The ABC's of 2014 - A-G, UPDATED 1/6/15

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

The ABC's of 2014 - A-G, UPDATED 1/6/15

Post by brick911 »

Hey Guys,
I'm attempting to go through all my finds from 2014 and give you a sampling. This will mainly be photos. If I post too much commentary, I'll never get through this. I'm through A-C. I'll most likely piggyback updates on this thread and when I'm eventually done, I'll copy and paste it all into one for the main forum. I found more species in 2014 than any other year prior. 2015 will be slow for me to start and will not top this year, but I hope to add a few more lifers next year. I think that will be my focus. I don't spend much time here anymore as everyone has migrated to facebook, but I remember my routes, at least herp-socially speaking. :)
Bob

Acris crepitans crepitans... Northern Cricket Frog

I love the variability of cricket frogs.

ImageNorthern Cricket Frog by brick911

ImageNorthern Cricket Frog calling by brick911

Acris gryllus gryllus... Southern Cricket Frog

Somewhere I have a better picture of a different southern, but I can't seem to find it. I apologize for the lackluster photo.

ImageSouthern Cricket Frog by brick911

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen... Northern Copperhead

I succeeded in finding copperheads in three new counties for me this year. That sorta thing is always more satisfying to me than hitting old spots. But don't get me wrong - I definitely hit old spots. I ain't trying to play like I don't.

ImageNorthern Copperhead by brick911

ImageNorthern Copperhead roadcruised by brick911

Agkistrodon piscivorus piscivorus... Eastern Cottonmouth

My two older boys needed these for their lifelist. In fact, only Nate had seen one (seven). The other five in my family have it checked off now, whether they like it or not, courtesy of our family vacation to NC.

ImageEastern Cottonmouth by brick911

ImageEastern Cottonmouth by brick911

ImageEastern Cottonmouth as cruised by brick911

ImageKids with Eastern Cottonmouth by brick911

Ambystoma jeffersonianum... Jefferson Salamander

I only came across these guys once this year in an early Spring Migration. I was supposed to meet Kyle and Tom that night, but ended up having to be towed (only one of four times this year!) ...not to be deterred, I still hit our meeting spot after I was unearthed and luckily there was still a few things moving even though it had dropped to 31.

Ambystoma laterale... Blue-spotted Salamander

I LOVE blue-spots. Technically, there's no way to tell in my region whether these are pure or not, and most likely they aren't. But for a lowly herper such as myself, if they look the part, they are.

ImageBlue-spotted Salamander in Habitat by brick911

ImageBlue-spotted Salamander by brick911

Ambystoma maculatum... Spotted Salamander

A random flipping of an 8" spotted close to ten years ago is probably responsible for this portion of my life and my hardcore addiction to herps. And I still can't get enough.

ImageSpotted Salamanders by brick911

ImageSpotted Salamanders by brick911

ImageSpotted Salamander by brick911

Ambystoma opacum... Marbled Salamander

Who doesn't like Marbleds?!

ImageMarbled Salamander eggs by brick911

ImageMarbled Salamander by brick911

Ambystoma tigrinum... Tiger Salamander

I did well with tigers in December 2013. I saw one in March this year and didn't focus on any, figuring I'd target them in late 2014 again. I didn't know at the time I would decide to have my hip replaced and be sitting on the sidelines (as I type). So only one tiger for me this year. And not a large one. This will be on my radar for next year.

Anaxyrus americanus americanus... American Toad

Watching toads chase each other in a frenzy of breeding activity in Spring is what its all about. Pursuing and finding herps is fun and a great sport, but watching nature happen at your feet is a fortune I wouldn't trade in for the "coolest" herp species.

ImageAmerican Toad calling by brick911

ImageAmerican Toad by brick911

ImageAmerican Toads by brick911

ImageAmerican Toads breeding by brick911

ImageAmerican Toads by brick911

ImageAmerican Toad - STOP by brick911

Anaxyrus fowleri... Fowler's Toad

ImageFowler's Toad by brick911

ImageFowler's Toad by brick911

ImageFowler's Toad calling by brick911

ImageFowler's Toads breeding by brick911

ImageFowler's Toad eggs by brick911

Anaxyrus punctatus... Red-spotted Toad

Yup... No adults. It was dry everywhere during my trip to Vegas. Nobody told me the desert would be dry. I managed to find a small pool at the beginning of a spring, however.

ImageRed-spotted Toad tadpoles by brick911

Anaxyrus terrestris... Southern Toad

Saw a shipload of these during our vacation in NC.

ImageSouthern Toad by brick911

Aspidoscelis sexlineata sexlineata... Six-lined Racerunner

LIFER

The boys and I planned a trip to look for mole kings in Southern MD. Stepping on a bee hive and being stung multiple times, my boy Nate, just didn't have the motivation. We had to change plans and I just sorta scrapped the day and tried some laid back walking areas. As luck would have it, the day netted us this unexpected lifer for me and all three boys. *That mole king still laughs at me.

ImageSix-lined Racerunner - LIFER by brick911

Aspidoscelis tigris tigris... Great Basin Whiptail

Plenty of these out in Vegas. I regret not going for more lizards, but I've seen a dozen or so species in past trips and focused my efforts on birds in the morning and snakes at night. The lizard total suffered because of this.

ImageGreat Basin Whiptail by brick911

Carphophis amoenus amoenus... Eastern Wormsnake

Wormsnakes... underappreciated, even by me this year.

ImageEastern Wormsnake by brick911

Cemophora coccinea copei... Northern Scarletsnake

Found this guy in early May this year. My earliest ever. One of my goals next year is one in a new county. I have them in two NJ counties so far in my lifetime. I think with focused effort, I can double that number and have a devised plan for the third county in place.

ImageNorthern Scarletsnake as flipped by brick911

ImageNorthern Scarletsnake by brick911

Chelydra serpentina serpentina... Eastern Snapping Turtle

Snappers always bring a little fun to the party.

ImageCommon Snapping Turtle by brick911

ImageSnapping Turtle mating by brick911

ImageSnapping Turtle mating by brick911

Chrysemys picta picta... Eastern Painted Turtle

Painters... victims of commonality. Is there a better looking herp that people are jaded by?

ImageEastern Painted Turtle by brick911

ImageEastern Painted Turtle nesting by brick911

Clemmys guttata... Spotted Turtle

2014 marked a big step for me with search image. I got really good at spotting these guys before they spotted me.

ImageSpotted Turtle as cruised by brick911

ImageSpotted Turtle ventral by brick911

ImageSpotted Turtle by brick911

ImageSpotted Turtle by brick911

Coluber constrictor constrictor... Northern Black Racer

ImageNorthern Black Racer under rock by brick911

ImageNorthern Black Racer as flipped by brick911

ImageBlack Racer as found by brick911

ImageLily with Racer by brick911

ImageBlack Racer Eggs by brick911

ImageNorthern Black Racer by brick911

ImageNorthern Black Racer by brick911

Crotalus cerastes cerastes... Mojave Desert Sidewinder

Any snake on the road while out in Vegas area was a goal of mine. I was actually with a coworker (she was a good sport) and she got to see her first rattlesnake ever. I saw a few of these during my trip.

ImageMojave Desert Sidewinder by brick911

Crotalus horridus... Timber Rattlesnake

I added one new county to my timber finds this year. That's a success. I successfully roadcruised a few this year. That's a success. I found a canebrake individual in NC this year (along with five DOR's). That's a success. I had a great timber year!

ImageTimber Rattlesnake by brick911

ImageWes and Timber by brick911

ImageTimber Rattlesnake as cruised by brick911

ImageHalloween Phase Timber Rattlesnake by brick911

ImageCanebrake Rattlesnake by brick911

Cryptobranchus alleganiensis alleganiensis... Eastern Hellbender

Welp... I got my camera wet (and it still doesn't work correctly). So here's two cellphone shots. The kids and I found two, then moved on. I have guilt messing with this species much. But I did find them in a new area for me. :)

ImageEastern Hellbender - phone pic :( by brick911

ImageEastern Hellbender - phone pic :( by brick911

...to be continued.
NewYorkHerper16

Re: The ABC's of 2014 - A-C

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Great photography in this post! I especially LOVE the laterale in-habitat shot, what a stunner! I really look forward to seeing the rest of the alphabet! Of course all the timbers are gorgeous too, and the hellbender in-habitat is really cool too.

-Alex
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Bob, one of the things about you that I appreciate is your love for the "common" species. Painted turtles and American toads mating -- that's the stuff. I can't wait to hear the sweet trill of toads next spring!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I got my lifer racerunner in a very similar manner. It was unexpected in SC, and I was like "Oh yeah, these live down here!".
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Great stuff! For some reason Anurans always make great photo subjects, even thought they aren't my favorite herp I always end up loving pictures of them, and yours are excellent! I like your idea for the alphabetical post, it's fun and educational too! Speedy recovery and we all hope to see you in the field again next year!
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

A stunning array of herps. Great photography. Love to common species indeed. Hope to see more!
brick911

Re: The ABC's of 2014 - A-G, UPDATED 1/6/15

Post by brick911 »

Desmognathus fuscus... Northern Dusky Salamander

Always good for saving you from the Winter herping blues, however this was the first one I had ever road-cruised.

ImageNorthern Dusky Salamander by brick911

Desmognathus ochrophaeus... Allegheny Mountain Dusky Salamander

I don't find myself in their range often, but I try to see them at least once annually.

ImageAllegheny Mountain Dusky Salamander by brick911

Desmognathus orestes... Blue Ridge Dusky Salamander

Now these... I could enjoy finding more of! On a trip to Southern VA for my son Nate's birthday, we turned up a bunch of these. I was limited on time and couldn't pose everything, but here's a sampling of just how variable duskies can be down there. Who knew?

ImageBlue Ridge Dusky Salamander by brick911

Desmognathus quadramaculatus... Black-bellied Salamander

I didn't find any big guys while in VA. I definitely need to get back at some point sooner than later.

ImageBlack-bellied Salamander by brick911

Diadophis punctatus edwardsii... Northern Ring-necked Snake

Gorgeous and underappreciated. If my hands don't smell of ringneck on the way home, I did something wrong.

ImageNorthern Ring-necked Snake ventral by brick911

ImageNorthern Ring-necked Snake by brick911

ImageNorthern Ring-necked Snake by brick911

Diadophis punctatus punctatus... Southern Ring-necked Snake

Technically, we are in an intermediate area, but as a "herper" if they exhibit a broken neck ring and some belly markings, I'm calling it a Southern.

ImageSouthern Ring-necked Snake ventral by brick911

Eurycea bislineata... Northern Two-lined Salamander

I only posed a single one of these this year and it was in the middle of October outside of a hotel room. Man - I almost missed the boat.

ImageNorthern Two-lined Salamander by brick911

Eurycea longicauda longicauda... Long-tailed Salamander

There are much better looking longtails out there than this year's sampling from me. I've had better longtail years.

ImageLong-tailed Salamander by brick911

ImageLong-tailed Salamander by brick911

Eurycea wilderae... Blue-ridge Two-lined Salamander

The Blue Ridge just seems to do everything a little more brilliantly. Their version of the two-lined is just gorgeous!

ImageBlue Ridge Two-lined Salamander by brick911

ImageBlue Ridge Two-lined Salamander by brick911

ImageNate with Blue Ridge Two-lined Salamander by brick911

Farancia abacura abacura... Eastern Mudsnake

First snake of our roadcruising on our family vacation to NC. The kids were good sports for the picture, contorting their faces as horribly as possible; I assure you, we all really felt that way inside.

ImageWes and Nate with DOR Mud Snake by brick911

We would redeem ourselves a few nights later! This was our #1 goal down there and although it wasn't a big boy, my little girl loved it. She also stated that it was the worst smelling snake of her life. It may have rivaled the top spot in mine, as well.

ImageLily with Mud Snake by brick911

ImageEastern Mud Snake by brick911

ImageEastern Mud Snake by brick911

Gastrophryne carolinensis... Eastern Narrow-mouthed Toad

Family vacation, so I was a bit rushed on this shot. Next time...

ImageEastern Narrow-mouthed Toad by brick911

Glyptemys insculpta... Wood Turtle

This was an awesome year for me with wood turtles. I had a ten wood turtle day in a new county, followed by two in my home county the next weekend. I also vouched them in two different counties, totaling four counties! Before this year, I had only ever found three wood turtles, let alone adding four counties to the database. Thankyaverymuch.

ImageWood Turtle by brick911

Ok, no lie, no exaggeration. I had two of my three boys in Central PA looking for hellbenders. The water was way higher and faster than I anticipated and we weren't doing well. I saw what looked like a nice flat rock. I bend down to check it out and this wood turtle is pushed into my hands in that split second like I was a wide receiver going down to catch a low-thrown ball. I didn't see it at all. This will probably remain the luckiest herp of my entire life.

ImageZach and Wes with Wood Turtle by brick911

Graptemys geographica... Northern Map Turtle

I screwed the pooch on these this year. I like to swim out into the river and try to grab at least one for a decent shot. I saw well over 100 throughout the year as they bask in numbers by my house.

ImageNorthern Map Turtles by brick911

Gyrinophilus porphyriticus porphyriticus... Northern Spring Salamander

I found springs in three new counties this year... two that were closer to home than my previous areas. I love these guys, so I was thrilled.

ImageNorthern Spring Salamander by brick911

I flipped these two guys right next to each other. That red may have become a meal if I didn't interrupt. Regardless, their colors were pretty close, so I used the opportunity to do a face-comparison shot.

ImageNorthern Red and Northern Spring Salamander comparison by brick911

To be continued...