2015 Spring Trip?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

2015 Spring Trip?

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Hey all,

Well, I've got two new jobs, one new baby, one wife and one old dog to tend to, but thanks to Bill for keeping things going around here.

I think good, fun data collecting trips are the heart and soul of the southeast chapter. So, I think a spring weekend trip is in order, perhaps to the South Mountain area of North Carolina. I'm thinking in April at some point.

1.) Who's in (and what dates work the best)?

and

2.) Is anyone willing to help with logistics? We've been very good in the past about contacting local officials to make sure we being a help to local conservation and are completely on the up-and-up. I'm close to the area now, so can do some scouting ahead of time to get the lay of the land.

So, Salamania? I'm picturing mostly daytime herping (though I've admittedly not herped April in NC before) with perhaps one day locally, and one day making a ~2 hour drive up the mountains (probably west of Asheville.) Evenings may include perhaps a little cruising for gummy lizards, but I'm thinking more social aspects like sitting around the fire, sharing herp related poetry or something touchy-feely like that. (Music works too, but the chill factor at night might be bad for instrument tuning.)
Josh Holbrook

Re: 2015 Spring Trip?

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Bump - I had this as a sticky and I think it got overlooked. What say ye?
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Its too early for me to tell. I would like to go, but I won't know if I will be able to until many other things happen.
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

My parents and I might come, depending on the date.

-Ananth.
Todd McKinney

Post by Todd McKinney »

I'd be open to go
noah k.

Post by noah k. »

I'm in if my schedule permits.
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

Out of curiosity, what made you decide on the South Mountains, rather than somewhere a little further west (I don't mean to disagree with you choice, I'm sure you have a perfectly good reason)?

-Ananth.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

It's 40 mins from my house, which makes it easier for logistics and whatnot. Plus there's an endemic and/or rare species or two in the area.
BDSkinner

Post by BDSkinner »

I would definitely be interested to go, as long as I could get off work. This is pretty close for me as well but an area I've never explored. Looking on the NC park website, they have nice campsites and provide a special activity permit form. I also like the idea of looking west. A lot of small ranging species and great places to walk around. April should be the time most Plethodons get moving, a bit late for breeding Ambystoma but they may be around too. I'm all for the campfire, but rain at night would be too hard to pass up. By far the easiest way to find tons of salamanders.

-Brad
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Just be aware that it can still get really friggin cold at night in the NC mountains in April.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

umop apisdn wrote:Just be aware that it can still get really friggin cold at night in the NC mountains in April.

That's a good thing. Excuse for campfire. :thumb:
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

Sounds great! Also note that only about an hour west of there, you can find crevice salamanders and green salamanders, among other things.

-Ananth.