An announcement

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kayfabe

An announcement

Post by kayfabe »

I have been asked by NAFHA to take over the Presidency of the Midwest chapter until the next round of nominations that will take place in November. At that time If a new President is nominated I will gladly step back down to the VP position that I was holding, unless a new VP is nominated also. I feel that I will not have the time to commit to the presidency as I will be returning to college starting in the fall. All that aside I do have a question for everyone. What can we do in this chapter to get us more engaged as a group? To get more activity on threads?
Chris Smith

Re: An announcement

Post by Chris Smith »

Thanks for stepping up! Not sure about how to get more forum involvement.

-Chris
JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler »

More engaged as a group/activity on threads:

Group outings such as a bio blitz.
Encourage communication - ie: I am going herping on Saturday anyone want to tag along?
Contests - Midwest photo of the week/month; range extension of the month; data entries
Look to successes of other Chapters.
Ask for help with projects.
Ask for more involvement.

All of these take time, which is tough for everyone, including myself. I also know that I will go the extra distance or try harder if it means helping someone else or even to participate in a contest.

I often hesitate to post or comment as I am a novice at best. I don't feel I have much to add. That is probably a majority of our members. If you can encourage and definitely not discourage participation, you will get more.

I hope something here can help.

John B.
kayfabe

Post by kayfabe »

Thanks for the ideas! One thing I was thinking of doing was "Theme" threads, such as "smallest herp you have photographed", "Best eye", "Favorite Find" etc.

Another idea was Voucher a new county! Whether it be a painted turtle or Bullfrog. Find a county near you that hasn't been vouchered on HERP and fill in the map! Not sure how that would work with many users now using Herpmapper as well.

Let's keep the ideas flowing!!
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

Since alot of the people in the midewest probably wont make it to the nafha annually meeting how about a herping trip on the same weekend? Group outing sound fun also.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

NickAsher wrote:Since alot of the people in the midewest probably wont make it to the nafha annually meeting how about a herping trip on the same weekend? Group outing sound fun also.
nick, that's a great idea. the only thing that worries me is taking too many folks to a great area. many people on this forum are looking for a free ride(potential poachers). they do not have the patience to spend the time to learn to find their own "spots". my opinion is that when one has put the time and diligence in, they will finally realize how precious it truly is and therefore, protect it. i'm good with the idea. i do think that the focus should be in a large "area" and not a "spot". snake road is a great place in the midwest. it is well known and no secrets would be out. anybody have any suggestions of where to go(the closer to wisconsin the better :lol: ).

johnny B(JB Boiler) chimed in unexpectedly with some great points. i like the idea of a bio blitz. if any are interested in coming to wisconsin, i can ask my contacts at the DNR if there are any areas they are interested in. if this were to be the case, any attendees should understand that it is a data mission and that species/specimen numbers is not the priority. just some fun with friends. gotta have beer in there somewhere. it's wisconsin for crying-out-loud.

kayfabe, i got your back on this. if you"d like, i can take over as VP again and try to stay on top of the political end along with you. pm me if needed.

-ben
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

I do have some bioblitz upcoming that I will post the dates when I find out.
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

muskiemagnet wrote:
NickAsher wrote:Since alot of the people in the midewest probably wont make it to the nafha annually meeting how about a herping trip on the same weekend? Group outing sound fun also.
nick, that's a great idea. the only thing that worries me is taking too many folks to a great area. many people on this forum are looking for a free ride(potential poachers). they do not have the patience to spend the time to learn to find their own "spots". my opinion is that when one has put the time and diligence in, they will finally realize how precious it truly is and therefore, protect it. i'm good with the idea. i do think that the focus should be in a large "area" and not a "spot". snake road is a great place in the midwest. it is well known and no secrets would be out. anybody have any suggestions of where to go(the closer to wisconsin the better :lol: ).

johnny B(JB Boiler) chimed in unexpectedly with some great points. i like the idea of a bio blitz. if any are interested in coming to wisconsin, i can ask my contacts at the DNR if there are any areas they are interested in. if this were to be the case, any attendees should understand that it is a data mission and that species/specimen numbers is not the priority. just some fun with friends. gotta have beer in there somewhere. it's wisconsin for crying-out-loud.

kayfabe, i got your back on this. if you"d like, i can take over as VP again and try to stay on top of the political end along with you. pm me if needed.

-ben

Yea keep your secret places but like you said somewhere like snake road or any other well known area would be idea.
kayfabe

Post by kayfabe »

I am totally open to the idea of doing a Midwest gathering down here in S. IL. I will be returning to school starting in August, but will be able to do a weekend day trips near here. If there are other areas that could handle a large group that you know of let's hear it!! Snake Road always seems to be the go to spot and has great facilities nearby for camping. I wont be able to get away from this area as my schedule won't allow it at this time. If Snake Road is the place everyone agrees on I will start contacting the parties needed to secure permits and such for a group. If there are other areas and someone who can handle to logistics of setting stuff up in a different state/area feel free to chime in!
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

Since i already got planed trip for Sept 27th how about doing that weekend. I got some others that may join me.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

In the AZ Chapter we have a scorecard for the data contest. I think the Midwest Chapter needs a scorecard to keep track of its members data entries. It's a way for members to keep track each year and compare themselves to other members. It's nice to see your name there and to see how others are doing. I think it promotes data collection too. Let me know if you need help with this.

Cheers ... Terry :beer:
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Did any of this come through?
kayfabe

Post by kayfabe »

Sorry for dropping the ball guys...I unexpectedly decided to go back to school a semester earlier than I had planned. On top of that a few personal issues made for visits here few and far between.