Herping the Southeast Australian Coast?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MonarchzMan

Herping the Southeast Australian Coast?

Post by MonarchzMan »

It looks as though I got a fellowship to go to Australia June-August to do some research on frogs there. I realize that this is not the best of times to be going looking for herps, but I'm hoping that I can find some while there. I'll be in the Newcastle area and probably make my way down to the NSW/VIC border and perhaps even up near the NSW/Queensland border. I don't know how much time I'll have to poke around, but I'd like to be as productive as possible.

Can anyone give me tips or spots I should hit while there? I realize that going up to Queensland or elsewhere probably would be more productive, but I'm not sure I'll have time to do so (I might have the option to go to Cairns in August, depending on how productive I am earlier). Having never been there, it'll be completely new to me, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
chrish

Re: Herping the Southeast Australian Coast?

Post by chrish »

Just got back from a trip "frogging" and recording frogs around Cairns and north to Port Douglas area. Working on a post for the forum....coming soon!

I'm not sure about midwinter in NSW or VIC though. I guess rain will be the biggest issue. I do remember when I was a kid in Sydney, we had winter school holidays in August then and it often rained.

But someone from down under will certainly give you a more specific answer.
MonarchzMan

Re: Herping the Southeast Australian Coast?

Post by MonarchzMan »

I'm hoping it won't be a bust going that time of year. It seems like it's not the most ideal for herping. I'd be happy to go frogging, as long as I can add some species to my list!