Herping via Kayaking - New Thread

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mtratcliffe

Herping via Kayaking - New Thread

Post by mtratcliffe »

At the suggestion of Noah, I've decided to start a new thread for my kayaking adventures since the last one was filling up with photos.

For my first post in this new thread, I'll be sharing photos mostly from a short paddle on the Rainbow River on March 7, 2015. I launched less than a mile downstream from Rainbow Springs, and paddled up to the headwaters and back. While it was a short paddle, I saw dozens of turtles - mostly Suwannee Cooters. I also saw a few Peninsula Cooters, what I believe were Coastal Plain Cooters (Pseudemys concinna floridana), and a single Florida Redbelly Cooter. Enjoy!

ImageDSCN6395 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6398 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6400 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6403 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6405 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6413 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6414 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6418 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

This log had more turtles on it than I'd ever seen on any other log - see how many you can count!

ImageDSCN6423 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6424 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6431 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

The turtle in the middle of the photo below - does anyone know for sure what it is? I think it's a Coastal Plain Cooter, based on the shape of its shell.

ImageDSCN6446 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6447 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Here are a few non-herp photos from the river:

ImageDSCN6472 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6495 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6444 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6387 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6481 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

We were camping on this trip near Goethe State Forest, and hit up a trail the following day on the way back to Tampa. Here are a few shots:

Prairie pond - FL Cricket Frogs were heard calling mid-day here

ImageDSCN6517 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Bullfrog

ImageDSCN6515 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Skink - either Five-lined or SE Five-lined. This is right on the edge of the range of the former.

ImageDSCN6522 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Barred Owl that flew over us and landed in a tree. I'd never seen one in the wild before!

ImageDSCN6525 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr
BillMcGighan

Re: Herping via Kayaking - New Thread

Post by BillMcGighan »

You don't know what a shot in the arm this post is to us back further in winter. :thumb: :thumb:

If you haven't already, I might also suggest hitting Alexander Springs, Juniper Springs, Ichetucknee Springs as spring runs that have fewer reminders of civilization.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

BillMcGighan wrote:You don't know what a shot in the arm this post is to us back further in winter. :thumb: :thumb:

If you haven't already, I might also suggest hitting Alexander Springs, Juniper Springs, Ichetucknee Springs as spring runs that have fewer reminders of civilization.
I hope to visit more springs during my time here. So far I've paddle Weeki Wachee, Rainbow River, and Crystal River (Three Sisters Springs). There are few places on Earth that have springs like Florida!
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Oh, how I love those turtle images!
BethH

Post by BethH »

I love the picture of the turtle UP in the tree. Some folks just gotta have a view!
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

BethH wrote:I love the picture of the turtle UP in the tree. Some folks just gotta have a view!
That one was a good four to five feet above the water and was among the largest turtles we saw. I can't recall seeing one that high up before.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

mtratcliffe wrote:
BethH wrote:I love the picture of the turtle UP in the tree. Some folks just gotta have a view!
That one was a good four to five feet above the water and was among the largest turtles we saw. I can't recall seeing one that high up before.

That is nuts. Turtles aren't supposed to climb trees, they're supposed to bask on logs! :lol:
simus343

Post by simus343 »

This is a nice thread. I especially enjoyed the blue color of the water. I really hope I can find the time to visit a nice spring fed system like that sometime in the next few years.

The last time I visited a spring fed area was Wakulla, and that water was tan, oh so tan. I plan to get out and do some kayak herping very soon. Might be going on a Wacissa trip with a good friend that sells eco-tours to tourists. I know for sure that I'm going to hit the Blackwater River and maybe some creeks on Eglin this year. Also going to go to random swamps that I have found but never explored, and put in there.

My goal this year for water ways is to find a mud snake, I don't care what size or color - could be as drab as drab can get, I just want one alive! I have had so many people around here say they have seen muds in some swamps around very developed areas, and I have only ever seen a single 6ft. DOR mud...
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

simus343 wrote:My goal this year for water ways is to find a mud snake
The grass is always greener...

