Two-lined Sally (Not any more)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Two-lined Sally (Not any more)

Post by Noah M »

I've been trying to find as many salamanders as I can here, and have been making several trips to the panhandle area in hopes of finding them.

I had moderate success on this last trip.

These have got to be most yellow looking Dwarf salamanders around. I looked closely with the help of J. Scott, and the size of them, plus the cirri on the male suggesting maturity, speckling, and belly coloration makes these probably Eurycea cf. quadridigitata. Here are some other pictures of individuals found that day.

First one

Second one

2nd and 3rd together

Cricket Frog

Marbled Salamander - I never remember to bring water to wash them off a bit before pictures, so this one has log dust on it.
The one on the right (I think) is a Yellow-bellied Slider (T. s. scripta). The one on the left is Pseudemys. Not sure on the species though. Gadsden County if it helps.
Rich in Reptiles

Re: Two-lined Sally

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Congratulations on your lifer two-lined!! Such cool critters! Log dust and slime shine- a salamander photographer's nemesis!!!!!!
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Really cool. I'll email you.

-Jake
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Are you sure that is a yellow belly, Noah? It looks to me like another cooter. The shell shape isn't quite right for Trachemys, there are no dark spots on the gular scutes, and there does not seem to be a yellow blotch behind the eye.

Congrats on that two-lined, by the way! That's good stuff!

--Berkeley
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Berkeley Boone wrote:Are you sure that is a yellow belly, Noah? It looks to me like another cooter. The shell shape isn't quite right for Trachemys, there are no dark spots on the gular scutes, and there does not seem to be a yellow blotch behind the eye.

Congrats on that two-lined, by the way! That's good stuff!

--Berkeley
When I looked at it full res, it looked like the yellow-bellies in our pond, with the bright yellow "S" behind the eye. But honestly, they were so far away, I'm not really confident in my ID.
Berkeley Boone

Re: Two-lined Sally (Not any more)

Post by Berkeley Boone »

No worries. The second pic you put in, the cropped one from your first pic; that is definitely a cooter.

Sorry about the two lines, too. I was actually going to say that they looked liked Dwarves to me, but I didn't want to be 'that guy' and correct two IDs in one post.

--Berkeley
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

What species of cooter? I was too far west I think for Swuannee. General river cooter, concinna?
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

captainjack0000 wrote:What species of cooter? I was too far west I think for Swuannee. General river cooter, concinna?
Looking at the shell shape, that is what I would agree with. A nice mid-size concinna.

--Berkeley