Aussie herps in habitat

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

speedy

Aussie herps in habitat

Post by speedy »

When I go out looking for reptiles I like to get atleast three shots of anything I find. A profile, full body and in its habitat. The in habitat shot I have found to be the most challenging but also the most enjoyable so I thought I would put a post together to show some of the recent shots.

A large Olive Python (Liasis olivaseus) basking. This was a big fella a little over the three meter (9ft) mark.
ImageOlive Python at Sunset by R. Francis, on Flickr

A Zig Zag Gecko (Amalosia rhombifer) in hunting position on a full moon.
ImageZigzag Velvet Gecko hunting on a full moon by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Burtons Legless Lizard (Lialis burtonis).
ImageBurtons Legless Lizard under the Supermoon by R. Francis, on Flickr

Another Olive Python (Liasis olivaceus). They are primarily nocturnal unless the have a big meal to digest.
ImageOlive Python enjoying the Sunset by R. Francis, on Flickr

A Eastern Pygmy Mulga Snake (Pseudechis pailsei), an endemic elapid from north west Queensland.
ImageEastern Pygmy Mulga Snake in habitat by R. Francis, on Flickr

A Bar Shouldered Ctenotus (Ctenotus inornatus), they have recently undergone a taxonomic revision. This was previously Ctenotus saxatilis, I'm not to sure I fully agree with the revision.
ImageBar-Shouldered Ctenotus in Habitat by R. Francis, on Flickr

An undescribed Dragon (Diporiphora sp.) from North west Queensland. Found in spinifex along sandy creeks, they enjoy perching on high points.
ImageDiporiphora sp. in habitat by R. Francis, on Flickr

Another Olive Python, they are quite photogenic for a plain looking snake.
ImageOlive python in habitat. by R. Francis, on Flickr

A Storr's Monitor (Varanus storri), They are a very small monitor with a TL of only around 40cm.
ImageStorr's Monitor in habitat by R. Francis, on Flickr

Freshy or Freshwater Crocodile (Crocodylus johnstoni). They often bask on top of the weed beds.
ImageFreshie catching the morning sun by R. Francis, on Flickr

Robust Dtella (Gehyra robusta), an endemic gecko to the rocky ranges of North west Queensland.
ImageRobust Dtella by R. Francis, on Flickr

A Sombre Whipsnake (Demansia quesitor), should be called a hot headed whipsnake.
ImageSombre Whipsnake by R. Francis, on Flickr

Gilberts Dragon (Lophognathus gilbert), often found around water courses in Northern Australia.
ImageGilbert's Dragon by R. Francis, on Flickr

Unbanded Shovel-nose Snake (Brachyurophis incinctus).
ImageUnbanded Shovel-nosed Snake in habitat. by R. Francis, on Flickr

Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Saltuarius swaini), usually arboreal but we found quite a few on the ground on this night.
ImageSouthern Leaf-tailed Gecko in habitat by R. Francis, on Flickr

Frilly (Chlamydosaurus kingie)
ImageFrilled-neck Lizard by R. Francis, on Flickr

Hosmers Skink (Egernia hosmeri)
ImageHosmers Skink by R. Francis, on Flickr

Worrels Turtle (Emydura subglobosa worrelli)
ImageWorrells Turtle by R. Francis, on Flickr

Eastern Bearded Dragon (Pogona barbata)
ImageEastern Bearded Dragon by R. Francis, on Flickr

Ridge-tailed Monitor (Varanus acanthurus)
ImageRidge-tailed Monitor by R. Francis, on Flickr
Kfen

Re: Aussie herps in habitat

Post by Kfen »

I too enjoy the herps in habitat shots the most. You have some very eye pleasing photos there! I have recently been dreaming about going to Australia so this post was doubly exciting for me. Thanks
chrish

Post by chrish »

Outstanding, top to bottom.

I would love to know how you shot a couple of the starlight/moonlight shots (the burton's is really cool!). Any chance of a "How I got this shot" exposé on the image lab?

I'm headed to Queensland in December. This post really has me salivating!
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Great post! In-habitat shots are my favorite kind of photography too. Im really glad Bethany Avilla started a whole dedicated group to that on Flickr!
Youve definitely mastered "the art" of in-habitat photography, i especially like the ones with the night sky in the background.

