My 2014 Year in Review

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Calfirecap

My 2014 Year in Review

Post by Calfirecap »

Despite the drought 2014 was a good year for me, and here are a few of the highlights I'd like to share:

First Crote of the year: I found this one while I was out running with my dog way out in the sticks

Early Santa Cruz Co. Spring 'mandering' for my favorite Salamander :

In March Zach invited me out to one of his favorite Kingsnake sites where I flipped my first Kingsnake of the year:

Also in March Owen Holt, Jim Maughn and I participated in a BioBlitz for Golden Gate National Park where we were able to get the first documented sighting of a CA Red-legged frog in this particular creek:

In Early April Dave Feliz hosted a Yolo Bypass survey where many of us, including myself were able to see our first wild striped Gophersnake:
Luke and I also flipped a baby river otter that day (Lifer flip for both of us):

Later in April I was fortunate enough to attend the Tejon Ranch Survey where I got to herp with some old friends and finely get to herp with Brian Hinds, Todd Battey, and Matt Gruen, and the night before I was able to stay over at Jim Bass's place and squeeze in a little herping before dark.
As we we walking along Jim asked me what I would like to see and I told him a helleri would be nice and a lifer at that, just as I finished the sentence Jim says there's one right there...
Here's a photo session for a nice Ringneck snake that someone flipped under a rock I passed over:

After missing the Ringer I decided to step back and learn from the expert, so I quietly tailed Brian Hinds as he search for snakes. I figured I couldn't go wrong doing that, then after observing for a bit I followed his lead and pulled this rather calm Gophersnake from the bushes that everyone else had already passed up:

While Todd and Nicholas concentrate on photographing Matt's freshly found King I managed to flip one myself just a few feet from where these guys were standing, and made it look easy (Lifer Sierra Mtn King)

Not long after that we held a Spring Herp survey in the Demo Forest where we had a stellar turnout and I was fortunate enough to get to herp with new friends Tim Warfel, Mike Pennington, Marisa Ishimatsu, as well as a couple of their guests visiting from overseas:

I particularly liked how Marisa dressed for the event by painting her fingernails Ringneck snake green:
Other highlights of this survey were the first documented sightings of Red-legged frogs on the property and the first Foothill Yellow-legged frog from this creek. The Yellow legged frog was not only found by Zach, it was a lifer for him:

Not long after the survey Todd Battey was able to make it up here and he was able to get a couple of lifers as well as a few other good finds:
I think this Coastal Mtn King was a lifer for Todd: All I could hear as I flipped the board was 'Sweet!' It was after all, our target of the day.

At another site we flipped a piece of AC and Ringneck snakes started emerging from the cracks in the Earth, it was pretty cool. Unfortunately the snakes didn't want to stay still for a respectable photo.

In Early May we got a new survey going in the Bonny Doon Ecological Reserve. We didn't find all that much exciting herp wise but I thought this very fresh Mountain Lion paw print in the trail was worthy of a 2014 highlight:

Also in May I got asked a rather silly question by a Biologist I was doing some survey work with. It was something like: Would you be interested in coming out to our San Francisco Gartersnake trapping site? (Yes they have all the necessary permits)

The next week I went out herping with Zach and Luke where Zach flipped this Santa Cruz Co Record Nighsnake in my friends front yard. Again, the words "Sweet" rang out, but this time from Zach.
Later in the month I flipped this Dicamp for the second time this year, the first time was in February and under a different log about 50' away.

In early June I headed up to Tuolumne Co for a look around and pick up a few records. This Racer was seen out on the prowl:

The next photo is terrible, but It's memorable because I took about a hundred ant bites getting this Co record Sierra Alligator Lizard:

Also in June Brian Hubbs came up and schooled me on finding turtles. Here's one we found, it's not much of a photo, but it was from a new location, and I learned a lot in those couple of days:

In Late June/early July I took a trip with my wife to NV and ID and picked up a few good finds:
Lander Co NV Desert Horned Lizard, my only Horned Lizard of the year:
In Idaho I got a lifer Northern Long-toed Salamander:
A large Rubber Boa from Ada Co ID:

Also on this trip I picked up my first Alpine co CA voucher which I think was also the first Mountain Gartersnake I've seen since I was a kid:

I August I took a young herper and his father out to look for snakes and such. He was more interested in snakes so when I told him to flip this rock he did so, then put it back down saying, "just a salamander". I said "Just!", then took a look for myself and found this massive Santa Cruz Black.

In October my wife and I headed out to AZ to check out Heldorado Days in Tombstome and with all the rain they had been getting the herping was just right.
My boy Baxter not sure of what to make of this beast:
Finely one of me with a lifer 74 cm Regal Ringneck from Cochise Co AZ.

Lifer Co Desert Sidewinder from La Paz Co AZ:
At the end of January I got invited out to a newly acquired property by Mid-peninsula Open Space to go look for Red-bellied Newts. Conditions weren't ideal and we got one, but what was more impressive was the abundance of CA Newts in one pond, here's just a small sample:

Lastly I'll end with my favorite no swimming sign ever:

2014 was great herping year for me, I finely broke the 1000 voucher mark, blocked out Oregon by getting the last unvouchered county in that state, 604 NAHERRP records vouchering over 1000 individual herps, 57 total county vouchers, 8 new counties, 58 species,and 38 Co records. I also got two new surveys started which were a long time in the making. But realistically the best herping was getting to go out herping with a bunch of you guys.

Goals for next year:
Hit the 2000 voucher mark, and take another bite out of those ugly white voids on the Idaho map.

Thanks for looking.

Lawrence
Fundad

Re: My 2014 Year in Review

Post by Fundad »

:beer: :thumb:

Outstanding... :D

Congrats on another great year. :beer:

Fundad

PS Thank you again for your countless contributions to our chapter..
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

good stuff!!! look forward to getting to hit the field with ya in the coming year... :thumb: jim
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

That Regal Ring-neck is a beast!
Of all of the really cool herps one can find in Arizona, for some reason big Regals are at the top of my list of favorites.

Very nice post. :thumb:
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Thank guys, and Steve that Ringer was truly a beast. When I first saw it stretched out across the road I knew it was a Ringneck, but I was in awe as most of Diadophis I see are not much bigger than a worm.

As far as I'm concerned, if you find a Ringneck snake it's a good day.
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Lots of great shots, and familiar faces there! Those coastal zonata are just breath-taking....and I really dig the regal ringnecks as well. Thanks!
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Yes, you did have an outstanding year with many notable finds and contributions. You also got some interesting shots. Personally, I like the in situ shot of the spy-hopping Mormon Racer the best.

Hope to see you at one or the other survey later this year (maybe Tejon again?).

Robert
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Great post, Lawrence! I totally forgot about that otter--one of the strangest flips I've encountered haha!
Luke-
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Amazing year, Lawrence. Thank you so much for organizing all the surveys. I really enjoy them and feel that they do a lot for our community.

That Regal is ridiculous.

Todd ' s z looks like a beast
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Great summary of your year, Lawrence. I really enjoyed this post. A lot of herp variety, herpers, Baxter, and an otter - sweet!
That SC Black looks like a beast - nice head!

-Derek

And, as others have said, Thank You, for all that you do!
Have a great 2015, Lawrence. :beer:
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Thanks again guys.
Yes Zach, Todd's Z was a brut. It was no record breaking length, but it was healthy and stout.
Robert, Tejon Ranch is on the agenda for 2015 and I'm hoping to drag along another Nor Cal'er with me this time.