Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

The Real Snake Man

Summer Herping in the RGV: Part 3 – Road Cruising

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Here are the links to the first two posts:
Part 1: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=20175
Part 2: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=20238

Road cruising this summer was much more fun for the company than for the finds. Truth be told, road cruising the Valley (especially when it is so dry) can be incredibly slow. I never got skunked (thank goodness) but there were many one-or two-snake nights, and considering the hours spent, that can really feel like a pathetic count. All in all I went on only eight cruises this summer, though, so maybe I just didn’t spend enough time out to see more. I’ve already described to you two of my cruising trips in the first part of my series, so I won’t recount those. Other than that, there really isn’t much of a tale to tell. You all know how it is:

Tired and frustrated, you scan the road for serpents, for a sign of a snake, for hour after hour after hour. Even the moon’s gone down. Stars above and impenetrable brush country on either side of you, your mind starts to dream about the one that’s eluded you for years, the one that’s got you out here in the first place. You have a strong desire to loop around and check every little stick and piece of rubber protruding from the grass onto the shoulder of the road. You curse every last vehicle you see on the road, fearing they’ll kill all those snakes on the road just ahead of you. You mutter desperate, petty prayers to God and wonder if the Devil would be more likely to listen, more likely to deliver ANY kind of snake into your hands. You’re lucky if you have someone to talk to, someone just as frustrated and just as grateful for the company, and you both explore, over and over, the myriad reasons that you simply aren’t seeing anything tonight. Then, the white squiggle appears in the headlights. You yell and pull over, hop out of the car, and there it is: your first snake of the night, and your 10,000th western diamondback. Oh well.

Honestly, when I didn’t focus on the lack of snakes, I really had a good time. Mr. Martin was my most regular cruising partner, and we talked a great deal and I always enjoyed our excursions. Blake Tyler was also good company, as was my Dad. Mr. Martin and I also got together with John and Lupita Eagleton, who were visiting the Valley a few weeks ago. The night before we cruised together, they found some neat snakes that we hadn’t seen, and we double-teamed the road-cruising one night to find some more neat stuff. The Eagletons’ finds will be noted in the post. Other than that, not much of a story to share. I hope y’all enjoy seeing the snakes.

NOTE: To save time, I elected not to resize the photos. If it’s really an issue, let me know and I’ll find time to shrink ‘em down a little.

Arizona elegans arenicola, Texas Glossy Snake. This species is among the most common down here, but I had only seen DORs. The Eagletons found both specimens on the night that we road-cruised together.

Adult, Hidalgo County, TX.

Juvenile, Starr County, TX.

Crotalus atrox, Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake. This is easily the most common snake in its habitat, or at least the most readily found.

Starr County, TX:

Hidalgo County, TX:

We also found one in Jim Hogg County.

Ficimia streckeri, Tamaulipan Hook-nosed Snake. One of the cooler snakes I can remember seeing, this one was found by the Eagletons in eastern Hidalgo County, TX.

Pantherophis emoryi, Great Plains Ratsnake. This Hidalgo County specimen was a last-minute find on what became a one-snake night.

Pituophis catenifer sayi, Bullsnake. This was a large bull found in Hidalgo County; he was very friendly when caught, not so friendly when photographed.

Rhinocheilus lecontei, Long-nosed Snake. This youngster from Starr County was found by the Eagletons the night before we met up. We found a much prettier adult later (Hidalgo County), but it was DOR.

Thamnophis marcianus marcianus, Northern Checkered Garter Snake. Both of these snakes were found in Starr County.

Well, that concludes my finds for the summer. I hope you enjoyed seeing everything. Happy herping!
Brian Willey

Re: Summer Herping in the RGV: Part 3 – Road Cruising

Post by Brian Willey »

I don't recall seeing too many F. streckeri posted here. Thanks for sharing!
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

Thank you very much for the series Gene, it has been a fabulous read.

Ian
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

joeysgreen wrote:Thank you very much for the series Gene, it has been a fabulous read.

Ian
Agreed!
IllinoisGuy

Post by IllinoisGuy »

Never heard of F. streckeri before either. Great macro work as well.