-Alex
Tim Leerschool

Post by Tim Leerschool »

Enjoyed every photo! Very impressive and a great inspiration for ideas about in/situ photography (which is, I think, the hardest to try and capture in a good way).

With kind regards,

Tim
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

Indeed these are a very pleasing type of photo layout. I had no idea the burton's lizard was from that type of habitat. I envisioned more of a tropical forest.

Ian
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

I agree with everyone else -- these are all fantastic photos. I'm curious whether any of them other than the freshie are actually in situ.

John
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Your wild angle habitat shots are truly fabulous. You put a great perspective into your photos!
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Very nice post, I always love Australian herping posts because they remind me of the time I was able to spend over there. I absolutely loved herping the mountains around the A.C.T. and around Gove, N.T.

Your undescribed dragon looks like a Diporiphora winneckei according to the field guide Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan, but the range map does not coincide with being in NW Queensland, just SW Queensland. Is there any possibility that it may not yet be officially known to be the same species with an extended range for whatever reason, such as a gravid female hitching a ride on a vehicle? Or maybe just slow natural spread of population size? I have noticed that some range maps for North American herps only hold up for oh so many years before an update in undoubtedly required.

Another similar appearing dragon is the females of Amphibolurus gilberti (it appears the taxonomy of my guide is out-of-date? - published in 2003) -- that is again going off of the only available picture of what is in the previously mentioned field guide, not to mention your Diporiphora has a white stripe behind the eye it seems, and the Amphibolurus gilberti does not. As far as body pattern, white stripe aside, the females of Amphibolurus gilberti look similar, according to my only field guide for Aussie herps :?.

Any how yes, very nice post and makes me want to move back to Australia when I finish getting, at the very least, my Masters degree. Love the wildlife and the large extent of wildlife protection laws and public education efforts.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Mmmm! In-habitat shots are THE BEST! I enjoy seeing all of yours on Flickr ;)
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Super pics! I can appreciate the work you put behind them. Great post man, Australia definately on my list someday!
speedy

Post by speedy »

Thanks all.

Simus, the Diporiphora does look a little like D. winneckei however it keys out very different. It is also similar to the newly described D. ameliae. There is still a lot of work to be done on Diporiphora, they will end up like a few of our skink genera (Ctenotus is the main one) with different species for each small change in geography/habitat. Also its not a hitch hiker, i have 4 locations within 150km where I find them. I could probably find a lot more as well as they are quite habitat specific.

Ribbit, Only three shots are in situ. The Freshie, Eastern Beardie and the Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko. It is pretty rare that you will find an animal in a position that best shows the animal and its habitat without some manipulation.

Ian, Burtons Legless Lizard are Australia's most widespread reptile. Name a habitat and you will most likely find them, they would also be the most frequently seen animal in this area when road cruising.

Chris, I would like to keep that technique to myself. Its not hard but it has taken me a few years of trial and error to finally start to get somewhere with it. I dont feel like giving up that hard work just yet.

One more.

ImageCommon Tree Snake by R. Francis, on Flickr

Cheers

Ryan
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

speedy wrote:Ribbit, Only three shots are in situ. The Freshie, Eastern Beardie and the Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko. It is pretty rare that you will find an animal in a position that best shows the animal and its habitat without some manipulation.
I was thinking that the Beardie might be, only because I've seen a couple in similar positions. It makes that photo all the more special. That leaf-tailed gecko photo, in situ, at night, is particularly remarkable!

John
speedy

Post by speedy »

It has been quite a while since this thread and I thought I would bring it up to date with some new shots. These shots have been taken over the last 8 months. The more and more I do wide angle shots the more I feel I am improving, I am quite proud of some of the shots I have taken lately. Pity it is winter here and I am not finding much. Sorry this is a long post with lots of photos.

