Michigan Record Gaps (Again)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jefferson

Michigan Record Gaps (Again)

Post by Jefferson »

Last year, I made a post regarding the five counties left in Michigan that do not have county records (Roscommon, Mississaukee, Bay, Arenac, and Ionia). Some of you might already know that my time as a member of the Midwest Chapter is running short, as I'm headed for Virginia when I graduate. Before I go, I'd like to see a filled in Michigan, and I can take care of at least three of our five missing counties. I plan to take a weekend up north with just my brother before I leave, and that route will just happen to cut through Bay, Arenac, Roscommon, and possibly Mississaukee counties. I cannot, however, voucher Ionia County. I am currently in correspondence with a member of the Michigan Herp Atlas who does not participate in the national database, and may be able to fill the gap that way, but if that falls through, is there anyone in the Grand Rapids area who could just see a Bullfrog in Ionia County or something?
VAS

Re: Michigan Record Gaps (Again)

Post by VAS »

I need to look through my cards. I might have Bay County already.

VAS
VAS

Post by VAS »

Was just passing through Bay County last night and convinced the better half to pull over at a county park so i could grab a pic of a frog or two to knock this out.

Quickly found a couple Leopard frogs 1 green phase and one Brown phase. Once I down load them from my camera ill post them on H.E.R.P.

Vas :beer:
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Great stuff, VAS! Do you think that you'll be able to put in the records by the end of this week? I'm actually planning a trip the weekend after this one up north to knock out all of Michigan's remaining record gaps, and it would be really helpful if I only had to hit three counties rather than four!
I'm hoping we can beat Kansas, Nebraska, and Wisconsin to being the first to be fully vouchered in the Midwest forum.
Jefferson
VAS

Post by VAS »

This afternoon i think.
VAS

Post by VAS »

Done and Done
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

As I write this, I am listening to the soundtrack of the movie "Gettysburg," for Michigan has just "held the flank" much like our 16th regiment did 152 years ago at Little Round Top along with the 20th Maine and 83rd Pennsylvania! We have become the first state in the Midwestern forum with no record gaps on the national herp atlas. I personally hit Roscommon, Missaukee, and Arenac counties in the last 36 hours to finish it off and have gotten about five other unrecorded counties over the last year and a half, and would like to thank all those who pitched in records in Antrim, Ionia, Charlevoix, Marquette, Newaygo, Wexford, Alcona, and all the other counties over that period of time to make this possible.

At midnight tonight, Michigan's last record gaps will disappear and the race for second place in the chapter will begin with Kansas in the lead but Wisconsin and Nebraska closing in.

Happy Herping,
Jefferson
VAS

Post by VAS »

Sweet. Job well done.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Nice job closing out Michigan...NE should be easy now that only one county is left, but the KS co. remaining is a bee-ahtch...