Flying with hook-sticks

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tokoloshe

Flying with hook-sticks

Post by tokoloshe »

I'm sure I'm not alone .... you decide to fly with your hook-stick as carryon because it won't fit in your suitcase. Then last second you leave it in the car because TSA might take it.

Anyone travelled with their hook-stick as carry-on? Wondering if it can pass as a cane.
tokoloshe

Re: Flying with hook-sticks

Post by tokoloshe »

I found an old thread on this, but seems no-one has travelled with a non-collapsable hook as carry on.
chrish

Post by chrish »

The problem you have to consider is that even if read TSA's site and figure out it seems OK, that doesn't mean the TSA people on duty that day will let you take it.

I'm not sure which other threads you read but in one of the old threads about this I gave an example of where TSA stopped me from taking a hook because I accidentally used the word "tool" while decribing what it was for.
Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn »

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread: Why carry it on?

Check it in a fishing rod tube.
condyle

Post by condyle »

I did in 85. I got less attention than I thought I would back then, EXCEPT, from a fellow herper who spotted it. We remain friends to this day. A couple gentlemen asked me if it was a new type of putter. Good luck. May as well give it a shot!
condyle

Post by condyle »

condyle wrote:I did in 85. I got less attention than I thought I would back then, EXCEPT, from a fellow herper who spotted it. We remain friends to this day. A couple gentlemen asked me if it was a new type of putter. Good luck. May as well give it a shot!