Six-lined racerunners and racers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

FloridaSerpent

Six-lined racerunners and racers

Post by FloridaSerpent »

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone on here has a specific method or tips on how to catch these fast reptiles for a quick look/catch and release photo session? I see them all the time but fail miserably to catch them for a closer look. If you have success with either of these guys and would like to help please do. Thanks :)
NewYorkHerper16

Re: Six-lined racerunners and racers

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

It can be pretty frustrating to run after the racers, so the best method is probably to go out on a colder morning and flip rocks, tin, and other cover. On a cool morning they should be on the slower side, especially if you catch them off guard. Where i'm from, the racers seem to get a lot bigger than the ones i've seen in Florida, so they're a little easier to get a hold of.

A fun method to catch the racerunners is to make a lizard noose. Ive used a thin fishing pole with a small noose at the end made of dental floss/fishing line to catch them. Go VERY slowly and quietly, and noose the lizard. The important thing is to pull up the noose slowly so you don't injure the lizard. This is a really effective method that i have used for anoles, Hemidactylus geckos, and skinks. I see no reason why it couldn't work for racerunners too.

Oh, and the best way to photograph skittish racers and lizards is to get a piece of bark or something and let them hide underneath for a few minutes to calm down. This is especially useful for snakes, after a few minutes they'll be coiled up in a nice position and usually stay in that position for enough time for you to take the pictures.

Good luck and go get 'em!

-Alex
FloridaSerpent

Post by FloridaSerpent »

Thanks man. Really helpful.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

If you catch them by hand make your hand flat and soft. You are in essence Stopping them and then you can take the time to flex and negotiate your palm and fingers around them securely. When you get good the worse thing that happens is the lizards, slip out intact and fully tailed. The best thing that happens is timing and flat catch gets tuned so that you can get a lizard at any angle and surface you are physically able to tap your palm. Or more accurately, the Underside of your palm and fingers.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

The racerunners in Florida I have noticed sometimes will come back to their basking/hunting areas if you sit still long enough. After first scaring it away, I've had pretty good luck as far as pictures go by just sitting and waiting for it to come back.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

captainjack0000 wrote:The racerunners in Florida I have noticed sometimes will come back to their basking/hunting areas if you sit still long enough. After first scaring it away, I've had pretty good luck as far as pictures go by just sitting and waiting for it to come back.

And then, there's the A+ style of doing it. As above.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You guys when I lived in Florida I was going through a tough time. I would sit on my porch and think and think. Little by little anoles would appear closer they braved the steps to bask until I was surrounded by small green stretched out individuals. And I was very happy
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

For catching racerunners definitely try lizard fishing.

You need:

A fishing pole/rod
Thread
a very-fine mesh net- butterfly nets work best
Mealworms

Tie a mealworm to about a yard of thread and tie the opposite end to the tip of the fishing rod. Dangle the mealworm near the lizard. When the lizard grabs it, pull it up and swing it gently into the net. If the lizard is too big or lets go repeatedly, lure it into the net itself using the mealworm.

This technique works great for skinks and other lizards that aren't easily noosed because of their lack of a "neck", and is also very low-stress for the lizard too.
FloridaSerpent

Post by FloridaSerpent »

Thanks guys, will post pictures if I succeed
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

There is a great method of catching racers and coachwhips I learned from Roger Conant's field guide. It took years for me to get enough courage to try it. It works well. Just be gentle but firm. It will let you get your hands on them but won't help with pictures.

1. Grab the racer by the back third of the body. Usually you're on a dead run after it. Don't forget to lead it. Try not to get the tail.

2. Flip the racer back between your legs.

3. Pin the racer between your legs.

4. Use one hand to reel the racer in, pulling it through the other hand. Be slow and gentle. Racers are pretty fragile snakes compared to a rat snake or constrictor.

5. When you get to the head and neck you've got it.

***Don't try this method with shorts. The racer will bite your legs and hindquarters producing a lot of shallow, bloody teeth marks.***
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Bryan Hamilton wrote:
***Don't try this method with shorts. The racer will bite your legs and hindquarters producing a lot of shallow, bloody teeth marks.***
You kidding? The bites are half the fun :lol:. I'm not one of those people that enjoys pain, but a racer or coachwhip isn't a racer or coachwhip without the proof on your body after you let it go haha.
justinm

Post by justinm »

For me it's early morning or don't bother. My boys a few weeks ago learned this the hard way, diving on them (attempting to) and getting cactus spines for the effort. Early morning you can photo them en situ and noose or net them easily enough if you need to hold one.
FloridaSerpent

Post by FloridaSerpent »

simus343- Yeah, I'm not worried about getting bit. I don't mind, nippy snakes unless it's venomous which I don't handle anyway because at the moment I'm not experienced enough.

NewYorkHerper16- Yeah I'm starting to think this might be the best time to try since they'll probably be slower before warming up.