern ghats this year: an isolated population of Chrysopelea tapabronica was found. I live near Western ghats and every other weekend I am out trekking/herping there. For me Eastern Ghats are a mystery, both in terms of terrain and biodiversity.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 9:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 2:28 am
Posts: 123
Location: Michigan
intermedius wrote:
7. Lower Peninsula - MI


you need to send me a pm. If my area is in your top 10 im doing something wrong.

VAS


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 19th, 2015, 1:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:19 am
Posts: 1981
Location: Redding, CA
Don't have 10 but...

Yellowstone during the right season to possibly find reproducing spadefoot toads
Klamath area of Southern Oregon to photograph the T. elegans intergrades
Creek in Shasta County too specific to mention to photograph Tailed Frogs
Fisheating Creek in Glades County, Florida - I think most here know what I would hope to find.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 20th, 2015, 8:13 am 
User avatar

Joined: January 18th, 2015, 3:04 pm
Posts: 94
1. Northern California(salamanders)
2. Apalachicola NF(snakes, salamanders and turtles)
3. Everglades NP(snakes)
4. Ouachita range(salamanders and turtles)
5. Some place for Wood and/or Blanding's turtles like the Great Lakes(turtles duh)
6. Alpine meadows of West Virginia(snakes and salamanders)
7. Southeastern Texas(snakes, Lizards and toads)
8. Madagascar(lizards and snakes)
9. Australia(lizards and snakes)
10. Coasta Rica(frogs, snakes and salamanders)

I only put my out of country ones last because I am poor :( . Also there are many others like Southern Utah and the Sierra Navada range.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 20th, 2015, 2:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2012, 6:00 pm
Posts: 2281
Location: Gainesville, FL
Quote:
Fisheating Creek in Glades County, Florida - I think most here know what I would hope to find.


I've never been, but based on everything I've read, and from the people I've spoken with who have been, you aren't going to find what you're looking for. I'd change it the Lake Wales ridge of Florida not far away. Lots of neat stuff you can actually find.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 20th, 2015, 2:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 16th, 2011, 11:28 am
Posts: 547
Location: New Jersey
captainjack0000 wrote:
Quote:
Fisheating Creek in Glades County, Florida - I think most here know what I would hope to find.


I've never been, but based on everything I've read, and from the people I've spoken with who have been, you aren't going to find what you're looking for. I'd change it the Lake Wales ridge of Florida not far away. Lots of neat stuff you can actually find.


What are you guys talking about?


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 20th, 2015, 4:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2012, 6:00 pm
Posts: 2281
Location: Gainesville, FL
We're not supposed to give away locales, but in this case I don't think it will matter. Heck, I hope somebody goes down and finds one.

Farancia erytrogramma seminola


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 2:25 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:19 am
Posts: 1981
Location: Redding, CA
captainjack0000 wrote:
Quote:
Fisheating Creek in Glades County, Florida - I think most here know what I would hope to find.


I've never been, but based on everything I've read, and from the people I've spoken with who have been, you aren't going to find what you're looking for. I'd change it the Lake Wales ridge of Florida not far away. Lots of neat stuff you can actually find.


There have been a few sightings that appear they may be reliable.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 2:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 5:39 pm
Posts: 250
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
chrish wrote:
Martti Niskanen wrote:
VAS wrote:
9. Australia
10. Africa


That's a third of the world covered, then.


You're right. Those people are on to something! Why limit myself?
My new top 10 places to herp list is:

1 - North America
2 - South America
3 - Africa
4 -Australasia
5 - Asia
6 - Europe
7 - Antarctica since Penguins are reptiles
8 - all the islands in the Indian Ocean
9 - all the islands in the Pacific Ocean
10 - all the islands in the Atlantic Ocean

Or I could go old school and choose
1. Gondwanaland
2. Laurasia


1. Earth
2. Why not check everywhere else? We've sent herps to space haven't we?


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 2:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:19 am
Posts: 1981
Location: Redding, CA
With regard to the Rainbow Snake -

Creek near here in Redding, I documented Rana boylii. Several specimens, adult and very young. I notified the BLM because it was on BLM land.

