Ruber/Speck hybrid...I'll let you guys decide

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rothdigga

Ruber/Speck hybrid...I'll let you guys decide

Post by Rothdigga »

I went out to Phoenix last weekend to work and hang out at the Phoenix AM skateboard contest. Did some fun herping while out there and found a few things.
On the way home, there was a TON of traffic coming up and since it was just sunset, I decided to cruise a couple passes on a very popular road that we're all familiar with. I'm probably the only person who had never found a snake on that road, but I really had only cruised it 4 times prior to this and always just 1-2 passes while on my way somewhere else.
On the first pass I saw a snake in front of my car, some juvenile crote. I've seen plenty of posts in the past about "Is this a Ruber...is this an Atrox...is this a...." from this road and after seeing this snake I see why. I figured it was just a really crazy looking Ruber that hadn't got it's color yet (and I just labeled it as such on Flickr). But it also looked like a speck, and really you could say it looks like a lot of other things. There was a guy who pulled over behind me to check it out and he was convinced it was a Mojave...ha.

Anyways, I figured I would post some pics for you all to enjoy. Whatever it is, it's a really cool looking snake. I shot pics of it and helped it off into the bushes and away from any more cars on the road.

ImageRed-diamond Rattlesnake (crotalus ruber) by jrothdog, on Flickr

There's a bit of cell phone video I shot as well that I haven't uploaded yet but will try to get to soon.

I'll put up a post from the AZ stuff I found after I make my other work trip out there in 2 more weeks. Nothing earth shattering found out there, but it's always a treat.
hellihooks

Re: Ruber/Speck hybrid...I'll let you guys decide

Post by hellihooks »

one gets posted bout every other year, as a hybrid... desert phase ruber... ;)
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

hellihooks wrote:one gets posted bout every other year, as a hybrid... desert phase ruber... ;)
Like I said Jim, even if it's "just a ruber" it was a cool looking one nonetheless.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Yeah I know how you feel, I usually don’t bother stopping for crotes either (aka dung or as most call it excrement). Dude, there are more than 4 dungs in that area, so it will be hard narrowing that down, but the rattler is interesting. :thumb:
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Crotalus mitchrubscuttrox
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

All kidding aside, and my compliments on superb identification photos. My first intuition is mitchellii. Then after second guessing I thought, hmmmm could this be an April fools panamintina. Now after a true examination of rostral scales, pits, and other features, my I.D. stands with mitchellii. Its how the pits are set on the face, and locale. Ruber's have obvious nostrils AND pits.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

The truth is you'll never know for sure unless you get blood or scale clippings. Best guess is speck X ruber hybrid, second best would be aberrant ruber but it's not looking pure to me. Panamint wouldn't be an option due to tail banding and lack of supra ocular crease.
dave_zeldin

Post by dave_zeldin »

I cant get over how pretty this snake is. Such a great find. Like I told you earlier, I just really hope this snake doesn't end up in some poachers hands.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Rothdigga wrote:
hellihooks wrote:one gets posted bout every other year, as a hybrid... desert phase ruber... ;)
Like I said Jim, even if it's "just a ruber" it was a cool looking one nonetheless.
I didn't mean to sound dismissive... i'd love to actually see such a unique crote. Bill Hayes at Loma Linda actually has some genetically verified hybrids... but short of testing, it's really hard to say. :thumb:
mattg

Post by mattg »

ruberXhelleri