salamander migration

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MCHerper

Re: salamander migration

Post by MCHerper »

Peepers were going nuts here (Mercer County) around 7:45 pm. I checked a few pools in the area, lots of wood frogs and peepers in the pools. I did check one known spotted sal vernal later in the evening and there were quite a few spotted sals in it.
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

mercer PA?
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Mercer County, NJ
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Three laterale on the move in Bristol County, MA!
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

i was going to say mercer is only a few hours drive from where im at
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Spotteds, Wood Frogs and Peepers were moving in force last night in Hunterdon County, NJ
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Just arrived in CT visiting parents. Turned up 40 or so spotteds, tenish scuatum, woods, peepers and redbacks in new London county. Good times in New England!
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Blue-spotteds from Thursday night:

ImageDSCN0901_00 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0909_00 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Mike got this photo of me filming one swimming in the melt on top of the ice:

ImageDSCN0911_00 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We flipped this beauty under a small log yesterday morning at our local spot for them. The nearby vernal didn't appear to have had any action; we didn't check the larger vernal as we were just passing through:

ImageDSCN0917 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

I saw a video of a very large wood frog chorus from Long Island taken on Sunday. Looks like things are finally getting underway! Does anybody know for how long wood frogs will be in full on breeding mode? I know they are pretty explosive and quick breeders, but if their initial "explosion" of breeding occured on Sunday is it still possible to observe a number of them in the vernals for the next few days? Im hoping to get out to the vernals towards the end of the week, and while seeing egg masses would be nice it would be even more exciting to see the calling males. I seem to be too late almost every year lol, and only end up seeing a couple of loners hopping through the woods after breeding.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Last Friday night saw a little bit of movement (Bristol County, MA):

ImageDSCN0986 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0959 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0956 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0949 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0942 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Some parts of the South Coast and Western MA have seen a mass migration already. There might be more movement during the next few days, since it will be raining. It's starting!
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

NewYorkHerper16 wrote:I saw a video of a very large wood frog chorus from Long Island taken on Sunday. Looks like things are finally getting underway! Does anybody know for how long wood frogs will be in full on breeding mode? I know they are pretty explosive and quick breeders, but if their initial "explosion" of breeding occured on Sunday is it still possible to observe a number of them in the vernals for the next few days? Im hoping to get out to the vernals towards the end of the week, and while seeing egg masses would be nice it would be even more exciting to see the calling males. I seem to be too late almost every year lol, and only end up seeing a couple of loners hopping through the woods after breeding.
My experience has been that the wood frogs will hang out in the pools for about 2 weeks, give or take a few days. Our big push was on March 26th. Last Saturday (the 4th) I was still hearing them in a nearby vernal. I stopped by two vernals yesterday and saw some egg masses but no wood frogs, however tonight we are expecting some rain and I think it might stir the last of the wood frog breeding activity for our area.
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Thanks MCHerper! I went out on Monday and the wood frogs were still in full-on breeding mode. I'm so bad with timing my early spring amphibian outings, so I'm glad I got lucky this time!