A few coming out for spring in Southern Ohio

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ohiojeff

A few coming out for spring in Southern Ohio

Post by ohiojeff »

A few finds from the past week in a couple of local State Parks.

Here are a few Spotted Salamanders Ambystoma maculatum We found some coming out of the woods on Friday night very late. Last night there were some in the pond and some coming toward the pond from a small drainage area.

A very red wood frog Lithobates sylvaticus from the same pond. There were many at both places.

A bunch of wood frog eggs, I think. These were in a park where the woods were flooded. There were a few salamanders, but mainly Spring Peepers, Western Chorus Frogs and Wood frogs.

Western Chorus Frog Pseudacris triseriata I had never seen these, so I went to the park where we heard they had some. They seemed to be the dominant frog here.

Spring Peeper Pseudacris crucifer I couldn't get this one to peep on camera

Northern Leopard Frog Lithobates pipiens

Jeffersons Salamander Ambystoma jeffersonianum we found a few of these Friday night. They're more rare around here, so we find a lot less. Sorry about the blurriness.

Red Spotted Newt Notophthalmus viridescens First one of these we've seen in "the wild."
Tamara D. McConnell

Re: A few coming out for spring in Southern Ohio

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Oh man, that is some cool stuff, especially the gobs of spotteds.
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Very cool! Love the A maculatum 'en mass' pic. Looks like things are off and running down there for sure. I bet the noise from all the frogs was deafening! Thanks for posting. Still w ice on some ponds up here but snow all gone. Dry forecast for next 7 days so not a whole lot going on except some peeper noise here and there.
JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler »

Great to see things are moving. Hopefully just another week or so in my area. Thanks for posting. I was hoping to see what others are finding.