Peepers calling yet? LA, TX, AR.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NACairns

Peepers calling yet? LA, TX, AR.

Post by NACairns »

Hi all,
I posted a request here a couple months ago and thanks to all of you for your advice on typical peeper phenology in LA, TX and AR. Between your advice and Jeff pointing me in the direction of the NAAMP records I've been able whittle down the timing of my trip. At this point it is tentatively planned for the first two weeks of March. The scheduled route is to first travel east-west through north central Louisiana (eg. Kisatchie National Forest, Dewey W. Wills Wildlife Management Area, etc. ditches along the way) then into east Texas potentially as far west as College Station then north through Texarkana and up eastern Arkansas to the north side of the Arkansas River.

Because we (me and a lab mate) will be driving, the timing can be modified based on weather and related chorus activity. I'm hoping that you folks would be willing to give me updates as to the activity of peepers and other chorus frogs?

Also if anyone wants to join us or wouldn't mind a couple tag-a-longs we'd love to do some herping with folks who know these areas. Any advice on this area would be most welcome. There are species we'd be more excited to see but we'd be pretty keen to see anything. Please feel free to PM or email me ([email protected]).

A couple seasonal questions related to some quick side trips: Is early March too early for beach atrox? Same question for salamanders in the Ouachita Mountains?

Many thanks for your help,

Nick

For reference here is my previous post on this subject:
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=20413
Jeff

Re: Peepers calling yet? LA, TX, AR.

Post by Jeff »

Nick

No rain in the southern half of LA for two weeks, and none forecast. The northern half of LA has gotten some light showers, but probably just the sort that gets the soil damp.

Jeff
beanie

Post by beanie »

I'm not that far north, but I can give you a heads up when they are calling in the basin. They get pretty loud at Sherburne and Indian Bayou
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Thanks Jeff and Beanie, I appreciate any heads-ups/info you can send my way. Really excited to get down there and see/herp a new part of the world.
Best,
Nick
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Peepers really going around Baton Rouge as of this afternoon, with more rain coming.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Thanks Jeff, I've been looking at forecasts and worrying.