Ambulatory Night Herpin

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

smallieslayer

Ambulatory Night Herpin

Post by smallieslayer »

Hello everyone, my names Garrett. Just moved to Tucson/Sahuarita from La Crosse WI with my wife and 4 boys. Can someone explain how to go out at night for snakes? Not road hunting but field exploration. Do you just wander around with a big light? Look for eye shine or look for snakes on the move, flip rocks etc? We've had our initiation to scorpions and tarantulas already and bought a black light for use around the house. Also had a javelina in the garage couple nights ago. Had the pleasure of seeing some giant Sonoran toads coming home from the AZ-Sonora museum last Sat. I cant believe how huge those things are! Thanks for any input.
ThamnElegans24

Re: Ambulatory Night Herpin

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Hello Garrett. It sounds like you're on the right track. A good light and lots of batteries are key. In and around washes are best, especially near the base of mountains. No eye shine. Look for them on the move, or coiled under rocks, trees, bushes, or even in the open. Flipping rocks is dangerous enough during the day. I wouldn't do it at night. And please watch your step. I don't know how it is in WI, but most of the snakes you will encounter at night here will be rattlesnakes. And bring plenty of water. Just because the sun isn't up doesn't mean the heat won't get to you. I usually scout a place on google earth, and check it out in day light to make sure it's up to my standards. Good luck, have fun, be careful, and please let us know how it goes.
smallieslayer

Post by smallieslayer »

Thanks for the advice. Ya, not in the mood to get bit. If the snake didn't do me in, my wife would finish the job. She's already paranoid about the scorpions
Most of the snakes we found in WI are red bellies, brown snakes, fox snakes, garters, waters, and occasionally a timber rattler, bull, or green snake.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

No fox snakes, but gopher snakes are similar. Gophers and diamondbacks are the most common around housing developments. We also have garter snakes where there's water. Try herping in the early hours of the day up until about ten am. It's a good time for lizards too. The kids should like them.

Terry :crazyeyes:
smallieslayer

Post by smallieslayer »

Thanks Terry, any tips on catching one of those lizards? Dang things are fast and always run in to a cactus out in the yard :)
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I have my methods, if I have to catch one, but most are not meant to be caught. Folks who study lizards up close usually noose them, I believe, but I'm not one of those. I do have lots of little cover objects in my yard, such as rocks, boards, plastic, etc. My main objective is to photograph as many lizard species as I can for the database. Being a NAFHA member is not only about learning about the herps of AZ, but also at least making a few entries, so we can fully participate in the process. Also, members are more willing to help others if they are also known NAFHA members.

Studying lizards and their habits, etc, requires some working knowledge, such as when they're active. Season usually starts in April with most lizard species, but I like to start in January. I'm talking about flipping brumating lizards. Some of my best finds have been in the winter of lizards that most folks don't ever see. Locations are important. You'll have to find some good spots. When lizards are cold they stay put, sometimes under cover, but mostly underground. I like to hunt lizards when they're first waking up in the morning. They're a little more sluggish. Also, in my yard they're used to me and don't move as fast as in the open desert. Just observe and they'll settle down a little.

Of course you know Gila monsters are a protected species and venomous. Not a good idea to pick one up, or harass too much getting a pic. Hiking the washes in a good area in the early morning is a decent approach. Watch out for mtn lions around mtn foothills though. Here's a list of lizards we have in our yard: gila, banded gecko, tree, tiger whiptail, zebra-tailed, desert spiny, and regal horned lizard. We live in Upper Arizona Desert scrub habitat. There are many more lizard species at higher elevations.

Good luck with your observations, have fun, be safe, and let us know how things are going... :)
smallieslayer

Post by smallieslayer »

Ya, not gonna noose any. Growing up in Cali catching lizards was a challenge at times but the worse they ever did was run in to some tumbleweed, usually in to some wood pile. I caught lots of desert night lizards and some banded geckos in the winter/cooler months by flipping in the Mojave/Lancaster area. I was able to find my camera amidst all the boxes in the garage so I will be trying to get some good shots of the yard fauna and more as I explore. We haven't closed on our house yet so living out of boxes in a rental near Tucson Mountain park.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Glad you found your camera. Look forward to some pics. Tucson Mtn. Park is a good area for gilas, tortoises, and a variety of lizards. Whiptails are almost impossible to catch by hand, unless they are cold, but there's others you can chase around, like side-blotched. Look for horned lizards too. They usually don't run much.

Be careful with all the rattlesnakes around. Lots of diamondbacks, but also tigers that you might see at night. Coral snakes in your area too!

Terry 8-)