Backyard Herping - atrox behavior

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ratsnakehaven

Backyard Herping - atrox behavior

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Was cleaning up this dead barrel cactus yesterday morning and found a cavitiy underneath with an atrox in it....
More pics to come...
This rattlesnake was obviously living under the barrel cactus. Here's what I think the behavior is...

When the barrel cactus was alive there was a packrat nest next to it. The site was also covered with pencil cholla. I've left the nest alone for about six years and have seen numerous herps coming and going from the rat nest, such as various lizards and snakes, including coachwhips, gophers, and rattlesnakes. The rats had a tunnel from the barrel cactus to their nest and out to other places in the desert. What went wrong this year is that the pencil cactus started dieing off leaving the nest more exposed. Also, the barrel started to die as the rats began spending more and more time underneath it. Eventually, I cleaned up much of the dead cholla, and finally moved the dying barrel. The rats had already moved away, or were eaten by something.

I think we can see why the snakes liked living under the barrel cactus and in the pack rat nest. Obviously, they were getting the occasional meal. But also, the cacti and the rat nest provided shelter for the snakes. They also provided shelter for lizards, which could have been another food source for the snakes. The pack rats probably didn't need the cactus to be alive to continue living at this site, but I didn't want them to continue killing off all the cactus in the area. This site is right next to the road out front and an eye sore for our front yard. The rats have lost a nesting site and the snakes have lost a temporary home, but there are plenty of other sites for them. Just across the street there is a home of a snow bird and there's a pack rat nest right next to the road, not to mention tons of other rodent burrows on the property. I know, because I caretake this property in the summer.

There are many burrows and other nesting places on my property where the rodents live. We have lots of mice and jumping rats and a few places where there are brush piles which house pack rats and other creatures, such as snakes and lizards. I do try to keep ground squirrels and rabbits off the property, because they cause so much damage, but I see plenty of snakes and lizards which are attracted to the other rodents and shelters. Probably the most dominant rodent eaters on our property are the rattlers and gopher snakes; but we do have other residents, such as the longnose, coachwhip, and night snakes. Some snakes are attracted to the abundant lizard populations. The occasional coachwhip undoubtedly take lizards and other snakes.
Rothdigga

Re: Backyard Herping - atrox behavior

Post by Rothdigga »

Super cool observations and of course much jealousy of your backyard and all of it's finds. Thanks for the document Terry.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Thanks, Roth. I enjoy sharing any cool observations I get in the yard... :)
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

I'll be out in your zone next week from Mon-Wed trying to see what I can find. I got a great tip on a canyon thick with Trogons as well so it'll be a birding/herping fun time for me. I'll say what's up if I see you out and about. Although your backyard yields more stuff than I'll actually bump into. I should just get a chair and sit there for 3 days....
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

J - I'm gone Mon and Wed afternoons, but home all day Tuesday. I like meeting folks I know from the internet, so give me a shout. My contact info is on my site... ;)

Best....Terry
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

ratsnakehaven wrote:J - I'm gone Mon and Wed afternoons, but home all day Tuesday. I like meeting folks I know from the internet, so give me a shout. My contact info is on my site... ;)

Best....Terry
I'll let you know if we'll be around Tues. I've actually come by your house before when me and Kevin Price stopped by to check out your digs and what not. I've still got the address and phone number saved in my phone. I'll let you know.
Thanks!
Jason
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Ok, sounds good... ;)