A Death Adder (Acanthophis rugosus) from the Selwyn Range in North-west Queensland
ImageRough-scaled Death Adder in habitat by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Ring-tailed Dragon (Ctenophorus caudicinctus) in Lawn Gill Gorge, Boodjumulla National Park. An amazing place where these dragons are quite the showoffs and very used to humans.
ImageRing-tailed Dragon by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Gibber Earless Dragon (Tympanocryptis intima) from the desolate gibber of Western QLD.
ImageGibber Earless Dragon in habitat by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A favourite photo and subject, Hosmers Skink (Egernia hosmeri).
ImageHosmers Skink in Habitat by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

Centralian Blue-tongue Lizard (Tiliqua multifasciata) from the channel country of Western Queensland.
ImageCentralian Blue Tongue by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

White's Skink (Liopholis whitii) from the Granite Belt in South-east QLD.
ImageWhite's Skink by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

An Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii) from Dorrigo National Park, NSW.
ImageEastern Water Skink in Habitat by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A great looking Marsh Snake (Hemiapsis signata) in Dorrigo National Park from near my home town. I saw a lot of these snakes as a kid and took them for granted, often called Copperheads
by the locals.
ImageMarsh Snake by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Northern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Saltuarius cornutus) from the Atherton Tablelands in Northern QLD.
ImageNorthern Leaf-tail Gecko in-situ by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Centralian Tree Dragon (Amphibolorous centralis) from near Mount Isa, QLD. There are currently very few records of these from QLD, they are about though.
ImageCentralian Tree Dragon by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

Probably one of my favourites, A shot that I have been planning for a long time. I just had to wait for the right conditions. A Giant Frog (Cyclorana australis) waiting for the rains.
ImageGiant frog in ts element by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Shingleback (Tiliqua rugosa) from just north of Adelaide in South Australia.
ImageShingleback by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Painted Dragon (Ctenophorus pictus) from the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia. He had quite the view over the southern ocean.
ImagePainted Dragon in Habitat by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

An olive Python (Liasis olivaceus) that was in ambush, waiting for a wallaby or young kangaroo to have a drink. It was here three nights in a row often with just its nostrils out of the water. One night we scared a Purple-necked Rock-wallaby which was only a few meters from the python. We never interfered with the python so i'm not sure how big it was exactly, but I would estimate it at well over 3 meters.
ImageOlive Python in Ambush by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A juvenile Central Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps) from south of Mount Isa.
ImageJuvenile Central Bearded Dragon by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Ring-tailed Dragon (stenophorus caudicinctus) from near Mount Isa. A common little dragon around rocky outcrops.
ImageRing-tailed Dragon in-habitat by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Stripe-head Ctenotus (Ctenotus striaticeps) from near Mount Isa. It has taken years for me to find one of these, then as usual I found three in a couple of weeks.
ImageStripe-headed Ctenotus in-habitat by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Juvenile Gilberts Dragon (Lophognathus gilberti), There are a lot of these getting arounf north-west Queensland at the moment.
ImageJuvenile Gilberts Dragon by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

A Centralian Blue-tongue Lizard (Tiliqua multifasciata) from near Mount Isa. A different method to normal using a slightly larger focal length and a different lens, it lets the animal fill more of the frame though.
ImageCentralian Blue-tongue Lizard by Ryan Francis, on Flickr

The most recent in-habitat shot, Ctenotus robustus are quite common on the east coast of Australia. This one is from my in-laws property on the Darling Downs of QLD. My wife and I will be managing the property for the next year, hopefully with plenty of time chasing herps.
ImageEastern Striped Skink by Ryan Francis, on Flickr
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Great post, that frog with the lightning storm shot just blew me away, its epic! Amazing photography, glad you posted this I missed alot of these when you posted them on flickr.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

These are amazing pictures. I'm curious to know how you did it? I have a decently fast 40mm prime I never really play with, but this thread has me curious to know if I could do something similar with things here in Florida.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Thanks fellas. Captain Jack, most are taken with a canon 16-35mm F2.8. Usually around the 16mm end. You want to use something as wide as possible as depth of field increases.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

WOW! you have perfected the herps-in-habitat shots, even background lightning-bolts in the frog pictures, simply amazing :beer:
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

These are all really great photos. Thanks for posting more of them!

John
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Fill Flash. It's what's makes the difference between a good photo and an interesting photo. Thanks for showing these!
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

speedy wrote: Sorry this is a long post with lots of photos.
Yes, indeed. And to make up for it, Ryan, your punishment shall be to continue posting these shots! :)

I REALLY enjoyed your posts. I can't even try to pick a picture that I liked the most, they were all really good. The little caudicinctus and your favorite photo of the hosmeri were quite nice.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more!
--Berkeley