I'd gladly trade in two or three of the mud snakes I've seen for one of your kings :)
Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

Great shots! Nothing says early spring (to me) like logs loaded with turtles warming up for the season ahead.
The turtle in question that you asked about may be an inter-grade/hybrid or whatever with a peninsula cooter. That part of the state is sort of the blurred area of their respective ranges. Plus, peninsula cooters are known to hybridize with other species of Pseudemys so keep that in mind too.
In fact, this turtle https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7627/166 ... 4713_c.jpg (in the center of the photo)
appears to me to be a coastal plain cooter more than the others.
One other observation: notice how some of the Suwanee cooters have more orange plastrons than others? That is a trait of what used to be called the 'mobile' cooter that is found up in the panhandle but as you can see, sometimes occurs well within the range of P. c. suwanniensis.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Carl D. May wrote:Great shots! Nothing says early spring (to me) like logs loaded with turtles warming up for the season ahead.
The turtle in question that you asked about may be an inter-grade/hybrid or whatever with a peninsula cooter. That part of the state is sort of the blurred area of their respective ranges. Plus, peninsula cooters are known to hybridize with other species of Pseudemys so keep that in mind too.
In fact, this turtle https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7627/166 ... 4713_c.jpg (in the center of the photo)
appears to me to be a coastal plain cooter more than the others.
One other observation: notice how some of the Suwanee cooters have more orange plastrons than others? That is a trait of what used to be called the 'mobile' cooter that is found up in the panhandle but as you can see, sometimes occurs well within the range of P. c. suwanniensis.
Interesting - thanks for the info! I did notice how the Suwannees tended to have orange plastrons - more so compared to the ones I've seen at the very southern extent of their range.

It may be impossible to truly ID some of the non-Suwannee Cooters within that part of the state without getting your hands on them. I generally go with Peninsula Cooter = Highly domed carapace, while Coastal Plain Cooters = Flatter carapace, but that is by no means scientific. I also thought that large, brightly colored cooter you pointed out was a Chicken Turtle at first (I later realized I was wrong). I agree that it doesn't look like any Peninsula Cooter I've ever see, so perhaps that is a true Coastal Plain after all. That one turtle was perhaps the most unique looking one I saw during that paddle.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

This past Saturday, I took my sister, who was visiting from Oregon, kayaking down the Weeki Wachee in hopes of finding a manatee for her. Unfortunately, temps have been steadily in the 80s lately, and most manatees have moved back out into the Gulf, as the water there is already in the mid-to-upper 70s. Also, the river was PACKED with kayakers, boaters, and swimmers, which likely scared away any manatees that might have lingered around. Still, it was a beautiful day, and we saw several turtles, plus I got a much sought after lifer! Pics are in order they were taken.

There are a lot of saltwater fish in the Weeki Wachee, especially up near the headwaters. It's a short river that flows directly into the Gulf. These are mullet, and this would have been an excellent underwater shot if not for the bubbles.

ImageDSCN6596 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

More Mullet

ImageDSCN6606 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Sheepshead

ImageDSCN6599 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Can you spot the turtle? I believe it's a Suwannee Cooter.

ImageDSCN6611 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Male Southeastern Spinytail - they have very long legs. Photographing Dragonflies and Damselflies can be difficult, but they are another side hobby of mine, and their presence lessens the disappointment when I get skunked while herping. I love finding a new species like this one here and poring through my guidebook to narrow down an ID.

ImageDSCN6618 - Southeastern Spinytail Male by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Here's my lifer herp from the paddle - a Florida Cottonmouth! I can't believe it took me almost two years of living here to find one. This Cottonmouth was swimming upstream against a steady current. I had to turn my kayak around and keep pace against the current, so getting good shots was very difficult.

ImageDSCN6630 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6633 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Blue-ringed Dancer. Good luck ID'ing any blue Damselfly - it's not always easy.

ImageDSCN6637 - Blue-ringed Dancer by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

I'm guessing that this is a Blackwater Clubtail. Apparently this Dragonfly recently eclosed (emerged from metamorphosis), which is why it is nearly all gray and hasn't developed it's final color pattern.

ImageDSCN6636 - Possible Blackwater Clubtail Colorless Phase by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Suwannee Cooter - I had to swim to get this shot.

ImageDSCN6642 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Peninsula Cooter

ImageDSCN6644 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

After the paddle, we stopped at one of my favorite nature preserves in Pinellas County since it was on the way home. It did not disappoint! Saw three species for the first time this year there, plus some more familiar ones.

ImageDSCN6653 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Peninsula Ribbonsnake

ImageDSCN6656 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Either Pig Frog or Bullfrog tadpoles, with a crayfish.

