Eastern Massasauga

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Philrezin1

Eastern Massasauga

Post by Philrezin1 »

My family recently bought a cabin in Adams County, Wisconsin, and I am pretty familiar with the area as far as herping goes. I have found all the other venomous snakes of Illinois (from Rockford) and Wisconsin within the last 12 months actually. I have a BS in Natural Resources and Env. Sciences from U of ILL and was a field ecologist in the Chicago-land area for three years and have herped all my life, so I understand how temperature, timing, target species natural history and habitat preferences influence success. That said, within the past year I have really learned (and been shown by a couple of you) just how significant proper planning and attention to detail is.
I am planning a 2-3 night trip to my cabin for early next summer with the main goal being to locate eastern massasaugas, ideally as close to the cabin as possible. I am currently researching the habitat preferences, phenology, spatial ecology, and general natural history and trying to determine where would give us the best chance. I know some "areas" in the vicinity that have historically had them and still offer all the necessary requirements for a viable sub-population to be there (in fact I have already done ALOT of research and am very confident that I will give us the best shot possible), but due to the bounty WI had placed on them and the fact that the meta-population in general has decreased so dramatically (apparently) the odds are probably not "great". So if anyone would like to offer advice via PM or would like to be in the loop and perhaps come help, let me know, the more eyes the better I feel! I already have a couple family members, friends, and a couple people on here interested! Thanks, Phil!
muskiemagnet

Re: Eastern Massasauga

Post by muskiemagnet »

phil, the central sands is a target of mine for next spring. saugas that is. you may want to go earlier than early summer though. end of may through june is best. we'll talk. just call me. i've got some good areas to look.

-ben
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

That's not the time frame I was thinking, but you most likely know more than/something I don't. The more I thought about it the more I thought that finding them after emerging from the winter hibernation would be the easiest. When they emerge is pretty set in stone, from my understanding, and can be determined by soil temperature at "x" depth. It's also documented that they stay around (read withing 5 meters of) the hibernation site for 15 days on average. I thought that if we could hit that 2 week window it might take a lot of guesswork out of the scenario?! Anyways we will talk, I called you back earlier but we must be missing each other!
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

saugas can be found as early as the first week in may. there is no need to seek out where they hibernate. they are locked in to their habitat. all one needs to do is go to said habitat and look around. that is why i suggest earlier. the later you go, the vegetation gets thicker. going out to look while the grasses are still knocked down from the winter is best. you can see them from fifty feet away.

i sent you an email. take a look. i'm also going to call you in five.

-ben