Wanted -Brown Vinesnake Oxybelis aeneus observations

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fundad

Wanted -Brown Vinesnake Oxybelis aeneus observations

Post by Fundad »

There seems to be concern over the population status of Oxybelis since the fires went through the area a few years ago...

There are a couple records in HERP from the last couple of years, but thats it. If anyone has any sightings of these guys over the past couple years, if they could add them to the HERP database that would be great.

Please keep your eye out for them if in the area.

We will likely put a data request together for them at the end of the year.

Thank You
Brian Hinds
International Coordinator
Rothdigga

Re: Wanted -Brown Vinesnake Oxybelis aeneus observations

Post by Rothdigga »

Headed into that zone in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to find one and add to the database. I've only been in the area they're found 1 time and didn't find any last time.
Bummer if the fires really jacked them that bad since their zone is already so small in the US..
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Bummer if the fires really jacked them that bad since their zone is already so small in the US..
Agreed which is what the AZ Dept of Fish and Game would like to know as well.

Thank for your reply and possible photo observation adds.. :thumb:

Fundad
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Ask Richard Cazares (DezertWerx) on Facebook. I know him and Frank had found some last year in Arizona.
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

I've one vouchered from last year, and another recorded that I deleted from HERP, lacking the photo voucher. In this case, I may re-enter it, as it is from an area that had wildfire activity, and was 4 months after one such fire. I anticipate a few more records this year.

I was just in their area, but heavy rains put a damper on non-amphibian herp activity. The habitat still looks great, ample foliage throughout the canyons.

In-situ.

Even after the burns there are still approximately 10 trillion spots like that within their limited known US range. And that's not their only preferred hangout. I suspect they're a bit more terrestrial than they are given credit for. Which is why I'm eager to get back out there to accumulate more data.