Illinois-guy visiting

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Philrezin1

Illinois-guy visiting

Post by Philrezin1 »

Hello everyone!

My name is Phil Rezin and I am a field herper from Illinois and I will be visiting Los Gatos April 14-20th with my wife and two daughters. We are staying at her aunts and I plan on having a decent amount of free time for once. I herp everywhere I go, always have. I have a degree from the University of ILL in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences and worked as a field ecologist for a few years before buying a Wild Birds Unlimited store in my hometown of Rockford. I also manage a few private residences who are trying to restore their land to native tallgrass prairie and oak woodland/savannah.

Anyways, I know specific locations won't be given out, but I was hoping you guys could point me to some of the best general places to hike and herp. The Florida chapter pointed me to a place where I found my first pygmy rattler and some Arkansas people helped us out with sallies in March and Whitaker's Point. In Cali I'm planning on going to Yosemite and checking the redwood/sequoia forests somewhere as well, and likely poking around Los Gatos' hills to the south. If any of you California people will be hiking or herping any of the days I'm there, and would like to show a Cali-Noob around let me know! Otherwise let me know if any of you will be making your way to Illinois, perhaps for the fabled "snake road". I make that 6-7 hour drive twice a year including this April 24-26 and can show you the ropes!

Phil Rezin
Philrezin1

Re: Illinois-guy visiting

Post by Philrezin1 »

Day one down... Got to hike about an hour and poke around my wife's aunt's house. Lots of fence lizards although I wasn't able to grab any of them, my first alligator lizard and California newt were lifers though! The lizard was wild looking to be sure! Hopefully will come across a couple snakes soon.
Helleri

Post by Helleri »

Well one place I have been wanting to check out for a while (pretty busy these days and not a lot of time for helping) is Henry cowell park. It's. This huge chunk of public recreational access land bordered by Hwy 9. And Graham Hill rd. It's. Not that green grass and playgrounds kind of park. It's mostly wild from what I have seen with hiking trails blazed through it. Just diving by it on graham hill rd. One can see so many biomes packed into there that it's ridiculous. Looks like it could be a great general area to have a look around. Santa Cruz county in general isn't. Hard to find good spots in. Especially in the Santa Cruz mountains. That's. Just one place that I have been meaning to check out.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

That place is one I've been thinking about... If you'd like to try if out one day let me know! Today I got away for a few hours and found a ringneck and a rattler! Feeling pretty good about that considering I'm so new to the area that everything seems so foreign!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

That would probably have been better pm'd Helleri.. whether you know it or not... right up the street from where you're staying is some of the best herping in the Santa Cruz mts... pretty renowed Z spot actually. :shock: Notice how I didn't mention any actual places??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I might also suggest the very local dysjunct pop of red belly newts... pm me if you want directions... :D
Helleri

Post by Helleri »

I'm back in BC now actually. And, it ain't even ok to talk about huge, well known, public access place that I have never even herped, outside of pm's? That seems a overly cautious to me. Especially since it is a nice looking area to take a family for a picnic as a side objective.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Helleri wrote:I'm back in BC now actually. And, it ain't even ok to talk about huge, well known, public access place that I have never even herped, outside of pm's? That seems a overly cautious to me. Especially since it is a nice looking area to take a family for a picnic as a side objective.
You have to understand that forums like these have plenty of unsavory lurkers (poachers), just waiting to hear of even possible good spots to try. Also... nearly any place you name will be someone's go-to, or secret spot, which typically upsets them to no end.

Which is why, we as a group, try to keep actual named destinations off the world-wide web. this ain't no Facebook... this ain't no Reddit... this ain't no messing around... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

I had a great day today. I'll say I've stayed local the whole time and everyday has been good! I hiked about 9+ miles of rugged terrain today, found 3 North Pacific rattlers, a cal king, another ringneck, some sort of garter, and all kinds of salamanders and newts. I'll have to make a photobucket so you guys can help id! I think I found a pacific giant, not sure how cool that is but I was stoked! Got pics of most, phone died and I had to hitchhike home. No joke. Was worth it though!!! Phil
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

glad to hear it...the good day, not having to hitchhike home... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

So, I had so much fun two years ago that when my wife asked if I wanted to tag along on a work trip in a couple days I jumped at the opportunity.

I will be in San Fran (with hopes to head north to the mendocino area one of the days) Thursday and Friday, March 16th and 17th. Then March 18-21 (leaving Tuesday morning to go home) I'll be in the Los Gatos area.

