advice on Borneo itinerary

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jimoo742

advice on Borneo itinerary

Post by jimoo742 »

Hi all, I'm heading to Borneo in late November. I'm soliciting (I'm not sure if this is the right forum) advice on my general itinerary. Any feedback would be appreciated. I don't have any solid targets as I've learned to be super opportunistic about these things, and since everything is a lifer, that makes it all the better.

I plan on arriving late Thursday 11/27 and leave on Friday, 12/12

My tentative plan is:

Friday, Nov 28 Recover day / Orangatang feeding?
Sat, Nov 29 Travel to Bako - Bako 1st night
Sat, 11/29 Bako 2nd night
Sun, 11/30 Bako 3rd night
Mon, 12/1 Bako - return to Kuching, stay in Kuching
Tue, 12/2 Travel to Miri - Miri Pinnacles 1st night
Wed, 12/3 Miri Pinnacles 2nd night
Thu, 12/4 Return to Miri and stay there 1 night
Fri, 12/5 Lambir Hills 1st night
Sat, 12/6 Return to Miri after Lambir Hills / Stay in Miri or head back to Kuching?
Sun, 12/7 Miri to Kuching and/or rest day
Mon, 12/8 Kuching rest day / day trip – stay in Kuching
Tue, 12/9 Travel to Kubah - Kubah 1st night
Wed, 12/10 Kubah 2nd night
Thur, 12/11 Return to Kuching from Kubah (stay in Kuching)
Fri, 12/12 Leave Kuching

If I should cut down on anything, or add anything, please let me know. If there isn't anything to see in Miri itself I could perhaps skip those "stay in Miri" days?

I hadn't planned on renting a car. I try to avoid that when traveling, but if it is a good idea to do so for a day or two to see something particular, please let me know.

There isn't anything particular, species wise I "must" see, I've learned to be pretty opportunistic. Orchids and snakes are always high on the list, and funky frogs, lizards and mammals are always nice too.

Again, thanks in advance.
Ruxs

Re: advice on Borneo itinerary

Post by Ruxs »

Less time in Bako, more time in Kubah. Bako is hot, way too hot, and too many tourists on the trails, plus it doesn't even have any lovely streams or waterfalls - Kubah has the perfect balance in my opinion, plus I found two of the most amazing finds there in just two nights in Kubah this summer. I'd say possibly switch your Bako time with the Kubah time, since relaxing on the beach wouldn't be too bad on your last couple nights right?
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

I assume with "Miri Pinnacles" you mean "Mulu Pinnacles"? If so, (a) are you fit enough for that trip?; (b) have you organized the Pinnacles trip already? I fear that's one of the walks in Mulu you can't start on the day you arrive if you haven't booked it up front. I might be wrong, but better make sure.

Also, Mulu is much more than the Pinnacles, and if you want to see any wildlife AND photograph it, skip the pinnacles and do everything else there instead (just hit the lowland trails, never mind the caves). the Pinnacles trip is very demanding and won't leave you much time for herping or photography.

Also, since you're there already, stay a second night in Lambir. Despite its small size, it's one of the best forests in Borneo - almost nine hundred tree species on less than two square kilometers.

Cheers!

Hans
PS: I'd invite you to come herping with me here in Kuching, but unfortunately I'll be at the in-laws' in Taipei at the time :-(
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Ruxs wrote:Less time in Bako, more time in Kubah. Bako is hot, way too hot, and too many tourists on the trails, plus it doesn't even have any lovely streams or waterfalls - Kubah has the perfect balance in my opinion, plus I found two of the most amazing finds there in just two nights in Kubah this summer. I'd say possibly switch your Bako time with the Kubah time, since relaxing on the beach wouldn't be too bad on your last couple nights right?

Thank you! Eh, beaches don't appeal to me at all (unless there are turtles nesting or great tide pools). I can't sit on a beach for more than 10 minutes.
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:I assume with "Miri Pinnacles" you mean "Mulu Pinnacles"? If so, (a) are you fit enough for that trip?; (b) have you organized the Pinnacles trip already? I fear that's one of the walks in Mulu you can't start on the day you arrive if you haven't booked it up front. I might be wrong, but better make sure.

