State Goals for the coming season!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Knightkrawler5

State Goals for the coming season!

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

Figured I would attempt to start a topic while we all wait for spring! Post your state and your herp goals for 2015!

I'm in WI, and I would like to find...

Queen Snake (Endangered in WI)
Western Worm Snake (only known from one county)
Eastern Plains Garter Snake (would be a lifer)
Eastern Massassauga in an extirpated location
Range extension for the WI Lined Snake population
pjfishpa

Re: State Goals for the coming season!

Post by pjfishpa »

Always want to find a lifer (still have plenty to find near me). An Ohio copperhead or timber would really be cool. Am going looking in So Ohio in April and May.
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Goals:
-Streamside and either Zigzag or Ravine salamander in Kentucky this March on way to a VA scholarship competition
-Eastern TIGER!!!! in Michigan (probably late March/early April)
-Michigan Massasauga
-Blue Ridge Spring or Black-chinned Red Salamanders in Smokies
-Green Salamander
-Eastern Hellbender this fall
-Midland Mud Salamander
-Northern Red Salamander
-VA Timber Rattler
-Four-toed and hybrids on MI migration night

P.S. I won an "optimist club" competition last year. In that spirit, I predict Western Chorus Frogs will be out in Detroit metro in a mere two weeks. :lol:
Happy herping to all!
mokasen

Post by mokasen »

No lifers left in my home state of MN unless there are sauga's still around - some herpers insist they are still here in extremely small numbers but I'm not holding my breath. I'll go with my favorite locals and while they are not lifers each one is a great find in MN.
#1: Timber rattlesnake - My favorite non snake to find in the field. Can never get or say enough
#2: Eastern hogs - So variable and that attitude is second to none
#3: Western/plains hogs + Bullsnakes - Tied since I find them in the same spots a lot and love the hissing and variety
#4: Fox snakes: My first "real" snake in MN, love their color and temperament
#5: Milksnakes: Especially the pretty little ones, consistently the most aggressive snake in MN
One of the few saving graces of living in MN is that we have some pretty awesome snakes and I'm very lucky to know where to find them - only took 30 + years of searching too :oops:
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

goals as far as species? i have non really. i'll have to second stu's list because there is a real good chance i will be with him anyways.

my goal for this year is to piggy-back a personal study with a DNR study that stu and i have been helping with. i want to learn about movements and den utilization. this will help me learn how to help manage timbers on a private parcel. we have already begun trying to create safer rookeries(moving the snakes by opening the canopy). my lifetime goal is to be able to help facilitate den usage to include new dens(habitat restoration needed). if i(with the help of friends) can make this happen, i will be happy. i will cry on the day that i see babies at a site created by hard work and dedication. that will be the icing on the cake.

helping the species expand within my state. :)

-ben
David O

Post by David O »

1. Kirtland's snake
2. Mudpuppy
3. Queen Snake
4. 5 Lined-skink

The above all are documented from my home county, but all but the $%*&@ Kirtland's have no official records for decades. Need updated. The following I hope to see in FL in about a month.

1. Indigo
2. Pygmy
3. Salt Marsh Water Snake
4. Scarlet King
5. Swamp Snake
Trey

Post by Trey »

In Ohio there are still a few I have yet to see.

LIFERS:

C. kirtlandii- #1 for sure
L. getula- #2 for sure.
Nerodia e. neglecta- Have seen in other states, no luck in Ohio.
O. aestivus- Have seen in other states, just not Ohio.
T. brachystoma- I know the exact spot where i am GUARANTEED to find them, just have not been there yet...

There are others that I haven't seen in a while that I would like to.

C. horridus- saw one when I was 11 or 12. I barely count it.
H. platirhinos- At this point its been 3 years :/
O. vernalis- again 3 years...
S. occipitomaculata- oddly enough, I haven't seen one in a looong time. Maybe 5 years?
T. butleri- Been a couple years

Then of course come my favorites, that I know I will see and can't wait to!

S. catenatus- Was a GREAT year for these guys last year. Saw 20 or so easily.
A. c. mokasen- Favorite Ohio snake, I don't see them too frequently, but I sure do love them!

And as for the rest this great states snakes, I shouldn't have a problem finding them. I typically see at least one specimen every year.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

I got a pygmy in FL last year when I went with my in-laws. Really only had about an hour to herp and we about walked right over him! Apparently they are locally common in some areas. Good luck!