Favorite Herp of the Month

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Favorite Herp of the Month

Post by Noah M »

What was your favorite find from January?

This is mine. It is not the best picture ever, but I probably put in the most time trying to find it.

Three-lined Salamander, Liberty Co, Florida
cherper

Re: Favorite Herp of the Month

Post by cherper »

Mine would have to be this: It was my lifer adult tigrinum.

Eastern Tiger Salamander (photo taken by Josh Holbrook)

Cary
mtratcliffe

Re: Favorite Herp of the Month

Post by mtratcliffe »

Mine is two-fold because one can only be expressed through audio, and I also want to leave a picture.

My first herp encounter of 2015 was hearing Spring Peepers near my hotel in SC as we drove back to FL from spending the holidays up in MD/DE. Peepers don't range down to the Tampa area, so I hadn't heard them in a few years. Hearing them was a real treat because the timing was just right with them only recently starting to breed, and it helped that the area had rain recently. This was the only calling site I heard, and it may be the only one I hear all year unless they are still active when I go camping up in Levy County in early March. Here's my entry on H.E.R.P.:

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=212150

As far as photo vouchers, it was a toss-up between a behemoth of an Alligator and a Green Anole. I decided to go with the latter as they are more difficult to turn up around here, it was my first of the year, and it had a crest! I've never seen that before on a Green Anole, and I found it interesting.

ImageDSCN6092 by zeonicweapon, on Flickr\

EDIT

Confession...the Green Anole was found in Feb 1st, but I don't feel like erasing my story!