The BLM biologist responded that twice they had surveyed that creek and only found Pseudacris.

However, the parts of the creek where found the Rana boylii were not easily accessible, I had done some serious bushwacking through Manzanita to get to those parts. The easily accessible parts, I never found them - possibly because of ATV's that drive right through the creek.

California Legless Lizard, the one I found (and only one I found), the specific locality allegedly had been known to have them in the 70s but two surveys since then came up empty.

In both those cases, what I was looking for was not searched for as much as South Florida Rainbow Snake - but just because something hasn't been found by those looking for it does not mean it isn't still there. Sometimes it takes a lucky amateur to find them.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: .
PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 2:48 pm 

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:02 am
Posts: 510
Location: Southern Cal.
.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 2:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:19 am
Posts: 1981
Location: Redding, CA
craigb wrote:
Well.... lets go from non specific to extremely specific. Number one on my bucket list is to find and photograph a Lampropeltis alterna in New Mexico. There has been one, and only one found to my knowledge (I could be wrong). I spent a few days in the neighborhood and would like to spend a lot more time there.


Yes - where there is one, it could represent a population or a released pet or an individual that dispersed a very long distance.

Finding others and proving a population is usually the only way to know for sure.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: .
PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 5:36 pm 

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:02 am
Posts: 510
Location: Southern Cal.
.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 7:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2012, 6:00 pm
Posts: 2281
Location: Gainesville, FL
Quote:
just because something hasn't been found by those looking for it does not mean it isn't still there.


I don't disagree. But only a few verified specimens have been collected, a long time ago. Maybe somebody will turn one up, but humans have more or less wrecked the water flow in and around S. Florida, and I'd put my money on them not being there. If they are there, they're doing a great job of keeping out of sight.

I don't really have a bucket list. I just like seeing what I like seeing. I'd love to find a Florida Pine someday, but there isn't a location really - just somewhere in the state will do.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 1:16 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 4:26 am
Posts: 3420
Location: Illinois
10. Peru
9. Western Ghats
8. Cameroon Highlands in Malaysia
7. Northern Mexico
6. Guyana
5. Borneo
4. Northern Australia
3. Kansas, Flint Hills (over and over and over again)
2. Thailand, anywhere in Thailand
1. Iowa, just ask Don Becker about all the Brown and Garter snakes.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: January 7th, 2016, 9:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 10th, 2010, 6:56 pm
Posts: 2840
Location: Wittmann,AZ
1. Costa Rica
2. Belize
3. Morocco/ South Africa/ Namibia
4. Israel (Negev)
5. Florida
6. Peru /Galapagos / Amazon
7. India
8. Snake Road
9. Timber rattler dens
10. Manitoba (?) Garter Snake place


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: January 8th, 2016, 11:29 am 
User avatar

Joined: July 15th, 2012, 10:07 pm
Posts: 108
Location: So Cal
1. Sumatra
2. Palau Papua, West Papua
3. South Eastern Africa
4. Western Ghats, India
5. Mindanao, Phillipines
6. Ecuador
7. Borneo
8. Madagascar
9. DRC
10. Bangladesh


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: January 8th, 2016, 11:30 am 
User avatar

Joined: July 15th, 2012, 10:07 pm
Posts: 108
Location: So Cal
justinm wrote:
10. Peru
9. Western Ghats
8. Cameroon Highlands in Malaysia
7. Northern Mexico
6. Guyana
5. Borneo
4. Northern Australia
3. Kansas, Flint Hills (over and over and over again)
2. Thailand, anywhere in Thailand
1. Iowa, just ask Don Becker about all the Brown and Garter snakes.


