Kankakee Sand Prairies

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ReptileLover89

Kankakee Sand Prairies

Post by ReptileLover89 »

Hey all!
I have been thinking of heading to the Kankakee Sands Preserve in search of some bull snakes and racerunners. I have read and heard a lot about the area and have been wanting to drive over there. I live close by but wanted to see who has gone here and if they have had luck? Any advice for a newer herper? I have started numerous threads but none in this area because I didn't know their was a MIDWEST CHAPTER lol THANKS
NickAsher

Re: Kankakee Sand Prairies

Post by NickAsher »

Last time I was there the grass was so high on the tracks that you couldnt pass it. I would wait till it started to die off. Plus the flips sites in that area didn't yield anything. Ild wait till mid fall.
Tuataurifer

Post by Tuataurifer »

Im assuming your talking about Indiana, but in the off chance you are talking about Illinois, always ask for permission before going on to private proiperty, or potentially private property. They don't play around up there.
justinm

Post by justinm »

It's generally frowned upon to openly discuss areas that aren't nature preserves and have protection. Have fun looking for Bullsnakes up there...
JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler »

I am familiar with the area and would be happy to meet you there sometime. I agree that fall would be better. Let me know when you will be I'm the area and I will try to make it.

JB
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

I maybe headed up there on august 30th just for the hell up it.