Massachusetts Blizzard Herping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mike h

Massachusetts Blizzard Herping

Post by mike h »

This post is originally from February, 2013 but it seems far more relevant today.

Well, with weather reports of snow not bothering us in the least, we decided to try out a new place in Suffolk County MA... a place by the name of Dillage Vale.

We got there at about noon...

ImageDSCN3426 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We immediately started flipping, not really expecting anything, but we hoped to be surprised.

ImageDSCN3427 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSCN3428 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We took a promising-looking trail and found a discarded rug. Thinking about our success with such AC (artificial cover) at Boyden in the past, we decided to flip...

ImageDSCN3429 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Andrea yelled "snake" and I got this quick in-situ shot...

ImageDSCN3430 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Luckily, her quick reflexes responded and she nabbed it...

ImageDSCN3431 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Was this our long sought after Hognose? The field guides to the herps of Massachusetts that we'd brought along didn't help our IDing any!

ImageDSCN3432 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSCN3433 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

So, we're calling it an Eastern Garter, because they can be so variable... if anyone can ID it any better, then you're a better herper than I!

Spurred on by our luck, we decided to ascend a mountainous trail that leads to potential good habitat.

ImageDSCN3438 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

This vernal pond had dried up, though I'd heard about a Red-Eared Slider sighting here in the past...

ImageDSCN3440 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Andrea, always keen on finding venomous snakes, tried her luck in some good looking Timber habitat... but there was nothing...

ImageDSCN3441 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

I found a cave and explored it, but there were no herps... just some scat, probably mammal.

ImageDSCN3443 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

On the way down the mountain, we took a side-trail and I made a very exciting find... a lizard!

ImageDSCN3444 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Now, there aren't supposed to be any lizards in Massachusetts, but here was one!!! 5-Lined Skinks have been found in Connecticut, however, and with this global warming upon us... we're pretty sure that's what we have right here!!

ImageDSCN3446 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

So, not bad for February!! 2 herps, one new to Mass!!! This will look good on the database!

COME ON, SPRING!!! HOW MUCH MORE OF THIS SHIT DO WE HAVE TO TAKE????

ImageDSCN3450 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr
beemaster

Re: Massachusetts Blizzard Herping

Post by beemaster »

How close were you guys to the vernal pool when you found that snake? It has heat pits! I think it's one of those Massachusetts water moccasins I've heard so much about!
axeman2729

Re: Massachusetts Blizzard Herping

Post by axeman2729 »

so funny! and I think that lizard is actually a very fat eastern fence lizard...