Grant County, IN Suggestions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Grant County, IN Suggestions

Post by Noah M »

Hi all,

I grew up in Indiana, but didn't really get into herping until attending college at Purdue in Tippecanoe County. There we would flip logs for sallies or go cruising in spring rains for sallies. I never really targeted snakes while there. Now that I'm down in Florida, snakes have become a more common sighting. I'm going to be back home for a few days in August in northern Grant County, near southern Wabash County and Miami County.

I'm not asking for anybody's personal locations. There is some public land in the region I'll probably explore. But can anyone suggest techniques for finding things other than frogs? I feel it will be too hot and late in the year for salamanders, but would log flipping still produce anything? What is the best way to find anything up there? I ask about anything other than frogs because my dad has a pond in his backyard, and I can find frogs with relative ease right there. I don't really know what else could be found in those counties.

Thanks and I'll be sure and post my finds here when I return next month.
justinm

Re: Grant County, IN Suggestions

Post by justinm »

Find any water ways. It's going to be hot and won't be the ideal time to herp to be honest. It can be a productive area, but this isn't a good time. Creeks, Rivers and lakes will be the best bet, if not going out when the temps come down at night or early mornings.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

It's going to be hot and won't be the ideal time to herp to be honest
I suspected as much, but this is when I have the time to visit family. I may go to Huntington County. There are no records in the HERP database from that county, so anything I find will be of value.
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

That's funny . I'll be starting college at Purdue next week. Wish I could help you with spots but I don't know the area yet.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Enjoy Purdue. There are some pretty areas on that side of the state, especially around the Wabash since it is a proper river by the time it reaches that area.
JoeDANG

Post by JoeDANG »

ThatFrogGuy wrote:That's funny . I'll be starting college at Purdue next week. Wish I could help you with spots but I don't know the area yet.
I did a little fishing up there this summer on the Wabash and I highly recommend taking a good camera on a kayak or canoe trip, especially south of Lafayette. There are a lot of softshells around and a TON of bald eagles. It's a great trip I'm hoping to make again this fall when the leaves change.