Also, Mulu is much more than the Pinnacles, and if you want to see any wildlife AND photograph it, skip the pinnacles and do everything else there instead (just hit the lowland trails, never mind the caves). the Pinnacles trip is very demanding and won't leave you much time for herping or photography.

Also, since you're there already, stay a second night in Lambir. Despite its small size, it's one of the best forests in Borneo - almost nine hundred tree species on less than two square kilometers.

Cheers!

Hans
PS: I'd invite you to come herping with me here in Kuching, but unfortunately I'll be at the in-laws' in Taipei at the time :-(
Thanks, Hans. Yes, Mulu Pinnacles, but I really meant the park. I don't need to conquer the pinnacles, some photos would be good. I was trying to reference the name of the park.

I was hoping we'd meet, but oh well, maybe another time!

Edited:
Friday, Nov 28 Recover day / Orangutan feeding?
Sun, 11/30 Bako - return to Kuching, stay in Kuching or head to Kubah early
Mon, 12/1 Travel to Kubah - Kubah 1st night
Tue, 12/2 Kubah 2nd night
Wed, 12/3 Kubah 3rd night
Thu, 12/4 Return to Kuching – stay in Kuching
Fri, 12/5 Travel to Miri – Lambir Hills 1st night
Sat, 12/6 Lambir Hills 2nd night
Sun, 12/7 Travel to Mulu – Mulu Park 1st night
Mon, 12/8 Mulu Park 2nd night
Tue, 12/9 Travel to Kuching
Wed, 12/10 Flex Day
Thur, 12/11 Flex Day
Fri, 12/12 Leave Kuching

If there are any sights or other things I must try (I am curious about this durian thing you have, Hans), please let me know!!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

jimoo742 wrote: Friday, Nov 28 Recover day / Orangutan feeding?
Sun, 11/30 Bako - return to Kuching, stay in Kuching or head to Kubah early
Mon, 12/1 Travel to Kubah - Kubah 1st night
Tue, 12/2 Kubah 2nd night
Wed, 12/3 Kubah 3rd night
Thu, 12/4 Return to Kuching – stay in Kuching
Fri, 12/5 Travel to Miri – Lambir Hills 1st night
Sat, 12/6 Lambir Hills 2nd night
Sun, 12/7 Travel to Mulu – Mulu Park 1st night
Mon, 12/8 Mulu Park 2nd night
Tue, 12/9 Travel to Kuching
Wed, 12/10 Flex Day
Thur, 12/11 Flex Day
Fri, 12/12 Leave Kuching

If there are any sights or other things I must try (I am curious about this durian thing you have, Hans), please let me know!!
Looks good now! :-) But if I were you, I'd try to scrap the two "flex days", if possible at all, and use them in Mulu. Seriously, that's one place you can spend WEEKS exploring. Insane everything: bird fauna, phasmids, reptiles, frogs ...on an island not lacking in natural history superlatives, Mulu tops it all.

Durians - don't get me started, man..... Oh well, now you gone and done it :-) Well, you'll be there in mid-durian season, and I can only advise you to eat as many as you can. As opposed to Thailand or West Malaysia, where they're farmed with industrial methods, here in Borneo every durian tastes different from the next, because they're all semi-wild. Also try to find "durian isu" (Durio oxleyanus) or any other truly wild species - they're a completely different experience, as they have less odor and taste very different - less sweet, more nutty.
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Ha, thank you. I will have to re-configure it a little then, since there are mulu to kuching flights only a few days of the week.

Now I just need some dumb luck and have a tarsir pose for me :)

I've re-done the itinerary it for 2 nights Bako, 3 Kubah, 4 Mulu, 2 Lambir

And I can probably go back to Kubah for another day on the end if I'd like too as it seems easy to get to from Kuching