HerpMapper Highlight - Wood Frog

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Chris Smith

HerpMapper Highlight - Wood Frog

Post by Chris Smith »

For more HerpMapper Highlights, checkout the Facebook Group and/or follow @HerpMapper on Twitter.
justinm

Re: HerpMapper Highlight - Wood Frog

Post by justinm »

You can tell where the fields and suburbs are across their range. Timbers are the same way. It's sad that the dots aren't all over their range contiguous.
chrish

Post by chrish »

We really need some Canadian herpers to contribute!
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Guess I need to upload some records from NC and WV.
mfb

Post by mfb »

justinm wrote:You can tell where the fields and suburbs are across their range. Timbers are the same way. It's sad that the dots aren't all over their range contiguous.
Part of the pattern is probably due to variation in where contributors live. Plenty of wood frogs in northeast Ohio and western New York, even if the map doesn't show it.

As participation grows, many gaps will fill in.

Mike
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

chrish wrote:We really need some Canadian herpers to contribute!
Some of us are working on it but don't have many voucher shots of L. sylvaticus or a lot of other common species. A goal for next season. I have a couple more shots if I can find the files but in my defense I did add the Churchill MB one.
ImageDSCF1003 by nacairn, on Flickr
FrogO_Oeyes

Post by FrogO_Oeyes »

I've seen, caught, or heard wood frogs in many places in Canada, and recently got a new county in Minnesota. Many are just sight or sound observations as a kid. In addition, there are many vouchered locations in Canada and Alaska which are not part of HerpMapper.

I've seen or caught wood frogs in Fort McPherson, NWT; Yellowknife, NWT; Stettler, Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, Calgary, Bow Valley Provincial Park, Exshaw, Wagner Bog [with Bill Love and others], and near Entwistle, Alberta. I've heard them in Inuvik, NWT and many other places. They are documented in many places in Alaska, Yukon, NWT [and now Nunavut]. I documented one in Steele County, MN this past year, which is a range expansion.
justinm

Post by justinm »

mfb wrote:
justinm wrote:You can tell where the fields and suburbs are across their range. Timbers are the same way. It's sad that the dots aren't all over their range contiguous.
Part of the pattern is probably due to variation in where contributors live. Plenty of wood frogs in northeast Ohio and western New York, even if the map doesn't show it.

As participation grows, many gaps will fill in.

Mike
I'm speaking from my own personal experiences here. You can look at regional guides as well. Areas that are developed by agriculture have severely affected the range of the Wood Frog.