Some hooks I made recently

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Helleri

Some hooks I made recently

Post by Helleri » April 10th, 2015, 9:44 pm

These are not as good looking as some of the hooks I have made in the past (The last hook I made I think my dad still has, after both dropping it down a ravine and backing up over it with his car, so it probably isn't looking very well off about now either):

But, while they are not always pretty I do tend to make them Stronk Leike Russian Tenk. The first one I made about a two weeks ago. When Trevor was going herping and didn't have one. The pole was unfortunately an aluminum alloy. So, it couldn't be tempered and heat treated. But, given it was a Ski pole, it is very thick aluminum.

The little one I made today. Because...well I was board and found a tiny hook and some steel tubing.
I know. it looks like an Epee that has seen better days (that is a bell off of an old school fire alarm, and the handle is part of a lamp). Good news with this one is it could be through tempered on the shaft and differently tempered on the hook (harder on the distal tapering and softer on the thick of it). Seeing as how it's all steel and none of it is stainless in the AISI 400 series.

I really like making the L hook itself out of rafter hooks (those hooks that screw in and usually come with a rubber sleeve dip-dried onto them). The zinc galvanization burns off easy enough (but, you want to do it outside and have goggles and a dust mask at least because of SiO2 fumes. The Zinc shakes...No thanks). And, the steel usually has just the right carbon (and I am pretty sure there is some bismuth in there) content to heat at blow torch or outdoor gas burner temperatures. Yet it isn't so mild that it wont anneal, temper, and treat. You can get away with as little as coleman stove, a ball peen hammer, the anvil part of a large bench vice (or an ISO or small good neighbor anvil), and a bucket of ice water (motor oil if you got it). Also, a large file to clean it up and smooth it out is nice to have.

Ross Padilla

Re: Some hooks I made recently

Post by Ross Padilla » April 13th, 2015, 3:49 am

I like them. Mine looks a lot like the large one. Have had it since 2006. Bought it from a guy on Ebay going by cheapsnakehooks.com. It was only $20. That site isn't around and don't know if there ever was one. The hook fell off that year, so I used JB weld to reattach it and its never fallen off since then. He should have used that stuff in the first place. lol Now I can't find it anywhere and its my good luck snake hook. I've found some really cool looking Cal kings with it.

Helleri

Post by Helleri » April 13th, 2015, 7:37 am

Looks like he might have made it in a similar manner. Is that a golf club shaft? The steel golf clubs can work really well, and the great thing is they come with a grip. Also, JB Weld is some great stuff. I like to use it on more cosmetically finished hooks to blend that little lip where the tube ends and the hook begins. I also find it useful for creating water tight seals. Have you seen the putty epoxy JB Weld has now?

One of the things I like about using rafter hooks is that I have never made one that way where the hook snapped off (I have seen hooks snap off or come detached other wise on a couple other snake hooks. Especially those titanium alloy ones). These rafter hooks have that meaty sharp thread that really bites into any thing it screws into. I tend to use thick walled steel poles that are not really wide enough to allow for threaded part to go in. It usually takes flattening the thread on two sides with a hammer. And, often even blow torching the pole to expand the metal a bit and make it slightly more malleable. Still screwing the hook in can be the hardest part. But, once it is in that is 1-3" of tang with the inside metal of the tube almost shrink wrapped around it.

shredsteban

Post by shredsteban » April 13th, 2015, 1:44 pm

I'd like to use that smaller one. I'd feel like Captain Hook every time I hit the field!

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla » April 13th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Helleri wrote:Looks like he might have made it in a similar manner. Is that a golf club shaft? The steel golf clubs can work really well, and the great thing is they come with a grip. Also, JB Weld is some great stuff. I like to use it on more cosmetically finished hooks to blend that little lip where the tube ends and the hook begins. I also find it useful for creating water tight seals. Have you seen the putty epoxy JB Weld has now?

One of the things I like about using rafter hooks is that I have never made one that way where the hook snapped off (I have seen hooks snap off or come detached other wise on a couple other snake hooks. Especially those titanium alloy ones). These rafter hooks have that meaty sharp thread that really bites into any thing it screws into. I tend to use thick walled steel poles that are not really wide enough to allow for threaded part to go in. It usually takes flattening the thread on two sides with a hammer. And, often even blow torching the pole to expand the metal a bit and make it slightly more malleable. Still screwing the hook in can be the hardest part. But, once it is in that is 1-3" of tang with the inside metal of the tube almost shrink wrapped around it.
Yes, it is a golf club shaft. I haven't seen the putty by JB weld, but I bet it works just as well. That stuff is amazing. I've really put mine to the test, like flipping wet mattresses and couches.

Helleri

Post by Helleri » April 14th, 2015, 9:50 am

I put the bell on the small one because it was turning out to be short and thin. So I figured it be used to work in small spaces or through small openings.And, likely for handling smaller snakes. And, if my hand is going to be that close to something that warrants using a hook...well it made sense to me to have something the blocks the line of the hand and arm from a potential strike. But, I will probably cover that dish in 4-5 once veg tan leather (of which I picked up a half belly of at a silent auction for 30 bucks...now I just need to retrieve my tools as I recently moved again).

The JB Weld putty is pretty cool stuff. Comes in a clear plastic tube. And, I is the grey stuff in putty form tubed around a putty form stick of the hardener. You just cut a slice off like with a roll of cookie dough and kneed it together. Sculpt it onto the object(s) to be welded and let dry and cure. It takes the mess and possible ratio mistakes out of it. Really great stuff.

shredsteban

Post by shredsteban » April 14th, 2015, 10:35 am

Yeah the putty is great. I use it for a bunch of different house hold items and even things for work. I've never had any joints that had JB Weld on it fail. I've snapped the actual golf club before the weld gave out.

Helleri

Post by Helleri » April 30th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Found some time to finish that little one today.

The big one is with my brother (as I put it together for him) and I think he likes it just as it is. So, there is not likely any more work to be done on the big one.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » May 3rd, 2015, 5:08 am

Stronk Leike Russian Tenk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Helleri

Post by Helleri » May 4th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
Stronk Leike Russian Tenk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WoT player?