Heading to southern Florida for Memorial day

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mdarius

Heading to southern Florida for Memorial day

Post by Mdarius »

By way of introduction, my name is Matt and I'm involved in herping because of my son's passion, not my own... Although I love and respect what it's all about. I've gotten him involved with the National Parks and DWR as a survey volunteer and with the Universities here doing Pickle parties and preserving specimens. He works for a local company doing herp education and parties, and school shows. At 16 years old he's learned to safely handle Utah and Nevada's herp species, including Crotulus Lutosus, having caught, processed, and safely released over 30 individuals last spring. Through work he's "certified" on handling crocodilians and alligator snapping turtles. Albeit a VERY different thing than dealing with them in the wild.

His goals as an adult include invasive species work in the everglades and venom research.

He doesn't know it yet, but I'm taking him to Florida over Memorial Day this year to spend 4 days doing whatever we can. We are coming in to Fort Lauderdale and willing to drive, bring muck boots, camp, get kayaks/canoes, whatever. Is there anything going on in your chapter that we can contribute to? I'm not looking for a tour guide, I'd like him to contribute to a current effort and meet some people in the respectable professional herp community out there. I don't feel comfortable just jumping into the swamps. I know your habitats are very different than what we are used to and can be dangerous to someone who THINKS they know what's up but are really just newbies. Sagebrush is very different than cypress.

If there's not a survey or other something we can be a part of being a tourist is fine too. I'd welcome suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Noah M

Re: Heading to southern Florida for Memorial day

Post by Noah M »

Welcome to my state. I hope you enjoy your visit. As a general rule NAFHA discourages the handling of venomous species. I am not aware of any current survey work you could participate in, but Florida is a big state. Folks farther south, closer to where you are going might have better information.
Mdarius

Post by Mdarius »

Thanks! Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I wouldn't expect or hope to handle the venomous species, but I want to be sure we are aware of them. I only shared his experience as a bio. We don't handle them for kicks and grins, just as part of the surveys.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Sounds like a great trip! How far are you willing to drive? I honestly don't make it down to South Florida that often, but you do have the Everglades and Big Cypress available to you. Between those two, you could easily fill up four days. If you want to kayak, check out the Loxahatchee River - it's a bit of a drive north of Fort Lauderdale but there should be a kayak rental place somewhere up there. I hear that's one of the best paddling spots in S. Florida and I'm sure you can find some aquatic-oriented herps there. There are several paddling trails in the Everglades, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to rent a vessel for those. You should definitely check out an airboat tour if you can't find a means to paddle there.

If you are going to roadcruise the Everglades, don't bring a snake hook or anything that could possibly suggest you are there to collect. There are threads that go into more detail about roadcruising there.

I'm not aware of ay research going on down there, and nothing turned up on the Florida FWC page for that part of Florida. Good luck - I'm sure you all will have fun!
Mdarius

Post by Mdarius »

Excellent! I'll check those out. Thanks!
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I used to work for FWC, and can recommend them as a bunch of decent people who will be able to appreciate what you're into. Some links to potentially-usefully pages of theirs:

http://legacy.myfwc.com/recreation/
a database of "what activities are allowed/encouraged, where?"

http://myfwc.com/viewing/where/
browsable info on WMAs

http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/location/
search or browse by region - Lauderdale is in the S region, the regional office is in West Palm Beach, you could call and describe what you're looking for, they might like to try & help

Aside - I wouldn't get my hopes too high on finding something "to contribute to" over a 4-day visit coinciding with a major holiday weekend. Steel yourself for the insane asylum that is south Florida. Or, haul ass for the boonies, and just dive in. That's my "recommend". Buy a sturdy dipnet and a bucket or tub. Maybe a cheap seine net. Bring or buy some crappy shoes to go mucking in. I suppose you "have to" hit ENP but I would definitely put some time into "lead" (FWC-owned and -operated) Wildlife Management Areas, or "co-op" WMAs which are often e.g. State Forests or Water Management Areas - you'll have a lot more hands-on freedom to herp. It would be terribly frustrating to only go to hands-off places in south Florida!

Don't just fixate on cypress or bottomland hardwood swamp - uplands are cool too, and especially the ecotones - places where uplands and wetlands meet. I can recommend Corbett and DuPuis. Also, I concur on paddling the Loxahatchee. It's awesome. And there's a support industry - rentals & shuttles etc. No need to hoist anything onto the rental car, or figure out "major logistics" at your take-out.

Florida doesn't actually have too many natural hazards (scary, crazy people on the other hand, are numerous). Mostly, respect the alligators - big and/or well-connected water (lakes, rivers, big canals) generally equals big gators, small isolated water (e.g., shallow ponds in the middle of pine flatwoods; roadside ditches) generally equates to just small gators. Avoid contact with big gators. Next, don't trample the cottonmouths - it's really hard to get bitten if you don't actually touch them - but they can be pretty numerous and easy to overlook. Last - lightning is no joke. You're going in the summer rainy season, there's not much summer rain in FL without lightning. For comfort, stock up on bug dope (clothes and skin varieties) and sunscreen, and bring a breathable shade hat and lightweight, high-coverage clothing. Learn what a chigger is, and take preventive countermeasures. Prepare to sweat and be thirsty - you might buy a cheap cooler there, you'd be glad you did.

Have fun! This is your chance to illuminate/supplement your kid's dream with the reality of being outside in a south Florida summer. Definitely get him out of the air conditioning, and into the field. He'll either double down, or run like hell. Either way, you're ahead of where you're at presently.

Oh, I should also mention - unlike Utah, cruising unpaved roads can be quite productive in FL. Check old FHF posts.

This is all just my opinion, anyone reading it is welcome - asked - to validate/refute/supplement.

cheers,
Jimi
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I think you got it Jimi :thumb:

I was hoping to post something similar didn't know where to start :lol:

A few things I would emphasize from Jimi's post.

"Prepare to sweat and be thirsty"

"Avoid contact with big gators. Next, don't trample the cottonmouths"

"lightning is no joke"

I would argue that Florida has many natural hazards (part of my research), but most occur very infrequently and for the more frequent ones, using common sense will prevent most serious issues. For example, bring water to stay hydrated, don't play with armadillos because they carry leprosy, and don't drive through flooded roads. If you keep a level head you should be alright.
Mdarius

Post by Mdarius »

Thanks for the excellent information! The trip is in question due to some changes at work, but I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.