Aggressive Ringer

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Aggressive Ringer

Post by Noah M »

All of my guide books tell me Ringneck snakes are not very aggressive and seldom bite. So when I found one crossing the road last night, I didn't hesitate in the slightest to grab it.

It was pretty, and I wanted it to do the typical tail curl and show some bright colors, but this one had other plans in mind. I was unaware of it at the time, but during being held, it was already eager to taste me.

And then it found a nice soft piece of me it could get its tiny head onto. And it bit me harder than I expected. I still have two red marks on my knuckle this morning. It pinched a bit, and tingled. Probably its venom/salavia doing its thing.

It wouldn't let go for anything. I eventually had to creep my fingernail under its jaw and pry the little thing off. No matter how fasionable it might have been, I wasn't about to go driving home with a ringer on my knuckle.

So, how seldom do they really bite?
Josh Holbrook

Re: Aggressive Ringer

Post by Josh Holbrook »

captainjack0000 wrote:So, how seldom do they really bite?
Interesting. Seldom enough where I've never had one do it, but different necks of the woods have difference in animal's ecologies.
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Maybe snakes were cranky last night. I found an Eastern Milk that wanted nothing more than to bite and chew.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I've had them attempt a sideways bite, like in your picture where it's head is in the palm of your hand. I've never had one actually latch onto a finger.

I've had maybe 3 of them in my life attempt to bite.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Maybe coincidence (and of no other point to make), but all the Ringers I've had bite were males, as is yours.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

I've had a few bite me. Always find it amusing. Usually setting them on the ground so they feel like they have a chance to escape is enough to get them to let go. I once found two under the same rock and while holding them, one latched onto the other for a while. I have a photo somewhere.

Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Usually setting them on the ground so they feel like they have a chance to escape is enough to get them to let go
I tried this first, and it just sat there gnawing on me. So I tried pouring some water on it from a water bottle in my car. Nothing.

It was rather comical. I had my mother-in-law with me and she was laughing the whole time. The "big ol' snake wrangler" brought down by the tiniest of snakes.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Lol! That is bizzare!