Maine Made

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

JakeScott

Maine Made

Post by JakeScott »

The state of Maine is stunning in it's natural beauty, laidback residents and diverse fauna. It is also the state where my birth certificate resides. Most of my family also still reside there, including my father. I moved away with my mother to Maryland when I was 10, but still was able to spend my summers with my father. Most of my days were filled with being outdoors chasing around animals, since he lived in a rural area with not much else to do. The herps in the area were my biggest interest, and there were plenty to see. Even though it's a boreal land, the herps are plentiful.

I'd like to share these awesome critters with you. All of the herps here are from my family's property or very close proximity (all in Somerset County).

First some amphibians:

Wood Frog (Lithobates sylvaticus). A common sight on the pinewood forest floor.

ImageLithobates sylvaticus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageRana sylvatica or Lithobates sylvaticus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Mink Frog (Lithobates septentrionalis). Not just a clever name; although I've never smelled a mink, I hear they stink pretty awful, and so does this frog when it is agitated. They can be heard calling in beaver dammed ponds and in bogs. They are a fairly small ranid that can be heard calling throughout summer from dawn till dusk.

ImageLithobates septentrionalis by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageRana septentrionalis by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Green Frog (Lithobates clamitans melanota). By far the most commonly encountered frog. Not usually found far from water, these frogs are found side-by-side with Mink Frogs and they sometimes hybridize.

ImageRana [Lithobates] clamitans melanota by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

American Bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus). Common and impressive, these frogs can be found in most bodies of water, even at the edges of large lakes.

ImageRana catesbeiana or Lithobates catesbeianus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Gray Treefrog (Hyla versicolor). These frogs will call at almost anytime, day or night. On raining evenings in the summer their choruses can be deafening. As a kid I remember finding these frogs and thinking how weird it was that we a treefrog in Maine, something I always associated with the tropics. To this day their calls are among my favorite.

ImageHyla versicolor by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageHyla versicolor by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

I haven't seen a Northern Leopard Frog (Lithobates pipiens) in Maine in at least 15 years. They are one the many species that have disappeared from their normal range.
Pickerel Frog (Lithobates palustris) are the closest I can find. Maine enjoys a wet topography, moss covers everything and that allows many amphibians to venture into the woodlands. This frog was found high up on a hill at my great grandparents old farm. No permanent water is in close proximity.

ImageLithobates palustris by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

American Toad (Bufo americanus).

ImageBufo americanus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Blue Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma laterale). Although technically these salamanders are within the hybrid zone with the Jefferson Salamander (A. jeffersonianum), I always believed these looked more blue spotted. I've found them in early spring through summer under debris around my father's property.

(ImageAmbystoma laterale x jeffersonianum by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageAmbystoma laterale-jeffersonianum by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma maculatum). In late spring these salamanders migrate right in front of my father's house. You can find them along side blue spotted salamanders under the same cover throughout the summer months.

ImageAmbystoma maculatum by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageAmbystoma maculatum by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Northern Dusky Salamander (Desmognathus fuscus).

ImageDesmognathus fuscus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageDesmognathus fuscus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Northern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea bislineata). Semi-common alongside dusky salamanders in a rocky creek near my father's house.

ImageEurycea bislineata by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Red-spotted Newt (Notophthalmus v. viridescens).

ImageNotophthalmus v. viridescens by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageNotophthalmus viridescens viridescens by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Eastern Painted Turtle (Chrysemys p. picta). Once extremely common in the ponds near my father's place, they have become less and less seen in recent years. When I was a kid I'd spend countless hours canoeing and catching these turtles. They would line logs and rocks in high numbers, but I'm lucky to see one or two on a given day.

ImageChrysemys picta picta by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageChrysemys picta picta by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina serpentina). I remember when I was about 8 my father caught a large snapper and he decided to eat it. I really didn't like that idea, but he did it anyway. I couldn't beat him up, I was 8. He did end up giving me the shell, so I did think that was kind of cool.

