Request for Photos of Herpers with Herps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Request for Photos of Herpers with Herps

Post by chris_mcmartin »

The report on the "2013 Fall Herpers Survey" is currently in review and I hope to push it to the masses this month. For the cover, I'd like to include a few photos of herpers doing what they do...field herping, husbandry, educational outreach, etc. I have a couple of my own photos, but I'm sure there are much better ones out there.

A shot of a snake eye with the photographer visible as a reflection would be cool. I'm hoping to not have faces readily identifiable (maybe a herp in the foreground with an out-of-focus herper in the background, or only the side/back of a person's face visible). This holds especially true for minors, due to privacy/"bunch of creeps out there" concerns.

This report is being published electronically by SWCHR. I'm not putting my name on it as the author (long story), but I will credit individuals for photos I end up using (unless you wish to remain anonymous).

Photos can be emailed to me at swchr (at) mountainboomer.com, or you can email or PM a link if they're online somewhere. Just give me a heads-up before you email large files because I'll periodically have to clean off my server! Thank you for your consideration.
chris_mcmartin

Re: Request for Photos of Herpers with Herps

Post by chris_mcmartin »

If you email/PM me, please let me know your "real name" (if different than your screen name/email display name) and whether you want the photo credited to you or not.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Chris,

This will have to wait til I get home but I have a lot of good pictures of herpers herping. Might want to check that thread on here out. Unless it's too old and lost in the crash. I was the author of that one, and it really took off.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Justin,

That thread is probably still around...haven't looked lately. I'm hoping instead of me "pulling" information from people (finding photos I like, then contacting the photographer, and so on) I'll get enough people "pushing" me photos for consideration, with the requisite permission etc. I'm getting a slow but steady stream so far. Looking forward to seeing your offerings. :thumb:
chrish

Post by chrish »

Probably not what you are looking for, but here's a shot Rob Bryson doing "what herpers do", so to speak.

and a picture of why kids shouldn't try that at home -

Here's my best herper-in-herp-eye shot -

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

chrish wrote:Probably not what you are looking for, but here's a shot Rob Bryson doing "what herpers do", so to speak.
I find it funny, but given the very broad audience which will potentially see this report it's probably not the "cover photo" I'm looking for! :lol:

The photographer-in-eye shot is probably the best one I've received so far.
gbin

Post by gbin »

I suppose the picture below isn't really appropriate for your purpose, either, though it's long been my favorite photo of a field herper in situ. Taken by Sean Belanger, of Pierson Hill. :)

Gerry

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

gbin wrote:I suppose the picture below isn't really appropriate for your purpose, either
Correct...did he just buy a Toyota?
gbin

Post by gbin »

I wasn't along on the outing, sadly, but if I recall correctly I was told that Pierson was just expressing the joy of field herping. :lol:

Gerry
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Now that everyone else (well, Chris & Gerry, anyway) seems to be spamming your request with somewhat irreverent though on topic photos for cheap laughs already I thought I might contribute as well with a pic of an occult ritual / treefrog photo session :lol:

In all seriousness though, I hope you get some useful response as well and even as I type I am racking my brain for a more appropriate photo to justify my post. Seems all of my other herpers herping photos have easily identifiable faces though (except for a couple of old ones with my blurred out infant / toddler son in the background on his hands and knees moving in for the kill towards the unsuspecting subjects)...

Sorry for the derailment, couldn't resist it :oops:
gbin

Post by gbin »

I'd love to offer more serious help, but unfortunately it's been a long time since I used a camera very much, and even when I did I foolishly neglected to photograph my companions on group outings. Hopefully others here will come through - and in the meantime we're at least helping to keep the request at the top of the message board. ;)

krismunk, that is indeed quite a picture! :lol: I hope you've been able to use it in the occasional presentation to tweak the fellow in the Speedo!

Gerry
chrish

Post by chrish »

Well, one thing we have learned is that herpers have a sense of humor.

I really don't have much. I don't seem to take pictures of herpers herping?

Here's a few, but they might represent behavior we don't want to promote (lying in the road at night!).

unstaged mudsnake flip -

photo sessions (aka - how herpers get run over by cars). I'm sure you can get the subject's (Tim's) permission to use these if you don't get something better.

"field studio" shooting

Studio photo session -
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Thank you to all who submitted photos for consideration.

Final report: http://www.mountainboomer.com/2013_Fall ... Report.pdf