Loving my DSLR

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Ecto Hunter

Loving my DSLR

Post by Ecto Hunter »

Since my last post I've purchased a Canon T3i and I'm very pleased with it. At the moment I am using the kit 18-55mm lens but will (relatively) soon be looking for a decent macro lens. Anyway, here are some of the animals I've encountered since having it.

Coluber (Masticophis) flagellum

Necturus lodingi

Lampropeltis elapsoides

Pantherophis alleghaniensis

Thamnophis sauratus

Desmognathus monticola

Lampropeltis c. rhombomaculata

Desmognathus aeneus

Siren intermedia (type)

Carphophis amoenus

Desmognathus ocoee

Tantilla coronata

Pantherophis alleghanienses

Eurycea aquatica

Larval Gyrinopholus p. dunni

Lampropeltis getula

Desmognathus quadramaculatus

Plethodon chattahoochee

Nerodia s. pleuralis

Necturus cf. beyeri

Pseudotriton ruber

Storeria dekayi

Plethodon petraeus

Desmognathus marmoratus

Eurycea lucifuga

Hyla andersonii

Thanks for looking and critiques and suggestions are more than welcome.
-Robb Herrington
BillMcGighan

Re: Loving my DSLR

Post by BillMcGighan »

Gee whiz, Rob. You've been busy..
Great mix of creatures and pics.

PS
I have the T2. Great starter and, for me, ender!!
Of course, the Photo forum has the best info, but I'm very happy with the sigma 105mm macro for herps. I like it because you can do "in situs" and venomous macros from a safe distance.
kwross

Post by kwross »

Boy oh boy is this a fantastic post !!!!! I love the assortment of herps !!!! :thumb:
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Excellent finds and photos! :beer: I love the shovelnose (?) salamander. Strange little creature, that.
gbeck

Post by gbeck »

Great photos and awesome finds! As far as a macro, I have a T2i (pretty much the same as the T3i), and I use the same 18-55 kit lens for macro, as seen here:

The lizard's head was about 1/2 an inch from nose-to-neck.
ImageSide-Blotched Lizard (Uta stansburiana) by Gavin Beck, on Flickr

I am using these extension tubes, and they are awesome. They allow you to retain communication between the camera and the lens, so you can change the aperture, use autofocus (though I almost never do with macro), and use the IS that the kit lens has. Also, they have the tripod mounts on the bottom, which I've used to attach a bracket for my flash, making it so that no matter what combination I have with these tubes, my flash can remain the same distance from the end of the lens, versus being stuck on the camera and not reaching the end of the lens when you use all tubes at once. I'm working on a post to show what I mean about my rig.

A few issues with this set-up though: As @BillMcGighan mentioned, sometimes a little distance is nice. You have to be inches away from your subject with this set-up. Also, I've found the this kit lens isn't as sharp as I'd like, but for the price, it does well enough.

A few more examples:

Size: 1/2" without tail extended.
ImageNorthern Scorpion (Paruroctonus boreus) by Gavin Beck, on Flickr

Size: 1/4"
ImageCuckoo Wasp (Chrysidinae) by Gavin Beck, on Flickr

Size: 3/8"
ImageDaring Jumping Spider (Phidippus audax) by Gavin Beck, on Flickr
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Yes, these are great pictures and great finds. All of those salamanders makes me eager for fall.

A DSLR makes a huge difference compared to point and shoot cameras. A macro lens or extension tubes also seem to be important. I have heard good things about Sigma's 105mm and Tamron's 90mm. There is also a 150mm worth looking at, if you have the $$. Canon also makes a 100mm macro lens as well, but most people have told me the off-brand ones are as good.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Beautiful, beautiful pictures of wonderful creatures!
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

Thanks, all!
captainjack0000 wrote:A DSLR makes a huge difference compared to point and shoot cameras. A macro lens or extension tubes also seem to be important. I have heard good things about Sigma's 105mm and Tamron's 90mm. There is also a 150mm worth looking at, if you have the $$. Canon also makes a 100mm macro lens as well, but most people have told me the off-brand ones are as good.
I have looked at the Canon 100mm and it is very appealing. I love the fact that it is water resistant. But, at almost $1,000, i don't think it is a realistic option for me at this point in life.
BillMcGighan wrote:I have the T2. Great starter and, for me, ender!!
Of course, the Photo forum has the best info, but I'm very happy with the sigma 105mm macro for herps. I like it because you can do "in situs" and venomous macros from a safe distance.
The Sigma 105mm is a much more reasonable lens, financially. I could definitely see myself purchasing this lens in the coming months. We'll see how good Santa thought I was this past year...
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Very nice variety and great shots. Your doing pretty well with the lens you have. Enjoyed your flickr photostream too. Is there some reason why you have some of the photos as "private?" The Mole Kingsnake for example.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I ended up with the Sigma 105mm and have not been disappointed.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

gbeck wrote:Great photos and awesome finds! As far as a macro, I have a T2i (pretty much the same as the T3i), and I use the same 18-55 kit lens for macro
I agree on both accounts. I have many lenses that I use but the 18-55IS can be a great lens, and one I still use on almost every herping trip. It has a lot of versatility and sharp. Most good photography has to do with good lenses, no doubt, but even more is good lighting. Invest in a Speedlite or something similar and use a softbox. You'll notice quite a difference. Anyway, these photos are NOT bad by any means, as is!

Good variety of herps, btw.

-Jake