That's a good list.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 4:23 pm 

Joined: April 9th, 2017, 6:56 am
Posts: 2
intermedius wrote:
Cordillera Central (Dominican Republic)

what can be found there?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 8:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:19 pm
Posts: 477
Hispaniola (Haiti and the Dominican Republic) contains a lot of unique habitats. Some areas are pretty arid and reminiscent of deserts. In other areas, where there are mountains, there are vast cloud forests. You get a nice combination of endemic reptile and amphibian species that are unique to the island archipelago. Plenty of Eleutherodactylus frog species, toads, etc. A truckload of Anolis lizards too. There are also several species of Boas, some dwarf species that devour lizards and are slightly arboreal, and of course the dwarf "Tropes". Several species of Racers, which are actually more closely related to the Snail-eating Snakes of South America than the ones in the US, also inhabit the island. Some even fulfill the niche similar to that of a Vine Snake. There are also plenty of Blind Snakes.

http://www.caribherp.org/index.php?il=H ... dd=n&mob=y

The link above provides a checklist of all species known from Hispaniola.

– Justin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 10:34 am 

Joined: April 9th, 2017, 6:56 am
Posts: 2
intermedius wrote:
Hispaniola (Haiti and the Dominican Republic) contains a lot of unique habitats. Some areas are pretty arid and reminiscent of deserts. In other areas, where there are mountains, there are vast cloud forests. You get a nice combination of endemic reptile and amphibian species that are unique to the island archipelago. Plenty of Eleutherodactylus frog species, toads, etc. A truckload of Anolis lizards too. There are also several species of Boas, some dwarf species that devour lizards and are slightly arboreal, and of course the dwarf "Tropes". Several species of Racers, which are actually more closely related to the Snail-eating Snakes of South America than the ones in the US, also inhabit the island. Some even fulfill the niche similar to that of a Vine Snake. There are also plenty of Blind Snakes.

http://www.caribherp.org/index.php?il=H ... dd=n&mob=y

The link above provides a checklist of all species known from Hispaniola.

– Justin

thanks but i asked what makes Cordillera Central special when it comes to herping. i asked that because im looking for herping places because im going to the Dominican Republic next year. im especially interested in ampibians, lizards, turtles and crocs


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: May 12th, 2017, 6:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:19 pm
Posts: 477
I don't have any experience with the island, and certainly do not know any exact locations. I assume the usual herping tactics (flipping, road cruising, hiking at night) in suitable habitats will produce for you.

This book may help as well:

Schwartz, A., & Henderson, R. W. (1991). Amphibians and reptiles of the West Indies: descriptions, distributions, and natural history. University Press of Florida.

– Justin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: May 12th, 2017, 6:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:19 pm
Posts: 477
In retrospect,

Well, I knocked off one of the bucket list places last year (Southeast AZ, and New Mexico). I suppose my priorities have changed a little bit since the last time I posted. It's been a banner year for taxonomic revisions here in the United States with the publications of new salamander species, the Southeast US representing most of the diversity. I would love to get the opportunity to herp down there and see some of that.

Also, Myanmar has moved up on the worldwide herping destination list. So much potential for new things there.

– Justin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Your TOP 10 Herping Trip Bucket List
PostPosted: May 26th, 2017, 5:57 am 
User avatar

Joined: February 18th, 2015, 11:11 am
Posts: 122
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida
The Real Snake Man wrote:
rhyme-defying coral snakes


Can we make that an actual common name? :D

Here's my top ten, in no particular order:

1. AZ (banded rocks, ridgenose, arizona blacks, etc.)
2. SoCal (ruber, boas, etc.)
3. Australia (death adders, pythons, king browns)
4. Uganda (gaboons, rhino vipers, bush vipers, forest cobras)
5. Masai Mara (crocs feeding during the great migration......plus all the large mammals)
6. Costa Rica (any and all pitvipers, frogs)
7. Peru (BUSHMASTER, frogs)
8. Borneo/Malaysia (retics, cobras, arboreal vipers, frogs)
9. Madagascar (uroplatus, chameleons, boas, frogs)
10. India (king cobras, russell's viper, TIGERS)


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: