Any Big Plans For Next Year?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

snakemastermyke

Any Big Plans For Next Year?

Post by snakemastermyke »

My herping plans are largely dictated by work travels, and I have pitched a lot of Blue Chip Natural history to Nat Geo this winter, so hoping that pans out. But yah never know.

I am planning on taking the wife to Australia next year, as her dream is to dive the great barrier reef. Outside of the obvious Oz herping, I still want to do some U.S. runs, and likely a long overdue return to Central American ... that's all if everything goes as planned.

Anyone else making big plans for herping in 2015?

Let's hear em!
DracoRJC

Re: Any Big Plans For Next Year?

Post by DracoRJC »

First and foremost, my first trip to Arizona! Aside from extensive traveling across my home state of Texas, there aren't any other concrete travel plans - but that's what I thought last year, and that didn't last long! :beer: My friends and I have thrown around the ideas of heading to Sonora, however... We shall see!

I would say to update this thread to include everyone's target species but that list is just so long! As far as local Austin stuff, however, Texas alligator lizards top the list, followed by corals.

Ryan
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Thailand for much of January. I have big dreams, but'll be happy with a Water Monitor and a Brahminy Blind Snake. :|

JimM
snakemastermyke

JAMAUGHN wrote:Thailand for much of January. I have big dreams, but'll be happy with a Water Monitor and a Brahminy Blind Snake. :|

JimM
Thailand is high on my list! Need to get there soon!
snakemastermyke

DracoRJC wrote:First and foremost, my first trip to Arizona! Aside from extensive traveling across my home state of Texas, there aren't any other concrete travel plans - but that's what I thought last year, and that didn't last long! :beer: My friends and I have thrown around the ideas of heading to Sonora, however... We shall see!

I would say to update this thread to include everyone's target speciesism but that list is just so long! As far as local Austin stuff, however, Texas alligator lizards top the list, followed by corals.

Ryan
LOL, I've got several friends here bouncing around the idea of doing Sonora as well. Planning to do a Baja run early on in the year, but that is a species specific search likely to produce low species numbers outside of the target.

Sonora or Sinoloa would be sweet... And with in driving distance.
herpingsandiego

Post by herpingsandiego »

I might be taking a trip to AZ in april and going to Texas in June.Also might be going to Costa Rica for a month in august and just exploring so cal where I live.
snakemastermyke

herpingsandiego wrote:I might be taking a trip to AZ in april and going to Texas in June.Also might be going to Costa Rica for a month in august and just exploring so cal where I live.
Az is always fun. It didn't make my year in review post, but my first herp trip of 2014 was SE Az... A friend chased a twin spotted into some rocks, but other than that the trip was mostly just snow and cold.

...I didn't do Az much justice this year, other than a ruby road run... Will have to do more Az next year for sure.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Like Ryan, I hope to make my first Arizona visit this year. We've planned to for several years but something always gets in the way and we default to west Texas (which is not a bad thing).

There's also a tin site locally we hope to visit as soon as we get some sunny warm days - acres of tin on the ground.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Yeah Myke! I'm working on finding time to hit Ecuador sometime in April. I want to find some of the Cloud Forest species of snakes there (eyelash morphs, hognosed vipers etc) as well as all the crazy lizards and frogs they've got there (and some great birding).
South Africa again for the skate contest and heading back to visit Anton, maybe a side trip to Botswana while there?
Arizona will happen probably 4-5 times as it did this year.
Just found out we may be doing a contest in Australia for adidas in 2015, so I'm sure I'll have to secure a few extra days to do some herping down there as well. Gonna be a busy 2015 for work and herping for sure.
snakemastermyke

Rothdigga wrote:Yeah Myke! I'm working on finding time to hit Ecuador sometime in April. I want to find some of the Cloud Forest species of snakes there (eyelash morphs, hognosed vipers etc) as well as all the crazy lizards and frogs they've got there (and some great birding).
South Africa again for the skate contest and heading back to visit Anton, maybe a side trip to Botswana while there?
Just found out we may be doing a contest in Australia for adidas in 2015, so I'm sure I'll have to secure a few extra days to do some herping down there as well. Gonna be a busy 2015 for work and herping for sure.
AWESOME MAN!
Looks like you and I will be in some of the same places. It's looking 90% likely I will be back in SA this coming year as well... And Australia in October for some reef and sea snake diving (and a little land herping). When will you be in SA and Oz?
Just got word that it's highly likely I will be hitting India this year as well... so that could really add some cool prospects to the year.

Other than that, I'd like to do some Central Mexico with some friends and of course Arizona, thankfully that one is close enough it doesn't take a lot of planning.
gabrielgartner

Post by gabrielgartner »

Doing Colombia for the 1st three weeks of 2015...mostly birds, but a couple select locations specifically for snakes...leave on Christmas Day.
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I will be in Ecuador the first of January.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

My big plans for next year include sitting at my computer reading about all your awesome trips until my wife yells at me to put the kids to bed.
Chaitanya

Post by Chaitanya »

I am visiting Wayanad, Munnar and Meghamalai in Southern Western ghats(India) during monsoons. One of those is a survey site for a lost pit viper of the Western ghats. Also probably in April or May will be back in Himalayas for herping and birding after a long gap of 12 years.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

In roughly the order in which they'll be executed:

Finish my report on that Fall 2013 Herpers Survey some of y'all took (I apologize for how long it's taken, but it's a matter of working on the analysis an hour here, an hour there, etc.)

Take one last shot at finding Spring Peepers (Pseudacris crucifer) at the type locality.

Visit the Galapagos Islands with my dad (hopefully; still putting that trip together and it's contingent upon getting time off/approval).

Maybe visit Snake Road in the spring? (I've only gone in the fall).

Attend the second annual no-kill Texas Rattlesnake Festival. Word on the street is that there may be a celebrity appearance...

Look for Italian Wall Lizards (Podarcis siculus) and Green Lacertas (Lacerta viridis) in Topeka, Kansas. I've found the wall lizards in the fall, but have never tried in the spring, when there should be a greater chance of finding a green lacerta or two.

Conduct my sixth annual herpetofaunal survey of Fort Leavenworth. I just mentored my Eagle Scout hopeful this past weekend; we went out to some of the sites and replaced five boards which were deteriorating.

Attend the fourth annual Sanderson Snake Days.

After that, who knows? I'll be undertaking a Significant Life Event next year so everything after that is tentative.
mrichardson

Post by mrichardson »

All being well I'll be making my first trip to Central America in February with a trip to Nicaragua. It's mostly a mammal focused trip (including bats and rodents) but I'm hoping for plenty of reptiles and amphibians. Hopefully I'll get chance to visit a couple of European destinations as well.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

snakemastermyke wrote:
Rothdigga wrote:Yeah Myke! I'm working on finding time to hit Ecuador sometime in April. I want to find some of the Cloud Forest species of snakes there (eyelash morphs, hognosed vipers etc) as well as all the crazy lizards and frogs they've got there (and some great birding).
AWESOME MAN!
Looks like you and I will be in some of the same places. It's looking 90% likely I will be back in SA this coming year as well... And Australia in October for some reef and sea snake diving (and a little land herping). When will you be in SA and Oz?
Just got word that it's highly likely I will be hitting India this year as well... so that could really add some cool prospects to the year.

Other than that, I'd like to do some Central Mexico with some friends and of course Arizona, thankfully that one is close enough it doesn't take a lot of planning.

Myke,
SA will most likely be in early October sometime. Australia is up in the air as we haven't heard back from adidas just exactly when/if that event will be happening down there. You year sounds super good though...
frogfish

Post by frogfish »

I think I am all "traveled-out" after this year. Besides a GA trip in March, I think I will stay on the mid-atlantic coast...
snakemastermyke

Just did my first trip of the year to Baja... totally worth the long ass drive! BIPES!
Roki

Post by Roki »

Currently debating between Sarawak or Ecuador. Either one would be new to me and full of unknowns. If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them. The time frame will be August.
Roki