ImageDSCN6658 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Striped Mud Turtle, found by my sister. It was well camouflaged and moving slowly - I was impressed that she saw it.

ImageDSCN6659 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6661 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Southeastern Five-lined Skink

ImageDSCN6683 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

Florida Watersnake that was actively huting, aka swimming around like crazy. I'm guessing it was chasing after minnows. It would not sit still!

ImageDSCN6673 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr

ImageDSCN6680 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Great line up of "in situ".
The first shot of the cottonmouth swimming is a still of a herp in action.
It shows how high out of the water the swim when traveling. Very, very good.

:?: question:
Was the crayfish in a slurpgun, or just took up residence in a narrow bottle? or neither?
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I like the cottonmouth and water snake in the water photos because of what while Bill said. You can really see how far up in the water the cottonmouth sits compared to the water snake. Also, I don't think I've actually ever seen a cottonmouth in water before, so that's neat to see.

The striped mud turtle is neat as well. It shows how those stripes can help camouflage it. They break up the shape/outline of the shell a bit and make it look like yellow leaves and river muck.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

BillMcGighan wrote:Great line up of "in situ".
The first shot of the cottonmouth swimming is a still of a herp in action.
It shows how high out of the water the swim when traveling. Very, very good.

:?: question:
Was the crayfish in a slurpgun, or just took up residence in a narrow bottle? or neither?
Thanks Bill. The crayfish was actually sitting on a large stick/small log that was submerged in the slough. I thought the stick might have been an Amphiuma or Siren at first, so I took a photo before poking at it and that's when I noticed the crayfish. I didn't even see the tadpoles until I looked at my photos later!

The swimming patterns of Cottonmouths is how I was able to ID the snake almost instantly when I saw it. It was a slower, more deliberate, swim than what a Nerodia sp. would display.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Love the underwater shots, Matt! Makes me want to hit the water. So many turtles!

~Bree
Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

More great stuff! I'm surprised that you didn't get photos of loggerhead musk turtles while underwater. They are super common in some of those rivers you do.
BTW as a side note, someone told me that the reason many saltwater species of fish come into the freshwater springs is to clear themselves of parasites. The fish can take freshwater for a time but their parasites can't.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

After a nearly three-month hiatus, I was finally able to hit the water again last weekend when the wife and kid left town for the week. I chose to explore two smaller rivers in the area that are not by any stretch popular kayaking spots, especially when compared to the Hillsborough and Withlacoochee Rivers. I took a friend along with me to paddle the Braden River in Manatee County on Saturday, and the following day I set off on my own to paddle the Anclote River in Pasco County, on which I only saw one other paddler, and I'm pretty sure that he lived on the river. The two rivers are very different in composition. While the Braden River had more development on its shore and a bit more paddling/boating traffic, we also saw a good three dozen Cooters on the river, plus a few Gators. The Anclote was the more scenic and peaceful of the two rivers, but wildlife has harder to come by. Neither river is very large or long, with the Braden River being a 21-mile waterway that drains into the larger Manatee River, and the Anclote measures at 29 miles and drains directly into the Gulf. A big part of my decision to paddle the rivers was to see if there were any unknown populations of Suwannee Cooters living in either watershed, as both rivers are conceivably within their range. Unfortunately, none were seen, and as such I believe I can rule out the Braden River as a location where they could be found. There were a few Turtles on the Anclote that escaped me before I could get a visual, and given that the Anclote is much closer to the Weeki Wachee (southernmost extent of the Suwannee, besides the Alafia River) than the Braden River, I'm not yet ready to rule that one out. Still, it's unlikely that they are there - someone would have found them by now, right?

The first herp sighting of the day on Saturday was of the terrestrial variety, and quite a surprise. As we were leaving my friend Ben's house in West Central Tampa, we saw this Florida Box Turtle crossing the street. I have no idea if it was a released pet, but we found it right smack dab in the middle of his neighborhood, which is surrounded by Tampa and the suburbs. There is no nearby habitat that one would think was suitable for this species.

Imageiphone FL Box Turtle by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Here is a map showing the portion of the Braden River that we paddled. We launched from Jiggs Landing and paddled up to Linger Lodge, which took about two hours going upriver. We ate lunch at Linger Lodge, then paddled back to our launch point. One day, I'd like to explore further up river from Linger Lodge.