Two years ago I came in April but didn't get out as much as I'd like due to my kids being with me. This year I should be more flexible and with less responsibilities (read no kids LOL)! In my opinion I had a great trip in 2015 finding: 4 Northern Pacific rattlers, a California kingsnake, a couple pacific ringnecks, a California slender salamander, a California giant salamander, lots of California newts, a California alligator lizard, and a couple others! This year my targets are yellow-eyed ensatina, arboreal salamander, and of course the California mountain kingsnake! Although anything that I didn't find in 2015 would be a lifer and a real thrill!

If anyone is bored and wants to tag along shoot me a P.M. If you shoot me a friend request on Facebook (Phil Rezin Rockford IL) I'll accept and you can see some of my finds from Illinois and Wisconsin, or check me out on herpmapper! Thanks for reading and happy herping all!
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

Here's some pics that I promised from 2015. I read the pet peeves page while researching the forum and didn't want to fall into that category! I've never posted pics before and my pics were taken in the glaring sun on an iphone/are terrible, but here goes nothing!

My first find was a california alligator lizard!
As I hiked multiple people assured me I was too early for Crotalus oreganus, which was a main target, so when I saw a stout snake two thirds across the path ahead of me, on my way back from my first solo hike, I rushed up to it hoping to ID it before it fled. Well it was a rattler and it wasn't super happy I ran up to him. I've observed timbers in Wi and Illinois, eastern massasaugas, and pygmys, but never have I had one stand up like this one did. Truly regal and majestic. I was more than impressed and totally in awe.
I started the next morning's hike with my wife, daughter, second cousin, and sister-in-law. They all left after about a mile in, but before they did I manage to flip what I would call an iconic california snake, a cal king! This is my older daughter Addison, who is just turned 4 at the time, taking one of her first hikes!
The most common herp I found was the california newt. They were present in my aunts pond and I flipped 7 or 8 under a single limb near a spring/seep. Here's a terrible picture of two!
The most common snake I found was the pacific ringneck. Here's an embarrassing photo but it does vouch for them! This one seemed huge!
I followed the seep/spring that had 7-8 california newts back to it's origins and found a real prize, at least in my eyes. A monster of a California giant salamander!
A California slender salamander was found under the bark of a nearby saturated, downed log. The log was literally disintegrating, and it probably had another couple species in it but I don't like to get too invasive.

I do get around quite a bit in Illinois and Wisconsin. I won't go too crazy, but I want you guys to know that I put in work where I'm from!
Here's what I would call an eclectic assemblage of midwestern herps! Enjoy! The first thing you should know is that Wisconsin has the best looking timber rattlers, no contest. Shout out to Ben Scott for helping me see my first ones ever!
Here's a picture of an extremely rare, well-fed, State Endangered and Federally threatened eastern massasauga. The highlight of my 2016.
Illinois other two venomous snakes are the northern copperhead and eastern cottonmouths. Both are fairly common in ideal habitat. Here are two cottonmouths in some duckweed!
I go down to southern Illinois twice a year for the general biodiversity of animals and herps in specific. Last spring's highlights were a half dozen copperheads, here's a few of my faves!
Our salamanders can be tricky as far as phenology goes, but if you know were to look you can find magic! Here's two spotted salamanders and a blue-spotted!
Here's a long-tailed and a cave!
I hope you guys enjoyed the pics! Let me know if you end up out my way sometime! Phil
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

I drove about 3 hours north today from SF and had a pretty good day. I will update with pics when I get home sometime early next week. I found about a dozen Ensatina (intergrade area), a few shasta alligator lizards, and at least two coastal gartersnakes, which were all lifers! I also found about a dozen california slender salamanders, which I had found once on my previous trip in 2015. Oh and I found a few larval salamanders, one in particular I spent a while trying to photograph. I was pretty sure it was a coastal giant and Zach confirmed it for me! Zach has helped ID a few species in my two trips, so Thanks Zach Lim, I really do appreciate your hospitality! That's a lifer also and goes nicely with the california giant adult I found in 2015!

A few notes: First, Jesus Christ your stinging nettle is nothing like our species in Illinois. I am still feeling it/numb ~4 hours later!
Also, your slugs are no joke. A couple times I was sure that slimy thing was a salamander only to be let down.
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Stinging nettle is fun isn't it :lol: Some people make a horrible tasting tea out of it. All herps hide in the nettle, but the only way to find them is to sneak up on them naked....trust me :D

That timber is AWSOME!! Having herped almost none in their habitat, Copperhead is probably my most wanted herp to find.