ImageChelydra serpentina by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageChelydra serpentina serpentina by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

A few of the reptiles:

Wood Turtle (Glyptemys insculpta). I have never encountered this turtle in Maine before. I found this one while looking over a culvert down into a rocky stream, a stream I find dusky and two-lined salamanders in. In fact, this turtle was engorging itself on dusky salamander eggs under a rock. I shared the sighting with my family, none of which had ever seen one and most of them spend a lot of time outdoors fishing and hunting. I hope to see him next year.

ImageGlyptemys insculpta by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Maritime Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis pallidulus). These snakes are quite common in this area of Maine and can be found in all sorts of habitats; ranging from mountaintop woodlands, to bottomland bogs.

ImageThamnophis sirtalis pallidulus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageThamhophrs sirtalis pallidula by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Northern Red-bellied Snake (Storeria o. occipitomaculata). In this area this snake seems to be the most commonly encountered under debris. I can regularly find one or two sharing a single small rock or piece of wood. They can have a slate gray or a light brown dorsal color, or anything in between.

ImageStoreria occipitomaculata occipitomaculata by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis t. triangulum). I find these most often around the property where the old farm house and barn that my great grandfather once resided on. I was able to lay a bunch of junk around the property and these have produced. Both of the below examples were found in the same area. The color difference is amazing.

ImageLampropeltis triangulum triangulum by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

ImageLampropeltis triangulum triangulum by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Smooth Green Snake (Opheodrys v. vernalis). This snake has been a thorn in my side for many years. As a kid I would find them very frequently around my father's house. They would almost always be in the open, grassy areas. I was even able to keep one for a long period of time and it eventually laid eggs and was able to hatch them. However, they have certainly reduced in numbers for reasons unknown. I have been searching for several years with no success. I would look in areas that have produced in the past and in new, seemingly perfect, habitat. This year I finally turned on up at the edge of a wild flower field on my father's property.

ImageOpheodrys vernalis by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

Some scenery shots:

An outcropping where Maritime Garter Snakes and Red-bellied Snakes are found.
ImageAcadia National Park by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

The bog where Mink, Bull and Green Frogs are found.
ImageThe Bog by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

The wildflower field where the Smooth Green Snake was found.
ImageWild Flowers by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr

A state that I feel is underappreciated, I hope you enjoyed this small taste.

Thank you!

-Jake Scott
chrish

Re: Maine Made

Post by chrish »

Great post and great photos. Its always nice to see some of the boreal fauna which are so foreign to us southerners.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Great post, Jake! As someone who has spent almost no time in the northeast USA, I am pleasantly surprised by the variety of herps in Maine. All that and lobster too! Wonderful photos, too.

John
Dr. Dark

Post by Dr. Dark »

Great post...nice animals and excellent photographs!
justinm

Post by justinm »

I've never herped far enough North to get a Mink frog, and someday I will. Very good shots man. Is it me or do the two "Blue Spotteds" have different tails? The second one has a laterally compressed tail, where as the previous one doesn't seem to.
Flintdiver

Post by Flintdiver »

Great stuff ! I love Maine too, did you get any Ribbons or Northern waters ?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

That really was great, Jake.

Understansably, we don't see much from Maine (except from Stephen King).
although I've never smelled a mink, I hear they stink pretty awful, and so does this frog when it is agitated.
I don't think I ever heard that expaination. That's interesting.

You documenting Milk diversity is pretty cool, and my impression is that they follow Bergmann's rule, at least the ones I've seen in Vermont.
gbin

Post by gbin »

What a great report on a little-reported area! Very nicely done, Jake! :thumb:

Gerry
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Cool post. The milk snakes and wood turtle seem very exotic to a southerner. :lol:

About how long are snakes active up that way? May-September or so?
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Beautiful creatures. Jake, you make Maine really appealing.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Thanks for posting this, Jake! Some of us in MA have talked about going to Maine to find smooth greens, because they are supposed to be easier to find up there. :lol:

One of these days I will make the trek up there to go for my lifer mink frog.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Amazing post! The wood turtle encounter must have been somethin' else! Love the contrast on that first milksnake! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Really nice post Jake! I'll bet you experienced some reminiscing time putting this together too :D . It's certainly awesome to spend one's youth in a rural setting - I was fortunate enough to do just that while growing up in Ohio :beer: .
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Great post! This is a really well put together. I love the northern bogs and swamps in the spring! That spring melt and all the life that just appears out of nowhere is awesome. Super pics. Thanks for posting.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Thanks all, for the kind words. Without a lie, it is my favorite place to be in the world.........in the summer month. I would have wrote more about it and my experiences and added more scenery photos, but as you all know, these posts can drag and take a long time. By the time I ended this one, my eyes were crossing and my arms both fell asleep.
Flintdiver wrote:Great stuff ! I love Maine too, did you get any Ribbons or Northern waters ?
I've never seen any ribbons or waters there. I think this part of Somerset County, they don't quite reach. If they did, I'd like to think I would have seen one. But who knows, it would be the very edge of their range, if anything, so that might be the reason for their scarcity.

-Jake
Brandon D

Post by Brandon D »

Man I love that dark eastern Milk, that thing is awesome, great habitat shots too. awesome post thanks for sharing :beer:
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Beautiful habitat, Jake. Have you done any dipnetting in any of the bogs or vernal pools for larval salamanders?

Interesting about the smooth greens - I used to find them in Connecticut as well, but none in recent history.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Oddly enough, I've seen two smooth greens in MA in the past 24 hours. Mike found one last night at dusk, and I found one around noon today at a spot about 25 minutes from our house.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Josh, most of the bogs, like the one pictured, have "large" predatory fish in them (only Notophthalmus in them). There's a few small, semi-permanent fishless pools nearby that I have found spotted and blue spotted salamander larvae in. I didn't check this year, but my brother (who lives up there) says he saw large migrations of spotteds a month ago, so I know there'd be larvae in there still.

-Jake
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

JakeScott wrote:Josh, most of the bogs, like the one pictured, have "large" predatory fish in them (only Notophthalmus in them). There's a few small, semi-permanent fishless pools nearby that I have found spotted and blue spotted salamander larvae in. I didn't check this year, but my brother (who lives up there) says he saw large migrations of spotteds a month ago, so I know there'd be larvae in there still.

-Jake

Ahh; too bad about the large fish - maybe make a rotenone purchase in the near future? I totally made that bog picture my background.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Great pics and narrative Jake. I think I need to visit Maine with you sometime... :thumb:
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Very nice! My sister lives near Winterport and herping her property has produced pretty much everything you just showed (except wood turtle and mink frog)
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I would love to find a Mink frog. I visit their range but have never seen one. sigh. Great post as always!!
Oh, and great job on the Grass snakes!

Tim
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

Thanks for sharing. I especially liked the wood turtle, smooth green, and that dark eastern milk. I've seen milk snakes in a lot of different shades and colors, but I've never seen one like that.
ZantiMissKnit wrote:Thanks for posting this, Jake! Some of us in MA have talked about going to Maine to find smooth greens, because they are supposed to be easier to find up there. :lol:

One of these days I will make the trek up there to go for my lifer mink frog.
Hey, at least you and Mike have seen one at all. On the plus side, I just found my lifer red-bellied snake in Bristol County on Tuesday, so I feel like there's still hope for me yet. Hit me up on FB if you guys feel like heading out to Boyden or being shown around some of my more productive sites here on the South Coast.
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

BillMcGighan wrote:You documenting Milk diversity is pretty cool, and my impression is that they follow Bergmann's rule, at least the ones I've seen in Vermont.
It's hard to say. The milk snakes in the US do become much smaller as you move down in latitude, but they start getting bigger again in Mexico and especially in Central America. Honduran milk snakes are about as big (and robust) as eastern kings here in the States. When Ruane et al. finish their work, I suspect that they might find the "milk snake" as we know it to be comprised of several (and perhaps many) species, but as long as they form a (monophyletic) clade that leaves them more closely related to each other than to other species of kingsnake, Bergmann's rule goes right out the window as it relates to Lampropeltis triangulum. I can't wait to see what they find!

EDIT: It might actually be done already. Gonna look now.