Moving to CA

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

sonora

Moving to CA

Post by sonora » March 25th, 2015, 8:40 am

I am moving to southern California next week but will have a temporary address until late April. My driver's license, etc will have my old address until I can update it. Does anyone know how/if I can obtain a resident fishing license in that time, or will I have to buy multiple 10-day licenses until I get my credentials updated? And since I will no longer have a Washington address, will this affect my ability to get a non-resident license?
Thanks in advance,
Steve Z

hellihooks

Re: Moving to CA

Post by hellihooks » March 25th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Mail yourself a letter to your temp address in Ca, to establish residency here?? not sure that, along with your Wa. ID will work... but it might. Welcome to Ca... :thumb: jim

Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton » March 25th, 2015, 3:50 pm

Most states require 6 months of residency to purchase a resident license.

sonora

Post by sonora » March 26th, 2015, 5:34 am

Thanks guys. I'm assuming I'll be able to buy a one year non-resident license, then buy a resident license next year.
Steve

pete

Post by pete » March 26th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Get a p.o. Box and change your drivers license. Then you are all set.

I lived in San Diego for a year and got a ca drivers license but kept my truck registered in ma. Insurance was so much cheaper here.

Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate » March 30th, 2015, 11:04 am

FYI, If I am correct, you still don't need a licence to hunt for some crotalus. I look for a lot more than just crotalus and I keep a few natives so I have a licence but if you want to spend your first few months here just looking for buzzers you could delay getting your licence until you have a permanent address. This is my understanding of the law, please correct me if I'm wrong.
P.S. What part of SoCal? I'm in SD so hit me up when you have a chance! -NN