Center for North American Herpetology

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bob McKeever

Center for North American Herpetology

Post by Bob McKeever »

Anyone else having trouble opening topics/subtopics on the site's home page?
FrogO_Oeyes

Re: Center for North American Herpetology

Post by FrogO_Oeyes »

Yes, but it's not the site. The problem is with Java settings. My old XP laptop opens it fine, but my new Win8 laptop does not, and I haven't figured out how to fix the settings. Nor have I made much effort, since I need the older system for other things anyway.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Beware...that website is full of viruses...
Travis_W_Taggart

Post by Travis_W_Taggart »

What problems are you experiencing? Hubbs... please elaborate.
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Beware...that website is full of viruses...
It's also got some o' that disgustin' newfangled nomenclature. Watch out, lest ye be infected by the doctrine of Pyron, Burbrink, and their brethren. Amen.

On a more serious note, I have often found that the site works, just really slowly. And I have Windows 8.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Travis_W_Taggart wrote:What problems are you experiencing? Hubbs... please elaborate.

Travis you know he's just trolling and waiting for you to see it. BTW did you know he wrote a book?
Bob McKeever

Post by Bob McKeever »

Apparently not many others with this problem but mine is solved with a switch from Internet Explorer to Safari.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I have heard that the site is infected with malware, spyware and other little goodies that we don't need. I wasn't trolling, and don't care about the nomenclature, but I recently read that the site is infected. Travis, maybe you should do a check on the site with a good anti-virus tool and see for yourself. some viruses can even disable your anti-virus software, so try several. the info came from a good source, so no trolling intended.

OK, I just went to cnah.org and my AVG anti-virus told me it is infected with this: Blackhat SEO (type 1703)
AVG said that portal is unsafe for navigation. Now, Travis...do somethin' about it... 8-)
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

I've had this issue (javascript not loading) for some time now with the CNAH website. The website is also terribly slow. I got tired of having to switch between IE (not here to hash what browser is more superior, a site should be designed to support available options) on the PC and safari on my ipad 1/iphone 4 and just installed firefox. Firefox and Safari load the site fine, save the annoyingly slow response times to load the site; particularly when viewing the North American Herpetofauna pages. Safari will also crash for me when viewing CNAH again by my ipad 1 and via my iphone 4. IE is, again sluggish for the site, and most individual links do not load. In example, in order to view topics under Herpetological Announcements I must click on the blue plus icon next to each sub category. On IE, none of the links for North American Herpetofauna will load. This might also be my security settings, though I'm not getting any alerts from the various programs I run. These issues have been like this for me dating back to when CNAH went to its current website coding.

This is what IE looks like on CNAH (note the lack of clickable links):

And view FF (note the clickable links)