Just a few things from the past few weeks.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Young

Just a few things from the past few weeks.

Post by Josh Young »

With most local Ambystoma activity slacked off and nearly to an end now, I thought I share the few things I've seen since the middle of January.

Starting with a couple of snakes found at a pond behind my house. It was a warmish night and I had gone down to see if I could see any tiger salamander activity in it, which I didn't, but I did manage to see a few banded water snakes and an eastern ribbon snake, as well as all the regular frog species.

ImageEastern ribbon snake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

ImageBanded water snake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Mole salamander flipped under a log behind my house.

ImageMole salamander. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Marbled salamander also flipped under a log behind my house.

ImageMarbled salamander. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Ornate chorus frog hiding along the edge of a vernal pool that forms in my backyard.

ImageOrnate chorus frog. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

On the night of the Super Bowl we had a rain system come through starting at just around sunset and lasting up to around 1 am, I went cruising for salamanders instead of caring about anything to do with the Super Bowl.

There were a bunch of dwarf salamanders on the roads.

ImageDwarf salamander. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Just before midnight, at 11:56 pm, I got my target, another male tiger salamander leaving a vernal pond I knew they were using.

ImageEastern tiger salamander. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

When I got home I decided to walk around the house and see if any residential herps were out while I smoked.

The residential gray rat snake was out along with a few different frogs.

ImageGray rat snake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

The next day I had a lens that I ordered arrive, so I took a few shots to test it out. It's a Samyang 10mm F2.8 wide angle lens.

So, since I picked up the tiger salamander for posed shots, I took him down to the vernal pool behind my house to try it out with a herp in the frame.

Then the day after I went back to the area I found the tiger to get a shot of him with the pond he was leaving in the frame as well. I released him the next, which was yesterday, since we had more rain soak the area all day and night.

Here's the pond by itself that I have found the last 5 (3 alive, 2 DOR) tiger salamanders.

ImageVernal pond. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

Another pool they are using the same general area as well, found a male leaving here a while back.

ImageVernal pool. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

And here is what surrounds all the pools and ponds, plantation managed pine "forest" which is mostly managed for bobwhite quail, as quail hunting is a big thing with the plantations where I live.

ImagePine managed plantation land. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

And that's it. Maybe this weekend I'm going to visit a WMA a little further west since we will have some nice warm temps, and I'm very interested in trying the new lens out some more. Also looking forward to the end of the month as I will be spending the end of February through possible most of March back down in SoFla. Till next time....

Noah M

Re: Just a few things from the past few weeks.

Post by Noah M »

Good stuff. I like the habitat shots too. Thanks for sharing.

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Yes, salamanders are better than the super bowl. :beer: I really like that pic of the ribbon snake too.

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Dang, your salamander shots are beautiful.