Did you see the big yellow banana slugs? If you see one with brown spots....it's a ripe banana slug :roll:

-nightdriver
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

Thanks, I really should've learned to post pictures earlier. I live too far north in Illinois for copperheads, but I make a trip south twice a year and find them regularly (5-6 last May). They are definitely one of my absolute favorites! If you are ever going to plan a trip east to see them let me know ahead of time and I can try to help you out!
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

Well I had another great time in California, even though it was cut short by rain and I again had other obligations. Next time we go we are staying for a week instead of this 3-4 day shit! Let me know if I mess up any identifications! Big thanks to Zach Lim, he got me a couple lifers (think I had like 7-8 this trip), was just a wealth of knowledge, was a really cool guy, and went above and beyond a couple times (lets just say I'm not the best with directions). Also I'm big into restoration, ecology, and other classes of biology, so learning about California from him was really interesting.

Anyways I started the trip in San Francisco where my wife was attending an ACA conference. Really the only time I got to pick WHERE i played the whole trip was when she was at her conference. I started by driving north roughly 3 hours one-way on Thursday into Mendocino county, the road was amazing in both beauty and peril. The goal was to get into range of a few salamanders that weren't endemic to where I had herped on my previous stay in Cali, essentially to put a few other lifers in play.
I found a few california slenders that I didn't photo, and had a lizard that I assumed was a western fence shoot off into the brush. My first real find was when I walked up to a huge banana slug that had me excited and quickly let down. I am superstitious though with my herping and decided to further investigate the place. I had carefully looked under 10-12 logs already with minimal success and the face that the slug was on was noticeably wetter so I decided to try something different, I grabbed a clump of grass intertwined with a fern and looked at the base and sure enough out fell my first ensatina. This was a realistic target and I ended up finding 12-15.
I made my way to a creek where I found some larval salamanders. I snapped a quick picture, thinking maybe someone will tell me it's new, but as I hiked I thought more and more about the possibilities. I was hoping it was a coastal giant's larva to go with my adult california giant from 2015. It's not a great picture, as they all were taking with my busted iphone.
I found a roughly 25 ft diameter opening along the creek and thought to myself, this is the most sun that I've seen hit the forest floor since I started my hike, I better look around. Literally 4 ft. from where I stopped on the side of the trail was the most beautiful Thamnophis I've ever seen. I think it's sirtalis infernalis but please enlighten me if need be!
I really enjoyed this gartersnake. I snapped a quick picture and went to grab it, slowly creeping closer and squatting down. I reached as quick as I could and grabbed it softly, so softly it didn't move a muscle. So i let it be and took a few shots, I then grabbed it quick to try to get a facial shot. I knew you guys have a lot of garters and figured it might be necessary. When I came back in ~30 minutes 2 where there but they both were gone quickly.

On my way back I climbed back into a higher, dryer elevation and saw multiple alligator lizards and one more garter. I think this is a shasta alligator lizard.

I met Zach the next day and we checked out a couple spots. I found my first ever boa. An amazing snake to see in the wild and second on my target list behind only zonata!
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

We also found an arboreal salamander (one of the species I was on the look-out for up north). I spent way too much time looking up for salamanders LOL!
Then we went to a place that had some artificial cover down and I really had a good time. I'm not privy to many places with artificial cover and this produced just how I read it would! The trips first two northern pacific rattlers were almost immediately found! I really love these guys! The second was a awesome green!
Found my first gopher ever!
Then I found a Skilton's skink. I observed about 100 skinks in the entire trip, some even copulating (second pic).
The third day I went back to place that I found all by myself on my first trip, and loved everything about, from the views to the herps! I hiked it 3-4 times on my first trip and found plenty of herps, but today was rather cold, with highs in the mid-high 50's. Fence lizards, alligator lizards, and skinks were abundant, ample prey base!!! I was keeping an eye out for the stone that I found a cal king under with my daughter and I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I flipped one again.
We hiked a bit further and turned back. I thought it was mostly a lost cause. On the way back though I kept my eye on the slope catching the most light and saw this guy.
The last day was uneventful. We went somewhere with nice habitat but it was really cold and were totally skunked. Hope you enjoyed!