Any tips for herping in central Florida?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

reptilerambo

Any tips for herping in central Florida?

Post by reptilerambo »

I'm in the Sebring area of central Florida wondering if anyone has any tips for finding snakes in that area. Thanks
chris_mcmartin

Re: Any tips for herping in central Florida?

Post by chris_mcmartin »

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17026

The best advice I could give you, to GET useful advice from an online forum (not just this one, but ANY forum), is to start slow (e.g. introduce yourself vs. immediately asking for help) and establish credibility and trust.

Tell us a little bit about yourself!

:thumb:
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I agree with Chris. Let us know a bit about yourself, a field experience, etc. You should also consider posting in the Southeast forum and getting to know those folks.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

And once you do the above, then let us know what specifically you're looking to observe. I could tell you where to find lots and lots of snakes around central Florida, but they would all be watersnakes and cottonmouths.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I typically find the most snakes by looking for them. I know the seems obvious, but it takes a bit more than just a walk in the park. What are you looking for and why? A bit about yourself could help too. The advice I give I want to be tailored to the person. If you are 14, w/o a car, and are happy with racers, that's a bit different than a seasoned herper from Australia that would like to see one of our vipers.