Powell County, KY Suggestions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Powell County, KY Suggestions

Post by Noah M »

I'm going to be in Powell County, KY for one day in August. I've never really herped in KY. What should I be looking for, and how should I go about finding them? I'm guessing rock flipping and log flipping by streams will produce something. Are there better methods? What would you target?

Any suggestions and hints will be appreciated. I'll be there with family and friends, so herping may not be the first order of the day, but I like look around while I can.
Coluber Constrictor

Re: Powell County, KY Suggestions

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Night cruising for copperheads, maybe? I don't know the area at all, hopefully someone who does will see this and chime in.
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

Cruise for sure...I would head up to that Natural Bridge area and cruise roads near streams (I have never herped in that area though)
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Cruising should be good, especially the middle to last half of this month. When will you be around? What would you like to see? There's huge diversity in Powell County.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I am going to be there late next week, right about the middle of the month. I am most interested in easy stuff or stuff you find in numbers, since I will be with non-herpers. They're not too keen on doing super rugged cliff hangin' adventures. Most anything will probably be new for me. I'd love to find a milksnake or a worm snake, but I'd be happy flipping rocks & logs and finding salamanders. So really, I'd be happy with just about anything.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! :D
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Hey Captain,

I sent you a pm.

-Jb
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Thank you Jason