A little of South Florida and southern Georgia.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Young

A little of South Florida and southern Georgia.

Post by Josh Young »

I made a last minute trip down to SoFla to meet up with some guys from NC/VA/PA at the beginning of March. I went down to an area known to many for SoFla mole kings hoping to score myself another but the weather didn't do as expected and kinda flopped. It was just hot, and the only herps out were racers flying across the roads and ribbon and water snakes sitting on the roads at night. They were at the end of their trip and after we parted I decided to head down to my previous home county, Palm Beach, and do a little bit of fishing and some herping. Fishing was good, herping was slow.

I encountered this brown water snake while fishing one of my old usual canals. It's usually always got a water snake of 1 of the 3 species in the area, if not all 3.

ImageBrown water snake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

I also came across only a single racer, surprisingly, while walking a trail in a preserve area.

ImageRacer. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Nights were slow too, I went to one of my spots I would shine rough greens consistently during this time of year and managed to spot 3 one night, after not seeing any the night before.

ImageSleeping rough green snake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Tried again, and came up empty again, to turn up Everglades dwarf sirens in the areas I use to find them. Water level is up so high and the introduction of predatory fish to these areas probably has them behaving differently and not being as active in the deeper and open water.

Habitat shot for the dwarf sirens.

ImagePsuedobranchus axanthus belli habitat in Palm Beach County, FL. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

On my last day in SoFla I decided to go back to the area for SoFla mole kings to pester some other herpers there. I had one of the guys ride with me in hopes of turning up something cool while the other guys went off in another vehicle. We didn't really see much of anything until dark. We managed a swamp snake, some ribbons, and then finally came across the only tricolor on the east coast I will forever be in love with, a coral. I had gotten one freshly hit the night before back in PBC, so it was nice to get one alive, and it was a lifer for the guy with me which made it even better.

ImageEastern coral snake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

I left them all back at their camp in Highlands County and drove through the night all the way north to Long County, Georgia to meet up with a couple of friends to herp. We started the morning off hiking for indigos and corals at a WMA, but the cloud cover rolled in and threatened rain so we left, only to have it blow over and look nice again. We decided to go to a different area to cruise for whatever. We split off, they went one way and I another, on my pass back up the road after hitting the end and turning around, I encountered a very large black snake coming onto the road, it immediately turned around and disappeared. What it was, I dunno. Not even a quarter mile down the road I made out another snake crossing the road, slowly, and unmistakably in the manner of a rattlesnake. First diamondback of the year! Called the guys and they made their way over and we took some photos of the snake and then I walked it off the road and placed it into a log jam, hoping that's where it was headed.

ImageEastern diamondback rattlesnake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

The guys photographing the diamondback.

Image_JY02815 by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

We herped a couple different areas through the day, before we all made it to my house where they got some rest before going back east to the Okefenokee area for the rest of the weekend where they had a great trip that I wish I would have followed them back over for.

Here's a few things from around the house.

It's burn season, and all the plantations are doing controlled burns. Came across this one while cruising the other night.

Image_JY02938 by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

The sunset from earlier that day over a swamp down the road from my house.

Image_JY02859 by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

One of the times I stepped outside for a smoke last night I noticed a barking treefrog on my bedroom window. Took a few photos of him and then looked for other species in the yard.

ImageBarking treefrog. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Spring peeper.

ImageSpring peeper. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Plenty of these guys on the house and surrounding trees. Squirrel treefrog.

ImageSquirrel treefrog. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Also noticed a green treefrog up by one of the flood lights on the outside of the house.

ImageGreen treefrog. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Flipped a log behind the house and discovered this momma centipede wrapped around her eggs. First time ever seeing such a thing.

ImageCentipede with eggs. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

ImageCentipede with eggs. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Hope you guys enjoyed. Here's a parting sunset over The Prairie.

Image_JY02677 by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

FloridaSerpent

Re: A little of South Florida and southern Georgia.

Post by FloridaSerpent »

Great photography. Love that EDR

Barry R

Re: A little of South Florida and southern Georgia.

Post by Barry R »

nice coral!