ImageMap by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Once we set out onto the river, we wasted a good 15 minutes taking a wrong turn. As you can see from the map above, where you launch on the Braden River is actually a lake, created by the dam downstream. We took a sidearm of the lake before we realized it was a dead end! Once we hit the river proper, we saw this large Gator ahead, but it went underwater shortly after. We saw three other Gators that day, but I only vouchered one more.

ImageDSCN7861 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

As I mentioned earlier, there were a lot of Peninsula and FL Redbellied Cooters on the Braden River. Some were more shy than others, so I was unable to voucher a good number of them. Still, I was able to get some decent shots of a good number of them.

Peninsula Cooter

ImageDSCN7863 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Scenery

ImageDSCN7864 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7876 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

FL Redbellied Cooter

ImageDSCN7869 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

More Turtles

ImageDSCN7880 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7882 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7885 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

A very photogenic Great Blue Heron

ImageDSCN7888 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

I-75 overpass over the river

ImageDSCN7890 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Juvi Gator by the bridge

ImageDSCN7893 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Redbelly

ImageDSCN7896 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Inside the famously weird Linger Lodge. They have roadkill on their menu, though apparently it's all for show. The food I ordered (Brat and hush puppies) was normal stuff and it wasn't half bad, but nothing to write home about. Apparently this restaurant has been voted one of the strangest in the country, so it's worth checking out for that alone. Plus, it's right on the water, which is great!

ImageDSCN7899 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7904 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

The rest of the photos on the Braden River are from our paddle back

ImageDSCN7907 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7910 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Cooters seem to love basking with their legs up in the air

ImageDSCN7911 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7913 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Huge Redbellied Cooter!

ImageDSCN7918 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7919 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Next up is the Anclote River. I hit the water at around 10 AM, hoping to paddle upstream for an hour and a half before turning around. I didn't get as far as I wanted to (more on that later), but thankfully there was more shade on this river than the Braden River, as it was HOT that day! Thankfully my minor burns from the day before did not get any worse. Below is a map of my paddle - I launched from a makeshift point where Perrine Ranch Road crosses the river, and paddled up to roughly where the marker is. I could tell that others had used the launch point at the bridge before, and I found that spot by doing some searches for paddling trips on the river. There really aren't any public access points until you get down closer to Tarpon Springs, where the river is brackish, and I did not have much interest in paddling down there. I may have to check it out one day though, as there could be some Diamondback Terrapin habitat in the area!

Imagemap by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

View from my launch point:

ImageDSCN7924 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Scenery

ImageDSCN7925 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7928 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Easily a $1+ million home on the river

ImageDSCN7930 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Bad photo of two turtles I saw from a distance. They slid away shortly after. All of the turtles on the Anclote were very skittish, likely due to the infrequent human traffic on the river.

ImageDSCN7932 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

The houses you find on Florida rivers are often very...interesting. They are not always the nicest homes, and sometimes they are quite old and run down. Where I'm from, most houses with waterfront property are well-kept and very pricy.

ImageDSCN7936 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7937 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Peninsula Cooter

ImageDSCN7940 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Deadfall I encountered paddling upstream. It wasn't difficult to push through.

ImageDSCN7959 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

This is why I didn't quite make it as far up the river as I'd hoped...

ImageDSCN7956 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

This Florida Softshell was tangled up in some fishing line. I saw it and was then confused when the turtle was unable to swim away from me. Turns out it was tangled up with some debris as well, which was "leashing" the turtle, limiting its swimming radius. I struggled and struggled to get it free, but the best I could do was removed some of the debirs that was anchoring it. Finally, a local fisherman came by in his canoe and he had a knife on him, and I was able to cut the Softshell free. I'm still not sure how exactly it was tangled, but in the picture below, you can see some damage to its jaw. Hopefully this turtle is recovering just fine!

ImageDSCN7958 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Here's where I stopped to have lunch and to cool off in the river. There was a wide sandy embankment with plenty of shade, which made it an ideal stopping point. Plus, there was a rope swing installed there! I took a few swings into the river to cool off.

ImageDSCN7962 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

I found this Gopher Tortoise shell at my lunch site. I'm not sure what happened to it.

ImageDSCN7961 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

One final scenic shot of the Anclote:

ImageDSCN7963 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

I hope you enjoyed following my paddling adventures! Stay tuned for more in the future.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Very nice trip. That water looked a little dark for me to dip into haha - I'm more of a swamp/upland guy :lol:.

