Article on Opossum and antivenom development

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tomharten

Article on Opossum and antivenom development

Post by tomharten »

Saw this article this morning on my Science Daily feed and thought it was interesting.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 080201.htm
MCHerper

Re: Article on Opossum and antivenom development

Post by MCHerper »

Thank you for sharing. A few of the related articles looked interesting too.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

It frustrates me when the conference presentations are publicized without a peer reviewed paper. Sound like interesting research and I hope it eventually gets published.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

I agree with Bryan, as we so often hear of exciting potential advances in medicine (gila monster venom/diabetes, various and sundry Viperidae or Elapidae venoms for X therapies, etc.), but rarely do I hear of follow up or if the hyped benefits in fact materialize and come into practical use. I guess it is the marketing folks getting ahead of the research chemists/scientists? I recently had my dogs given an injection to protect against venomous snake bites, but as far as I know, and consulting several DVM's, little is available to support its efficacy, beyond the marketing pamphlets. Maybe with due diligence I can dig up more information...?

Thanks for sharing, I too think it is interesting. IF this turns out to be true, it is wonderful news and doubtless will save a lot of lives. I wonder if entrepreneurs will be culturing opossum colonies?

Vic