Window of Opportunity?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jimi

Window of Opportunity?

Post by Jimi »

This rain sure seems to be presenting a brief opportunity for some interesting finds, especially in NW Utah and NE NV. E.g., the notorious Nevada milk. I hope somebody has the schedule flexibility and the gas money to get out there and see what they can see.

I got the money, honey, but I ain't got the time. Bummer.

Cheers,
Jimi

simpleyork

Re: Window of Opportunity?

Post by simpleyork »

if only, just got off from vacation a day before the rain, went cruising twice last week and got skunked

Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

I got the time, but not the money haha. Saving up for the national meeting. I may try somewhere close to home tomorrow night though.

Rye

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Rancorrye wrote:I got the time, but not the money haha.
Perhaps you've found a benefactor in Jimi, who could bankroll your expedition and live vicariously through your exploits? 8-)

Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
Rancorrye wrote:I got the time, but not the money haha.
Perhaps you've found a benefactor in Jimi, who could bankroll your expedition and live vicariously through your exploits? 8-)
I like the way you think! What do you say Jimi? :lol: :lol:

Jimi

Post by Jimi »

That's awesome. And not the highest and best use of my money. It'll keep until I get the time.

However...

It would take some legwork (pitching the idea, getting buy-in and then approval, and then doing the paperwork before, during, and after), but there is a precedent for my agency paying volunteer herpers mileage to survey for snakes. And right now there is a small pot of money that could be used for such a thing, in a specific area (sort of a long strip up & down the UT/NV border region). I won't do the legwork if I can't get any takers. And I certainly can't make any promises - I'm not "the decider" here. But, I can at least look into it, if there's any interest.

Cheers,
Jimi

simpleyork

Post by simpleyork »

that would be a great opportunity if it could be planned out and executed, count me as a possible volunteer Jimi

MadManMoore

Post by MadManMoore »

I am definitely up to help out.

s_stocking

Post by s_stocking »

Jimi, I'm definitely game. With enough lead time I can probably support any southern areas along the border. I'm trying to make time to hit the Virgin Mtns late this week Fri or Sat-

Steve

Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Looks like there's a major scrum going on for that pot of cash, and paying volunteer gas money for snake surveys is not deemed the highest priority by "the deciders". Sorry guys, I gave it a shot and came up empty. It happens, especially in these lean times. The buzzards have very sharp eyes...and empty bellies.

However these opportunities come along not too infrequently. The trick is to be ready to respond immediately when they do, not be caught unprepared. It would be worthwhile, I think, for you guys to establish some mutual familiarity with the principal "decider" here, so that she thinks of you when funding or experiential opportunities come along, or when she has a need and no ready answer.

We're also losing probably our best herpetologist in the near future. I'm not sure what they'll be looking for to replace him. If they hire another rare-fish biologist (not unlikely...), we'll need your help even more, with managing herps.

I leave you with those thoughts. Next move is yours.

Cheers,
Jimi

MadManMoore

Post by MadManMoore »

Well we appreciate you trying. I think I speak for many, that if the opportunity arises to help out, we are all in.

Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Thanks, 3M.

I should also add, for any of you that haven't done so yet, that getting to know the various staff in the field offices (regions) is also helpful. It gets them names of people they could call if they needed help, and it gets you the chance to have some experiences you wouldn't otherwise ever get, and contribute to herp conservation in ways you couldn't otherwise.

southwest Utah (S region) - Kevin Wheeler
west-central Utah (C region) - Chris Crockett
northwest Utah (N region) - Sam McKay
southeast Utah (SE region) - Dan Keller
northeast Utah (NE region) - Mike Fiorelli

The 2 Wasatch Front guys (Chris and Sam) have by far the biggest human populations to draw from, so have had the most impetus and opportunity to develop volunteer and citizen-science programs. All 5 are good guys though, don't be shy about saying hello to any or all of them.

Cheers,
Jimi

Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I'm hitting it this weekend. Full moon and all. Where should I send the bill Jimi?

s_stocking

Post by s_stocking »

Jimi,

FYI - I hiked the Virgin Mtns yesterday 8-Noon. I hiked up Whitney's Pocket canyon about half-way, then hiked up to the ridge line in the burned out area from the 2004 fire, up to about 6000 ft. It was great views, cool and breezy on the ridge line. Bottomline outside of Uta's I saw no Herps, not even A Collard lizard, or Sceloporus (no uniformis at lower elevations, nor tristichus at higher elevations). Lots of moisture under the rocks up on the ridge line, but it was more spotty down in the canyon, some areas were completely dry, some areas there was some moisture under the rocks-

Steve