Glad to know you got the soft shell loose. I think the mouth will be fine, the damage didn't look too fresh in the picture.

Hate to say it, but the tortoise shell to me looks like a human may have had some lunch before setting into the river. Damaged front, too clean on the rest for coyote or natural deterioration. Though maybe it naturally deteriorated - but I've seen a lot of naturally decomposing shells and they don't hold that well with that much front only damage.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

simus343 wrote:Very nice trip. That water looked a little dark for me to dip into haha - I'm more of a swamp/upland guy :lol:.

Glad to know you got the soft shell loose. I think the mouth will be fine, the damage didn't look too fresh in the picture.

Hate to say it, but the tortoise shell to me looks like a human may have had some lunch before setting into the river. Damaged front, too clean on the rest for coyote or natural deterioration. Though maybe it naturally deteriorated - but I've seen a lot of naturally decomposing shells and they don't hold that well with that much front only damage.
You always have to be mindful of any gators before going into the water in Florida, but I never saw the first one on the Anclote River and I watched my surroundings for a few minutes before I decided to use the rope swing. A calculated risk!

I was afraid that humans had something to do with the shell looking the way it did. Even near the modernized cities, there are some "Old Florida" residents rooted in their ancestral ways, including eating turtles/tortoises. And I could tell that some of those people lived on the river.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

mtratcliffe wrote: I'm still not sure how exactly it was tangled, but in the picture below, you can see some damage to its jaw. Hopefully this turtle is recovering just fine!
Looks to me like the turtle might have swallowed the hook.

Nice kayak, by the way. I have the same one.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good for you, Matt, helping the softshell.

In the '70s, I kept 3 turtles that had swallowed hooks for 3 months in captivity, just to see how they’d do; 2 snappers and a musk.
With all three, I cut the line as close to the head as I could.
All three continued on like nothing had happened, feeding and defecating well, and maintained their "spirits" for lack of a better word.
All three were released at capture sights.

Three months was not conclusive, and all three swallowed bronze hooks, so I'm sure the hooks deteriorated quickly, but my gut feeling was that they continued in life, contributing their genes to more generations.

The most bizarre survival turtle event I saw was with a Yellow Bellied Slider in Falls of the Neuse lake near Raleigh, NC
It had survived a .22 hit by the idiots that regularly plink at turtles. The top mandible, to the eyes (including the eyes) had been taken off, including the nose.
This animal was browsing on water plants successfully in the shallows, and you could see where the tissue had already begun to heal.
I doubt if it lived through winter, though, as it "jumped" out my hands, out of the boat, and swam into the lake. :oops:
I'll always wonder about that one.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Yeah, swallowing a hook doesn't seem to be a death sentence for a turtle, if the line is removed. I've seen x-rays of turtles with multiple hooks within their body. Tough critters.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Agreed with the others about the hooked softshell- it should be just fine. They are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

A couple of other thoughts:
-The box turtle was an eastern box (T. c. carolina) not a Florida. Definitely someone's escaped/released pet.

-The gopher tortoise shell was broken from the back end, which is actually typical of predator/scavenger behavior. My guess is it was nothing nefarious, it just looks that way at first glance.

Great series Matt! I'd love to come with you on a float sometime! I just have to make it down to Florida....
--Berkeley
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Don't listen to Berkely.
He's in a place where the toilet flushes the wrong direction! ;) ;)
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Ha ha! You're right Bill, I'd been seeing every thing upside down! :)

--Berkeley
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Have a great trip and fill us in on events.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Berkeley Boone wrote:Agreed with the others about the hooked softshell- it should be just fine. They are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

A couple of other thoughts:
-The box turtle was an eastern box (T. c. carolina) not a Florida. Definitely someone's escaped/released pet.

-The gopher tortoise shell was broken from the back end, which is actually typical of predator/scavenger behavior. My guess is it was nothing nefarious, it just looks that way at first glance.

Great series Matt! I'd love to come with you on a float sometime! I just have to make it down to Florida....
--Berkeley
Thanks Berkeley! I've got two kayaks if you ever are down here.

I can now see how it is an Eastern Box Turtle based on the shell pattern. That explains how it was found miles away from any suitable habitat.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Yeah, now that I look again the tort was broken on the backside. Didn't look at the dorsal scutes properly :roll: . Well, that good to know it was at least likely a natural predator
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

good stuff