My curse is over!!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

InfantryVeteran

My curse is over!!

Post by InfantryVeteran »

It happened. It finally happened. After 6 months living in Brevard County I have finally found a LIVE venomous snake! Yes, others have found venomous snakes here, but this is my first and it also happens to be a Lifer!!

Today started out like any other. I spent a good portion of the day on a roof sealing holes to prevent an incursion of rats and was quite tired by the time I got off of work. My wife had previously agreed to help our mutual friends pack up to move so after changing clothes I realized I'd have some time to do some herping. I went to an area I've frequented, but hadn't found much besides Ringnecks, Garters, and Corns. I haven't found much out there before, but there is a lot of junk piles scattered throughout to flip and I have found a DOR Florida Brown Snake and a Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake- both of which would have been lifers. I digress.
I drove around flipping many items and only managed to flip a single Ringneck which I lost in the grass. Frustrated I decided it was time to go home. I drove by a pull off I've seen many times, but failed to explore and decided today was a good enough day to check it out. I walked around for a while and noticed that this was clearly an area that people liked to us target practice. There were tons of boxes and boards with many holes in them scattered throughout the area. Image

As I was walking back to the truck, I looked down and noticed something out of place. And there it was!!! The most incredibly gorgeous lifer I've seen in my life thus far!!

Image Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake

Dusky Pygmies are a dime a dozen for many of you, but this is one lifer I will never forget.

Here is my other lifer from the past few weeks. Florida Brown Snake
mtratcliffe

Re: My curse is over!!

Post by mtratcliffe »

Congrats! The Dusky Pygmy is also my only venomous snake sighting in FL. I've found a dead EDB but I seem to be cursed with finding venomous snakes otherwise.

You'll have to check out that site again - looks like it could also be EDB habitat.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Congrats! When I was first getting started in the road cruising game, some 15 years ago, a dusky pygmy was the first venomous snake that I ever cruised, so they also hold a special place in my heart. That does look like a great area. Keep checking it!

~Bree
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I'm happy for you! :thumb:

Some people seem to find lots of some things and hardly any of another. While I have seen my fair share of pygmies, I've only seen a couple of brown snakes, and none this year so I'm most envious of that one. Plus, I haven't seen too many ringers either. Have any pictures of them?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

My favorite type of post: Took us along with you and communicated the "tension" of the hunt.
:thumb:

Good looking road. Don't forget to hit the junk piles in Jan or Feb on days when it drops to 50s and low 60s.
InfantryVeteran

Post by InfantryVeteran »

captainjack0000 wrote:I'm happy for you! :thumb:

Some people seem to find lots of some things and hardly any of another. While I have seen my fair share of pygmies, I've only seen a couple of brown snakes, and none this year so I'm most envious of that one. Plus, I haven't seen too many ringers either. Have any pictures of them?

I have lots!

Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Great pictures! I must not flip enough rocks or be in the right habitat for ringers. Perhaps they're just too small and I don't notice them.... :(
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Sweet!!!! Congrats on those lifers, both are very cool in their own unique way! :D
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

My favorite type of post: Took us along with you and communicated the "tension" of the hunt.
Ditto that.
Congratulations on your beautiful lifer!
I like your ringneck photos. I find them devilishly difficult to get good pictures of. Tips/hints welcomed (for photoing ringers, not finding them).
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Tips/hints welcomed (for photoing ringers, not finding them).
I'll take tips & hints for finding them :D
PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim »

Well done man. Persistence pays off often enough be persistent.
captainjack0000 wrote:
Tips/hints welcomed (for photoing ringers, not finding them).
I'll take tips & hints for finding them :D
Throw a bag of mulch out beside your house. A month later flip it in the Fall or Winter. You don't have to open it or anything. It's worked for me on a few occasions.
FloridaSerpent

Post by FloridaSerpent »

I felt the same way when I walked up on my first venomous, a cottonmouth about a month ago. It was something I'll never forget. Great post. Short and sweet. ;)
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

The first time I encountered a venomous down here I was shaking with so much excitement I couldn't take a picture. I had cruised up on a decent sized cottonmouth after some afternoon rain. What a rush!