Question: Travelling and herping in Columbia

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

withalligators

Question: Travelling and herping in Columbia

Post by withalligators »

Good or bad idea?
I hear it's pretty safe now, but I like to travel on the cheap and really get into the bush. Anyone have any experience here?

Better question, does anyone know anyone doing any research there or otherwise living in Columbia?

Cheers,
Alex

chrish

Re: Question: Travelling and herping in Columbia

Post by chrish »

First suggestion, Columbia is a city in South Carolina, Maryland, Tennessee or Missouri.
Colombia is a country in South America. :lol:

DanW

Post by DanW »

Howdy,

Will be able to provide better details in February 2015 from my trip. From my research if you want to do it on the cheap, Leticia seems like the place to go.

I'm flying into Mitu in early January, about $300-350 round trip from BOG. Due to security issues and lack of vehicles Mitu is not particularly cheap and getting around isn't easy. You need guides at all points in time to access the indigenous land and to try and stay safe. Currently working on arranging night herping by camping in the indigenous communities to access their land at night. I'll see how this works out.

I will also be traveling Northern Colombia, which has cheap lodging and transport options. Seems like there is the ability to get off the beaten path in Sierra Nevada NP depending on your herping targets.

Maybe you should look into going into the Darien in Panama.

Dan

withalligators

Post by withalligators »

I have family in Bogota, plus, I haven't been to SA in a while, so I would like to get there. So far, I've been eyeballing Sierra Nevada and Tayrona, but I'll probably end up winging it somewhat. Been reading about Leticia since you brought it up, and will probably try to get there. I'll update as I go.
Cheers,
Alex

yoloherper

Post by yoloherper »

A close friend who is a very experienced birder and ornithologist, just left for Colombia a few days ago for 5 months. He's spent a great deal of time birding and doing research in other parts of SA, but this is his first trip to Colombia because he's never felt it was safe enough until now. From talking to him, I got the idea that it was a lot safer than it has been in the recent past. He will be traveling alone (without a guide) on an extremely cheap budget and will probably backpack into fairly remote national parks, but felt pretty good about the areas he was going. I wish I had seen your post before he left and could have got some more information out of him, but I don't think I'll hear from until he's back in the states in March.
Good luck and I hope that helped,
-Elliot

withalligators

Post by withalligators »

Wow, I just realized I've been spelling the country wrong, for my entire life. How delightfully embarrassing.

The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

This may or may not help you, but in 2013 I believe, a photographer (Robin Moore) went to Colombia to look for Mesopotamia beaked toads that hadn't been seen in 100 years. He was unsuccessful, but his account may have some information, and there is a chapter devoted to his trip in his new book In Search of Lost Frogs. I haven't read it yet, though, so I can't really contribute much else.

-Gene

Muchobirdnerd

Post by Muchobirdnerd »

I would recommend getting a local guide that knows the country. I know plenty of people that have had a great time and no problems and I know friends of friends that had their hotel doors kicked in. Like any travel learn as much as you can about the areas you want to travel to and make local contacts that you can trust. I know everyone says that it's way safer which it is but things still happen like this.

http://news.yahoo.com/farc-attack-islan ... 54927.html

Muchobirdnerd

Post by Muchobirdnerd »

Also a good place to start is contacting Fundacion ProAves. They are an organization that protects birds but they should be able to hook you up with good people.